Will Canon launch EOS Movie line as well as 4K Cinema EOS at NAB 2012?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/fs100-rig.jpg[/img]

NAB 2012 is a few weeks away. Nobody can be sure what is going to come out of it. May be a lot, maybe not. But one thing is for sure, if you look at the market right now – Canon have a hole to fill. Where is their Sony FS100 competitor?

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7665/will-canon-launch-eos-movie-line-as-well-as-4k-cinema-eos-at-nab-201/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
How are cameras like the Canon XF100 for wide, establishing landscape shots?  I assume that the resolution and depth of field are superior to the 5D.  The features on the XF100 (i.e. ND filters, waveform, XLR, etc) are very complete.  Are these pro camcorders able to output a cinematic look to work in conjunction with the 5D's weaknesses?

I hope to GOD that it comes out at NAB, or else more are certain to jump to Sony FS-100 including myself. Can't wait any longer

All I want added to the current 5D3 is TRUE 2K, crop mode, a flip screen, continuous autofocus, clean HDMI and focus peaking. That's all I ask for. Not much IMO considering how many other cameras have that stuff.

I don't really care about built in ND filters as these days I prefer the quickness of variable ND, plus I think that would add size to the camera. Keep it in a 5D body (not the tall 1D). No Camcorder body. That is so hard to work with after using DSLRs.

4K would be nice for the large greenscreen at work, but I would probably just shoot 2K for most things as there's less post to deal with and things will run faster in post.

Basically a better 5D3 for video. But the stills are still important to me because I do timelapse, but I don't need a 61 point autofocus. Just the old 7D autofocus would be fine with me.

Would be nice it it was mirrorless, but not sure if Canon would do that. But it's strange to have a mirror in a video based DSLR. But at this point, I don't care as I have all Canon L and Zeiss lenses, mostly I just want a camera with good resolution.

Scarlet was never billed as 4K for $4K. It was 3K for under $3K.

Regarding the FS100, it's already about a year old. It's 8-bit and lacks built-in ND filters and HD-SDI. I certainly hope that any manufacturer would be aiming higher with a $5-6K camera in 2012. And I hope that all of them start thinking about 4K (or at least QuadHD) in that price range. Geez, if JVC can do it, so can Sony.

Hey Andrew,

Thanks for all you do.  I was an early adopter of the GH2 but your blog and of course Vitaly really helped me feel secure in my choice. 

It has been shot with in the wild.
Canon 4K DSLR IS going to be announced at NAB.

Not sure on the price except that it will be pricier than cheap.

A very famous British cinematographer who I met in LA saw me with a GH2.  I ran into him again and guess what he has for his own personal use...GH2 with a 14-140mm.  Said he absolutely loves it.

I gave him the address to your site.

• Administrators
[quote author=tungah link=topic=477.msg3065#msg3065 date=1332868401]
Could be.
[url=http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/11/2862370/canon-movie-cinema-camera-invite-las-vegas-2012]http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/11/2862370/canon-movie-cinema-camera-invite-las-vegas-2012[/url]
[/quote]

I believe this is for the screening of EOS 4K DSLR footage.

• Administrators
[quote author=Tzedekh link=topic=477.msg3071#msg3071 date=1332870916]
Scarlet was never billed as 4K for $4K. It was 3K for under $3K.

Regarding the FS100, it's already about a year old. It's 8-bit and lacks built-in ND filters and HD-SDI. I certainly hope that any manufacturer would be aiming higher with a $5-6K camera in 2012. And I hope that all of them start thinking about 4K (or at least QuadHD) in that price range. Geez, if JVC can do it, so can Sony.
[/quote]

8 bit is fine. Most people's displays are 8 bit. The C300 is 8 bit and that is $16,000! So you can hardly blame Sony for not putting it in a $5000 camera.

• Administrators
[quote author=jay shay link=topic=477.msg3076#msg3076 date=1332874772]
It has been shot with in the wild. Canon 4K DSLR IS going to be announced at NAB.

Not sure on the price except that it will be pricier than cheap.

