Nikon lenses for Speedbooster

chrisso

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Have a Speedbooster for BMD Pocket coming, also the Sigma 18-35mm.
Never used Nikon.
What are a couple of choice Nikon primes to compliment the Sigma on a Speedbooster?

Maybe something smaller than the Sigma for around town footage.

for wide I have a nikon 10-24mm

on the gh3, with speedbooster 0.71, at 10 the corners are soft, closing 2 stops make them ok

at 12mm you need 1 stop

from 15 till 24  the corners are ok wide open

on the BMPCC the complete range 10-24mm is sharp wide open

50mm: Nikon E Series 50mm f/1.8 are the smallest pancakes ever made by Nikon. The AI-S version of the same 50mm f/1.8 are slightly larger and heavier. A slightly bit bigger are the AF 50mm f/1.8D and AF 50mm f/1.4D. The only downside with the 1.4D is the ghosting/flaring in certain conditions - but it's rare. In most cases, I'd go for one of the f/1.8 lenses instead of the 1.4.

85mm: Nikon AI-S 85mm f/2. A slightly bit bigger than the above lenses, but still very compact. I simply love the performance of this lens, and you can find it for good prices on ebay and similar sites.

Wide: I'd go with AF-D or AI-S 24mm f/2.8, or perhaps the 28mm f/2.8 AI-S.

All of these lenses are among Nikon's compacter primes and perform very well.

This is with the BM Pocket version of the Speedbooster. So I'm thinking the 18mm on the Sigma will be wide enough?

I don't think the 18 mm sigma is very wide

I use the .71 on the GH3  so the 10mm becomes a 14mm in full frame  (10x0.71x2 crop)

on the BMP  it becomes +/- 21mm in full frame

with the pocket speedbooster, on the BMP, the 18 sigma becomes a 18x0.58x3  or 31mm in full frame

Agree mostly with Dahlfors. I'd go mainly for AI-s primes, and wouldn't be seduced by the very fastest ones (e.g. 50mm 1.2/1.4) they can be quite soft wide open. The slightly slower ones tend to be sharper wide open and are much cheaper. My advice:

50mm f1.8 AI-s (1st version: serial no's 3135197 - 3304551)

85mm f2 AI-s

105mm f2.5 AI-s

If you want to go longer: 

135mm f2.8 AI-s or E-series

200mm f4 AI-s

These lenses all have manual aperture rings, can be used on pretty much any camera, superb construction with beautiful focus action for video and are very compact (all the above have 52mm filter threads).

I bought the 50mm, 85mm and 105 to go with my MFT speed booster after much careful research, and they are superb.

These sites are the ones I found most useful:

http://nikongear.com/live/index.php/page/nikon_lenses

http://www.verwoerd.info/nikon/short.html

http://www.photosynthesis.co.nz/nikon/serialno.html

50mm f1.8 AI-s (1st version: serial no's 3135197 - 3304551)

I'm curious: what's the difference between early AI-S with that serial number and later ones? I got one with serial number in the 4000000 range.

The 50mm f/1.8 AI-S is very compact - I usually keep that one coupled to the Speed Booster on my Sony NEX-5R.

I also happen to have the 105mm f/2.5 and 200mm f/4 that you recommend. Not fully as compact in size as the 50/85mm lenses, but they perform well!

Thanks. All look like good recommendations.
Yes, AIS.
Probably going to get the 50mm 1.8. And looking at the 28mm 2.8.

Why the 28mm when you have such a fast lens covering that focal length (18-35)?

I'm curious: what's the difference between early AI-S with that serial number and later ones? I got one with serial number in the 4000000 range.

The 50mm f/1.8 AI-S is very compact - I usually keep that one coupled to the Speed Booster on my Sony NEX-5R.

I also happen to have the 105mm f/2.5 and 200mm f/4 that you recommend. Not fully as compact in size as the 50/85mm lenses, but they perform well!

TBH there probably isn't much difference other than build quality. The early version is metal construction with a wider, smooth, rubber focus ring. I've seen slightly higher optical performance reports for it from a few test sites (e.g. http://nikongear.com/live/index.php/page/nikon_lenses/primes/50mm_f1.8_Nikkor - see 2nd paragraph), but nothing significant. The early version is slightly bigger and heavier (it's still my smallest nikon lens though), so if you like the size of your pancake it's probably a fine trade-off.

I also have the 24mm f2.8 AI-s and 35mm f2.0 AF-D, both of which are great (love the 35). There aren't many appealing Nikon legacy options wider than the 24mm. Some people go for the 20mm 3.5 but it's not that exciting and I've found not that cheap.

