Why is the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 still not surpassed?

Stab

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I just sold mine. It's a great lens but I think I'm done with adapting modem zooms to my M43 cameras. They're just too heavy. 

I wish they'd released a similar lens for the M43 system. I appreciate what Panasonic did with the 10-25mm f1.7 but that price tag is just too hefty for me.

I think some of the e-mount lenses have been impressive. Maybe not exactly on the same level but very close. Tamron especially has released some excellent lenses.

7 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

physics...

In the "Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera 4K" thread it is mentioned that the sensor stack thickness of black magic sensors (being that they have a thinner sensor stack) may cause issues with the image with lens not designed for a specific sensor stack thickness.  There is a mention of the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 being basically immune to this issue due to the fact that its is a very telecentric lens.

Kisaha wrote in that tread : "3. How telecentric the lens is. (More specifically, how far forward the exit pupil of the lens is.) A lens with the exit pupil far away from the sensor is not affected by the thickness of the sensor stack very much. A lens with the exit pupil very close to the sensor is affected a lot."

and drm wrote: "3. The Sigma 18-50 f/1.8 lens is pretty much immune from the problem because it has an exit pupil distance of 150mm." As sigma does not make an 18-50 f1.8, I assume he is talking about the 18-35 f/1.8.

So the physics of the Sigma 18-35 f1.8 with its exit pupil distance of 150mm makes it very telecentric, which may explain in part why it is hard to beat as it finds itself on so many different sensor stacks thickness and still maintains its image quality.  The telecentric quality of the Sigma 18-35 may also allow the image to stand up better when running through additional glass like a speed booster.

2 hours ago, Jonesy Jones said:

Look at the Angeneuix ez2 15-40 T2, for S35, but can be converted to vista and becomes like a 22-60 T3 or something like that. Different price range though.

image.png.1ceb2d49bacab75e6792cf2cab1e8a01.png

Also when you see the size of the lens you realize what will be likely required for a 15-40mm t2 S35 (although I personally would prefer if it reaches out to at least 55mm... which means even bigger!) no matter who makes it.

That is by no means massive for a cinema zoom, but it does dwarf a Sigma 18-35mm!

Still wish a third party (Tokina, Sigma, etc or a chinese brand) would give a go at building this. 

Yeah the DZOFilm 20-70mm T2.9 might be the closest we get to the kind of affordable 15-60mm T2-ish PL/F lens I dream of. 

HOWEVER....  big difference between 15 and 20mm, even 18mm vs 20mm is quite noticeable when we're talking about 2mm here on the wide end. 

And it gets much much worse... this is MFT only, so we can't use it on PL / F / EF Mount cameras. 

And also, the fact it is designed specifically only for MFT Mount means I highly suspect if you adapt it to E Mount then it will not cover S35. (otherwise DZOFilm would already be offering it in E Mount, as a S35 E Mount would be a massive market for them to sell affordable cinema zooms to)

So while I'm excited to see this very cheaply priced mid range zoom for MFT (yay!), it still falls far short of what I'm dreaming of. 

oh! I just realized noticed they've now brought out a DZOFilm 10-24mm T2.9 MFT Lens which will be coming out soon. 

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1507683-REG/dzoptics_dzo_6226613a_10_24mm_t2_9_m4_3_lens.html

This would be a wonderful pairing with the 20-70mm!

Imagine shooting a feature / tv show with a two camera set up with 2x GH5S/GH5/BMPCC4K/E2/whatever with one of these lenses on each. Could do the wides with the 10-24mm on the wiiiide end and the other camera at 20mm (of the 20-70) then go in for the tighter coverage with the 10-24 then being at 24mm (which is mid FoV for MFT) and the 20-70mm being even tighter on the 2nd camera. You could shoot everything with just those two lenses and two cameras, and never need to change a lens at all! Speedy speedy. A dream setup.

1 hour ago, billdoubleu said:

@IronFilm, you're right. It looks like he has footage up already. There is some slight vignetting but, he doesn't specify whether he's seeing it throughout the entire focal range or not.

This is exactly what the JVC LS300 with its variable scanning is useful for! ?

You can exactly dial in the amount over lens coverage you want to have, want 100%? Want 97%? Want 95%? You can pick it!

29 minutes ago, Kisaha said:

I always considered the NX 16-50mm S a better lens. 2f in most of the 18-35mm range (so, just 0.2f difference), wider at 16mm and a lot more tele at 50mm and incredible OIS.

this lens is a beast, shame that nx system die and u there no exist options to adapt to others mounts with diaf control or ibis.

36 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Olympus Four Thirds 14-35mm F2.0 is a very good lens.

They had the skills to make it a long time ago.

Would like to see a 14-50mm F1.8 from Panasonic when GH6 comes out. Really push the boat out

That lens would probably make the 10-25 look petite. Not sure how I feel about that as a 10-25 owner. I’m sometimes wishing my 25mm could stretch to 35mm.

I’m of the opinion that FF f/2 DOF is the lower limit for me. It’s just enough, not too much.

The f1.7 with f/3.1 FF equiv. DOF is a sweet spot (on GH5S sensor; 3.4 on MFT) falls nicely in between FF f/2 and f/4. Easy to manual focus, DoF isn’t distracting, ability to get nice out-of-focus areas at the longer focal length and shorter distances when you want to.

Maybe the 14-50 f/1.8 should have been the lens they should have made instead of the 10-25? It’s like the perfect do-it-all lens. 

I'm perpetually baffled that nobody has release an APS-C lens to rule them all yet. Something to replace the aging ~18-50ish lenses already on the market. I guess the companies all know that APS-C & DSLR's are going to die out so they've pretty much given up on them.

I'd love to see a standard cinema zoom made to fill the current gaping hole in the market though. Something like a 19-60 f/2.8 version of Sigma's cine lenses, available in EF or PL. For $3500 that would be an absolute winner for every person who owns an FS5/7, C100/C200/C300, URSA, BMPCC 6K, Raven or EVA1. Everyone I know using those lenses is still holding onto ancient Canon 17-55's or speed-boosted 24-105's and would be happy to upgrade them if something came along.

The lenses that have come closest so far are:
Fujinon 18-55 T2.9 - but doesn't fit EF/PL
Sigma 18-35 T2 - not long enough for "all-purpose" shooting
Red 17-50 - PL mount only and no longer in production.

@barefoot_dp agreeing so much! Am saying the same myself. 

2 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

The lenses that have come closest so far are:
Fujinon 18-55 T2.9 - but doesn't fit EF/PL
Sigma 18-35 T2 - not long enough for "all-purpose" shooting
Red 17-50 - PL mount only and no longer in production.

I'd add to that list a few more (but all are limited in some major way), such as:

Sony 18-105mm or 18-110mm, but they're both "only" F4 and restricted to E mount.

Plus the various cinema PL zooms which are waaaaaay too expensive.