Buffalo DriveStation DDR hard drive: ok for video editing?

Dr. John R. Brinkley

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

The speeds on this are supposedly very fast due to a novel way it handles memory, and which could be the future of how drives are made. And it's only $150 or less. This drive has won many awards yet I haven't been able to find any information on line in regards to its capacity for video editing. I was hoping not to be the canary in the mine on this one but may have to. Ha.

Never used one but looking it over it probably won't be as great as you might think at first glance. This drive has 1 GB of ram built in and that is what allows it to reach such great speeds, if you copy a 500 MB file it will go right into ram which is super fast then the drive will transfer the data to disc at normal write speeds.

What this means is it will be super fast for working with files that are in total less than 1 GB but will be on par with normal hard drives once you go over that limit, which for prores will happen pretty quick. In the end you with this drive you will still be better off working with offline proxies instead.