Why is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 still not surpassed?

Stab

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

@Video Hummus The Laowa Argus lenses will be primes.

@Stab There are a few longer S35 zoom lenses:

• Sigma High-Speed 50-100mm T2
  • Angenieux EZ-2 15-40mm T2
  • Angenieux EZ-1 30-90mm T2
  • Fujinon Premier 14.5-45mm T2
  • Fujinon Premier 18-85mm T2

Better off using a focal reducer with a full frame f/2.8 zoom lens.

You get almost equivalent depth of field, longer zoom ranges, many options and much lower costs.

• Administrators
On 1/17/2020 at 11:07 AM, nathlas said:

And MFT.

They would have sold thousands of that lens in MFT ....surely more than fuji X mount

Very true

They have got a full frame mirrorless 24-70mm F2.8 out before any mirrorless version of the 18-35mm.

I guess they have to prioritise and it may come eventually.

I actually don't mind EF because I can put it on a Speed Booster and adapt it unlike mirrorless lenses

19 hours ago, andrgl said:

@Stab There are a few longer S35 zoom lenses:

• Sigma High-Speed 50-100mm T2
  • Angenieux EZ-2 15-40mm T2
  • Angenieux EZ-1 30-90mm T2
  • Fujinon Premier 14.5-45mm T2
  • Fujinon Premier 18-85mm T2

They're waaaaay outside the reach of almost all users on this forum however. 
For example that 18-85mm costs US$87,300!

Wish there were massively cheaper versions of those. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

They're waaaaay outside the reach of almost all users on this forum however. 
For example that 18-85mm costs US$87,300!

Wish there were massively cheaper versions of those. 

Right. If Sigma can produce a 18-35 f1.8 for 700 euro's and make profit, there is no way that it can't be done again with slightly longer reach lenses for much, much cheaper than those cinema lenses andrgl mentioned. I mean that Fujinon 14-45 t2 is 141x more expensive than the Sigma. Sure, it might be parfocal and have no focus breathing but fuck that. Sigma could probably make a lens of 2% of that price and make it non-parfocal and breathing as fuck. And I would instabuy and many others would too.

Yeah Sigma could even drop the T stop down from T2 to a T3 lens instead to help save costs/weight. And wouldn't mind if it is a bit flawed zoom lens, doesn't need to be parfocal. As I'd just be treating it as a "6-in-1 lens". A set of primes all put into one lens, so you don't need to waste time swapping lenses back and forth on small shoots. 

I like parafocalness 😁

But Sigma (or Tamron, Tokina, etc) could drop sharpness easily and add more plastic for lighter weight and cost reduction and maybe stay at 2.0 instead 1.8. I just don't want the size and weight of 18-35 to grow, I want it to shrink. Give us 16-40 2.0 with various native mirrorless mount and 700 gramm and that - would be awesome. It sure could be done, look at Pana 10-25.

2 minutes ago, Amazeballs said:

Give us 16-40 2.0 with various native mirrorless mount and 700 gramm and that - would be awesome. It sure could be done, look at Pana 10-25.

The 10-25 is only for MFT however

Third parties often have to make their lens designs a little bigger for APS-C so as to have a big enough market to recoup costs.  

13 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

I like parafocalness

The 18-35 is almost parafocal, at least the one I have... zoom outs are no problem, zoom ins... stopped down a little that works too.

13 hours ago, Amazeballs said:

drop sharpness easily and add more plastic for lighter weight and cost reduction

Please sigma, don‘t listen to him. You have been there, in that dark area when people only bought your lenses for budget reasons. The art lenses are the best thing sigma ever did. Sure, they come at a wheight. But they perform equal to lenses 2-3 times more expensive. Let other brands cover that cheaper, less sharp segment...

52 minutes ago, Michi said:

The 18-35 is almost parafocal, at least the one I have... zoom outs are no problem, zoom ins... stopped down a little that works too.

Please sigma, don‘t listen to him. You have been there, in that dark area when people only bought your lenses for budget reasons. The art lenses are the best thing sigma ever did. Sure, they come at a wheight. But they perform equal to lenses 2-3 times more expensive. Let other brands cover that cheaper, less sharp segment...

I am all up for more lenses covering different segments. Let Sigma do more premium builds and Tamron per se go for a lighter and more compact ones. I am OK with Sigma 18-35 price but I want something lighter for sure. 

It’s a fantastic lens and was perfect mated to my XT3 in 2018.

2019 with my XT3 on monopod not so much as it was too big and heavy so I somewhat reluctantly sold it at the end of last year.

With the XT4 coming with IBIS, that situation may flip back but probably just going to go with my f2 primes instead, 23, 35, 50 and 90 and maybe chuck the 24mm f2.8 into the mix though possibly not as the OIS 16-80mm is already in my kit, albeit F4 which is a tad crappy for real low light but we will see this wedding season...

You don't care for parfocalness and focus breathing? Then you are very lucky because there are millions of such lenses that start from 1$...

The Sigma is not parfocal, "almost" parfocal is not a thing.

Sometimes the opinions here is like a horse is talking about scotch whiskey.

We want them cheap, fast, great focal range, smallish and lightish, and pretty good for video, and cheaper more!

I still wonder why they never released an E-Mount version... this would have been a perfect lens for these Sony cams in low light! 

The native Sony 16-55 2.8 costs 1.5x times as much and I'm not sure it's worth it with all its flaws...

On 1/22/2020 at 9:17 AM, Kisaha said:

The Sigma is not parfocal, "almost" parfocal is not a thing.

Zooming In, setting focus. Zooming out -> object is still in focus. 
Setting focus, zooming in -> Object not perfectly in focus, but close. 

That‘s what I meant with „almost parfocal“. It‘s not perfect but still better than any zoom-lens designed for photo cameras I ever used.