Don't want to hijack the thread, but if anyone has any suggestions for decent wider-than-24mm Nikon-mount manual primes, I'd be very interested.

Can't afford the Sigma right now - not just for the wide end anyway.

Why the 28mm when you have such a fast lens covering that focal length (18-35)?

Firstly because it might make a good lens for walking around. The Sigma is much heavier and bulkier. Secondly because it's reputedly one of the nicest lenses Nikon have ever made.

I'll use the Sigma for most things, but when I just want to shove my camera in a backpack and walk around, the 28mm might be a better option.

Firstly because it might make a good lens for walking around. The Sigma is much heavier and bulkier. Secondly because it's reputedly one of the nicest lenses Nikon have ever made.

I'll use the Sigma for most things, but when I just want to shove my camera in a backpack and walk around, the 28mm might be a better option.

Yes it has a very good reputation - I forgot about that one. The speed booster will make it pretty fast too … and about 50mm FF equivalent I believe. 

I've got the Nikon 24mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5 and can recommend the 35mm and 105mm as I've done some 35mm print photography with them and like them.  The 24mm is okay but it's pretty flavorless.  I've read the 28mm is better.  It's the lens I use most on my GH2 but with a Speedbooster I'm sure I'd be more likely to grab the 35mm since it's got more character.  

I also have a 50mm Nikkor but the iris needs servicing that it's never going to get because it's not near as good looking as my F.Zuiko 50mm in OM mount.

Everyone seems to be suggesting the AIS primes, but I think you should also consider the pre-AI primes, the black and silver, all metal ones.

I have a complete set from 20mm-135mm and they are all lovely lenses and all create beautiful images.  I actually prefer the pre-AI lenses to the AI or AIS because they are all metal, and I like the scalloped focus rings as opposed to the rubber rings.

Ones that stand out in particular are the Nikkor-O 35mm f2, the Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8, and the Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5.  All relatively fast lenses and they all create superb images, even wide open.

Everyone seems to be suggesting the AIS primes, but I think you should also consider the pre-AI primes, the black and silver, all metal ones.

I have a complete set from 20mm-135mm and they are all lovely lenses and all create beautiful images.  I actually prefer the pre-AI lenses to the AI or AIS because they are all metal, and I like the scalloped focus rings as opposed to the rubber rings.

Ones that stand out in particular are the Nikkor-O 35mm f2, the Nikkor-H 85mm f1.8, and the Nikkor-P 105mm f2.5.  All relatively fast lenses and they all create superb images, even wide open.

It's the coatings that make the AI glass more desirable I think. 

I've got the Nikon 24mm f/2, 35mm f/1.4 and 105mm f/2.5 and can recommend the 35mm and 105mm as I've done some 35mm print photography with them and like them.  The 24mm is okay but it's pretty flavorless.  I've read the 28mm is better.  It's the lens I use most on my GH2 but with a Speedbooster I'm sure I'd be more likely to grab the 35mm since it's got more character.  

I also have a 50mm Nikkor but the iris needs servicing that it's never going to get because it's not near as good looking as my F.Zuiko 50mm in OM mount.

Do you use anything wider than 24mm on your GH2 (that isn't MFT glass)?

Do you use anything wider than 24mm on your GH2 (that isn't MFT glass)?

Yeah, I've got the kit zoom, 14-42mm which is a good, if flavorless lens.  It's just rather slow.  Normally I'm shooting with my Century Optics anamorphic adapter which helps the 24mm out some and I can shoot f/2.8 acceptably sharp.  Eventual upgrades including SpeedBooster and SLR Magic 50 anamorphic will improve everything all the way around.

For wider than 24mm, post Speed Booster, I'll likely be getting the 18-35mm, dumping the 24mm altogether and crossing my fingers that Dog Schidt Optics releases a companion wide for their FlareFactory 58.

I believe the pre-ai Nikkors have a single coating, but I've never experienced any issues due to the fact that they aren't multicoated.  Sure they flare if you point them directly at the sun or directly into a light source, but almost any lens will, and I don't know about you, but I enjoy the occasional lens flare.

I don't think they are any harder to find either, and usually right around the same price as the AI or AIS. I built the entire set in about a month's time, and spent under $700 for...

20mm f3.5

24mm f2.8

35mm f2

50mm f1.4

85mm f1.8

105mm f2.5

135mm f3.5

...all in great condition.  I think they are a great choice because they are built like tanks, cheaper than most primes, and produce very beautiful images.  They have been nothing but good to me so far, but to each his own I guess.