A couple questions about the Sankor

RupertPupkin

Hello all,

I've been quite fascinated by anamorphic lenses for some time but I was under the impression that I would always have to spend a small fortune to acquire one.  After reading over the anamorphic handbook (which was wonderfully informative might I add) I realized that I could be shooting anamorphic with a 2x lens for much cheaper than what I initially thought.

After doing a lot of research between which 2x lens to get, I've decided on the Sankor over the Proskar or Kowa. I just have a couple questions regarding the Sankor.

Is it absolutely necessary to have a clamp to attach this to the taking lens?  I understand the 16f has no threads so in that case it would be necessary....but what if I got the c or d?  I believe the threads on the 16c are 40.5mm, so could I just use a 52mm to 40.5mm step down ring to attach it to one of my vintage Nikkor lenses that has 52mm threads?  If you actually do just need a clamp, are all anamorphic clamps the same?  Will they all fit the Sankor?

Lastly I hear you can unscrew a cap to reveal threads on the front of the Sankor for attaching filters, does anyone know the size?  I have ND filters in 52mm and 72mm, could I use step rings and make these work on the Sankor?  Also what are some cheaper diopters that I could utilize?

Thanks for the help everyone.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Hey Rupert,
It's really worth getting a clamp. Even if you can get a step up ring to fit you may still have alignment issues. I have a Redstan clamp for my Sankor which fits like a glove, they are by far the best. Plus it has a 52mm thread.
http://bit.ly/1dv3vDN
Send him a message and tell him your model of anamorphic and I imagine he will send you one that suits best.
The Sankor does indeed have a hidden thread. (I had mine for nearly a year and never noticed) I believe it's 52mm but I have heard people say its an odd size 52.1mm or something.

Thanks for the input.

I've heard everyone raving about the redstan clamps, a bit expensive for me, but I guess you get what you pay for.  If I'm going to be shooting anamorphic I might as well do it right.

Do you use diopters with yours?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the going rate for a Sankor in good condition is around $250-$300?  I've seen some on eBay for much more but I'm assuming they are just inflated because I have seen some on this forum go for much less.

Thanks

Thanks for the input.

I've heard everyone raving about the redstan clamps, a bit expensive for me, but I guess you get what you pay for. If I'm going to be shooting anamorphic I might as well do it right.

Do you use diopters with yours?

Also, am I correct in assuming that the going rate for a Sankor in good condition is around $250-$300? I've seen some on eBay for much more but I'm assuming they are just inflated because I have seen some on this forum go for much less.

Thanks

Yes it is worth getting a decent clamp. Cheap clamps are just that. Cheap!
Diopters are definitely a good idea, they will reduce the minimim focus, good ones can be quite expensive though. My advice would be see how you get in without first.
I'm not in the US so prices are a little different here. But if that's what you've seen then its probably about right. Keep an eye out for auctions if your looking on eBay buy it now prices are sometimes a bit inflated.

Sharpness when shooting anamorphic is relative. It's not pin sharpe at F2 but it not too bad. F2.8 is perfectly usable in my option. For me F4 is very sharpe, but your prime will have an impact on this.

Check out this video I shot with mine. Low light so it's shot between F2 and F3.2. Should give you a good idea if what to expect.

Awesome video Chris!

Just makes me more excited to get my own.  Like you said, very usable, I think it all looked great.  I have a full set of pre-ai Nikkor primes, the lenses I'm most excited about trying it out with is my 85mm f1.8 and my 105mm f2.5.  They both look pretty good wide open so I'm interested in how they will perform with an anamorphic.

Thanks for the continued help and advice, Chris.

Sorry for the double post but another question just came to me.  I have a macro tube adapter set for the Nikkors, if I used a macro tube on the lens with the anamorphic on it, would it help with close focusing?  Or is that only possible through diopters?  If I did have all that stuff attached to my lens I would probably set it up on some rails.

After doing a lot of research between which 2x lens to get, I've decided on the Sankor over the Proskar or Kowa

What sort of research without actually testing the lenses ?  ;)

BTW there are many quite similar 16mm projection lenses (Eiki, Singer, Elmo...) I had a Sankor 16F. I liked it! You don't need rods.

Believe the people: Buying Redstan clamp is much more fun (especially when you want to change the taking lens in the field!!!)

the Moeller 32/2 is also great (I prefer it) and most times half the price

Thanks for the input Rudolf.

As far as research goes I've watched just about every video on vimeo and youtube for all of the lenses I'm interested in, read every review I could find, and searched this forum high and low for any information I could get.  That is what I consider research.  Unfortunately I don't have access to every anamorphic lens I would like to try, so I've done my best.  If I was actually using them I would consider it "testing", not researching the lenses. 

Good to know that the macro tubes don't help with close focusing, and it looks like I'll definitely be getting a redstan clamp.

You mention the Moeller 32/2, is the company who makes it called Moeller or is it made by another company?  I've heard of the Bolex Moller, but never of a Moeller.

Hello all,

I've been quite fascinated by anamorphic lenses for some time but I was under the impression that I would always have to spend a small fortune to acquire one.  After reading over the anamorphic handbook (which was wonderfully informative might I add) I realized that I could be shooting anamorphic with a 2x lens for much cheaper than what I initially thought.

After doing a lot of research between which 2x lens to get, I've decided on the Sankor over the Proskar or Kowa. I just have a couple questions regarding the Sankor.

Is it absolutely necessary to have a clamp to attach this to the taking lens?  I understand the 16f has no threads so in that case it would be necessary....but what if I got the c or d?  I believe the threads on the 16c are 40.5mm, so could I just use a 52mm to 40.5mm step down ring to attach it to one of my vintage Nikkor lenses that has 52mm threads?  If you actually do just need a clamp, are all anamorphic clamps the same?  Will they all fit the Sankor?

Lastly I hear you can unscrew a cap to reveal threads on the front of the Sankor for attaching filters, does anyone know the size?  I have ND filters in 52mm and 72mm, could I use step rings and make these work on the Sankor?  Also what are some cheaper diopters that I could utilize?

Thanks for the help everyone.

Hi Rupert,

I didn't read the whole thread, but i just wanted to let you know that i'm considering selling my Sankor 16D + Redstan custom clamps (front and rear, those are the best ones you could ever get, they're like 100£ alone). It really is in very good condition, optics are really clean. I'm asking 350 Euros for the whole thing. If by any chance you're interested or need more info or photos don't hesitate to PM me ;)

PS: Just so you know i'm in Paris, France.

As far as I know it is Möller actually, can be written Moller without the accent or Moeller for more accurate pronounciation (ö=oe). Same thing.

Precise, Gábor  :)

Maybe I will just write Moller from now on (for economical reason)

BTW The Company is 20 minutes from my house. I should pay them a visit and ask if there is some old stuff lying around...

I forgot one thing about the 32/2 which is a bit anoying: Mounting filters is not so easy - I have no workaround yet. Xume adapter would be

cool!