A very famous British cinematographer who I met in LA saw me with a GH2.  I ran into him again and guess what he has for his own personal use...GH2 with a 14-140mm.  Said he absolutely loves it.

I gave him the address to your site.
[/quote]

Cheers Jay.

NAB will be interesting for sure. Although I have a feeling it will have low budget filmmakers and consumers weeping into their cornflakes. Myself included.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=477.msg3079#msg3079 date=1332875524]
8 bit is fine. Most people's displays are 8 bit. The C300 is 8 bit and that is $16,000! So you can hardly blame Sony for not putting it in a $5000 camera.
[/quote]
Panasonic plasmas aren't 8-bit, although Blu-ray still is. Sony put 8-bit in the FS100 in part not to cannibalize F3 sales. The F3, which is priced comparably to the C300, could always do 10-bit out -- it's only recently that Sony has decided to throw in the 4:4:4 S-log upgrade for free.

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=477.msg3078#msg3078 date=1332875428]
[quote author=tungah link=topic=477.msg3065#msg3065 date=1332868401]
Could be.
[url=http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/11/2862370/canon-movie-cinema-camera-invite-las-vegas-2012]http://www.theverge.com/2012/3/11/2862370/canon-movie-cinema-camera-invite-las-vegas-2012[/url]
[/quote]

I believe this is for the screening of EOS 4K DSLR footage.
[/quote]

Hmm...i think, at least, they will likely have Shane Hurlbut do a presentation of something similar i saw recently of
Act of Valor. It could also announce more info on their '4K' cam. That would be a great thing to do to get some momentum back. They may be putting all of their eggs into this basket and venue/announcement.  I was told that JVC will have their 4K cam on the floor. Hoping Panny will surprise everyone. I plan to be there this year.

I agree with you on Canon needing to get the momentum back. The 5D3 actually hurt their momentum IMO since many people are so disappointed. I think Canon is aware of this as most of the video forums are mostly people just bitching and upset over the 5D3.

So hopefully they will announce the 4K C camera. But then again, it's Canon and they work in a really weird, backwards kind of way

I'd be really surprised if Canon came out with a video-only camera in the 5-6K range.  I think it would make all those people who purchased the MKIII for video really really upset.  I can see them releasing a camera for 7K.  At double the price of the MKIII, most people who got the MKIII wouldn't have considered a camera that expensive.  At that price point, it would give them three different markets. 

I would bet that Canon will be announcing a 4K camera.  I wonder how much, though...  20K?  I assume it would have to be more than the C300 but if it's just a DSLR that can do 4K, price might be much lower, like in the 7k range... 

I was going to pull the trigger on an FS100 (I have a MKII) but I think I will wait for the 15th now.... 8)

I think Canon does not care if the buyers that already bought will be disappointed. They more care about getting new purchases and of course the negative feedback from those who already bought will affect that. Canon could easily come up with a camcorder at the same price point of 5D mark III and not lose any nights of sleep for that.

However, I think they may have clever engineers but their managers may not be very clever and they may not be working the most efficient way they could. Therefore we can expect that the decisions will range from rather silly to somewhat okay and by a chance they may sometimes even positively succeed.

I am looking forward to see what the Cinema EOS will be before I purchase anything. And by the way; I have a theory why [technically] 5D mark III video is soft. I investigate further on how debauer algorithms work before I talk more about it.

Best Regards,
Karoliina Salminen
(just joined, first post from me here, my twitter is @karoliinasalmin)

[quote author=Andrew Reid - EOSHD link=topic=477.msg3104#msg3104 date=1332928634]
Zig, I believe no matter what new stuff is coming (and it IS for sure), the Sony FS100's price will be a lot lower than the new NAB stuff. Don't hold fire if you really need to shoot now.
[/quote]

Trust me, I would love to pull the trigger now.  I'm heading overseas for a couple weeks so I was thinking about getting it for my trip but I'm going to wait.  And since Metabones doesn't have the Canon adapters in stock, there is no point right now since I won't have any glass to use with it... 

Plus, if I can get a 4K camera for only a few grand more I'd rather make that investment.  Maybe the FS100 will drop in price after NAB, although I am guessing it would only drop a few hundred which would match the current rebate.