What cameras are you currently shooting with?

Andrew Reid

What cameras are you currently shooting with?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What cameras are you currently shooting with?

• Blackmagic Pocket 4K / 6K
    • Sony A7 III
    • Sony A9 series
    • Sony A7R III
    • Sony A7R IV
    • Sony A6400 / A6500
    • Sony A7S II
    • Sony - Other
    • Panasonic GH5
    • Panasonic GH5S
    • Panasonic GH4
    • Panasonic S1 / S1R / S1H
    • Panasonic - Other
    • Leica SL / SL2 / Other
    • Canon 5D Mark IV
    • Canon EOS R
    • Canon EOS RP
    • Canon 1D X / 1D C / 1D X II
    • Canon APS-C mirrorless
    • Canon - Other (not including Cinema EOS)
    • Fuji X-T3
    • Fuji X-T2 or older
    • Fuji X-H1
    • Fuji GFX series
    • Fuji X-T30 / X-T20
    • Fuji - Other
    • Pro Cinema Camera like Sony FS5 / Canon C300 series / EVA1
    • RED Cinema Camera
    • Pentax (You're brave)
    • Olympus OMD Series
    • Nikon Z6 / Z7
    • Nikon D850 / D810
    • Nikon - Other DSLR
    • Nikon D5 / D4
    • Something weird
    • Arri
    • Sigma Fp

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/17/2020 at 10:00 PM

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

image.thumb.png.3aeedcfdeea15b1ccffd862e60cf3146.png

From nearly $87 in late 2014 to nearly $4 now at the start of 2020

Ouch!!

https://marketrealist.com/2019/08/five-tech-stocks-that-are-risky-for-investors/

Interesting, FitBit is another one of those early market leaders which absolutely dominated their niche but since then have lost over 90% of their stock value in just a few years, like GoPro did. 

Used to be  (still is) that "GoPro" was interchangeable with the concept and name "action camera". Fitbit used to be like that, it was the name in wearable tech.  (sidenote: I just purchased my first "wearable tech"! If we don't count my heartrate monitor I had back in the 1990's. Got last week a Garmin Forerunner 235, found out the next day my brother has a Garmin Forerunner 935! Funny coincidence, as I had my heart set on a 935 until I saw a deal on a 235 that was too good so pulled the trigger)

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Both of these cameras have wide angle adapters for them. (that's what I used to do with my Panasonic G6 / 14mm f2.5 combo, before I got the SLR Magic 8mm f4)

That works :)

Especially in the context of a Netflix show (or anything with even a little money behind it) then the difference in cost between a GoPro and a "BMD Micro Cinema Camera, or a Z Cam E1, or E2, or RX0mk2, or GH5S, or etc..." is absolutely nothing at all in the grand scheme of things. A rounding error.  

From what I'm seeing, there are still a lot of shows that seem to have smaller budgets.  I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if lots of shows are made and then bought by Netflix, rather than being made for Netflix and having that kind of budget.

Mind you, I don't only watch the big shows, I'm watching a bunch of stuff, some quite niche.

How are you liking the Panasonic AF101 in 2020?

I almost almost almost got a Panasonic AF101, and I would have, if I hadn't stumbled across an insanely insanely crazy cheap deal on a Sony PMW-F3 (a bargain for back then years ago, if I was to try to sell it for that price today it would be too much though of course). 

I can't recommend it. I mostly film skateboarding and don't really care about picture quality so it is good enough. For all other uses I'd say it's too soft and the codec is terrible. It doesn't give you any flexibility in post. The image has "video camera" feel so it isn't really cinematic but for some uses this might be an advantage. For the price I paid (around 400$) I'd say it was hard to pass the deal though.

2 hours ago, kye said:

From what I'm seeing, there are still a lot of shows that seem to have smaller budgets.  I'm not certain, but I wouldn't be surprised if lots of shows are made and then bought by Netflix, rather than being made for Netflix and having that kind of budget.

Even on small non-Netflix shows (which is basically what I mostly work on) then the extra cost  of say a Sony RX0, DJI Osmo Pocket, GH5, or Z Cam E1 or whatever over a GoPro is pretty minimal. 

13 hours ago, sanveer said:

What brand and specs of tablet? What price is it at, after the discount? 

HP i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, $700 new, $400 used. I have a US distributor. If you want, send me a PM. I can send you their email address. New comes with two years of warranty here in Europe just because of European legislation and they told me they cover US warranty in the same way. I guess in the US it is only one year. Used I bought it with six months. Same supplier.

18 hours ago, IronFilm said:

oh I know they have their usages still, I was just surprised my friend had got a GoPro for more general filming 

Not just your friend, my friend also bought Gopro before he went off to end of year holiday.. before that he was considering Sony A7. 

7 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Even on small non-Netflix shows (which is basically what I mostly work on) then the extra cost  of say a Sony RX0, DJI Osmo Pocket, GH5, or Z Cam E1 or whatever over a GoPro is pretty minimal. 

Wow, the E1 sure is reasonably priced...  I think subconsciously I was thinking the E1 was in the same pricing category as the E2. 

So many cameras to keep track of!

4 hours ago, ntblowz said:

Not just your friend, my friend also bought Gopro before he went off to end of year holiday.. before that he was considering Sony A7. 

They're just such radically different cameras, puzzles me how someone can swing to considering an a7 one moment to GoPro the next! (or even the reverse, GoPro to a7)

3 hours ago, kye said:

Wow, the E1 sure is reasonably priced...  I think subconsciously I was thinking the E1 was in the same pricing category as the E2. 

They were even selling for sub $200 brand new, is a pity the current eBay prices don't reflect that. 

(the Z Cam E2C is another really cheap Z Cam camera if you're not aware of it, pricier, but close in price to the E1 than to the E2)

9 hours ago, Emanuel said:

HP i7 processor, 16GB RAM, 256GB SSD, $700 new, $400 used. I have a US distributor. If you want, send me a PM. I can send you their email address. New comes with two years of warranty here in Europe just because of European legislation and they told me they cover US warranty in the same way. I guess in the US it is only one year. Used I bought it with six months. Same supplier.

Thank you for the revert.  

5 hours ago, sanveer said:

Thank you for the revert.  

A colleague of mine just bought one unit same specs, brand new, sealed box, $550, same seller from the contact forwarded from me. He told me they still had a few units in stock. Seems old stock. I've just written them to ask for replacing the one I bought used ($400) paying the difference obviously.

On 1/15/2020 at 7:54 AM, kye said:

That works :)

Mind you, I don't only watch the big shows, I'm watching a bunch of stuff, some quite niche.

I think the budgets on Netflix shows determine what cameras are used, if Netflix is involved pre-production or post.  Netflix won't approve or touch a production without approved cameras. If you already have something in the can then everything is fair game.

1 hour ago, Super8 said:

I think the budgets on Netflix shows determine what cameras are used, if Netflix is involved pre-production or post.  Netflix won't approve or touch a production without approved cameras. If you already have something in the can then everything is fair game.

That's what I heard (although I'm the last person that would know such things, so apply salt here..) but with some of the quality I'm seeing, my current production standards for my family travel videos have exceeded (a small percentage) of the quality of some shows on there.  Still, in the end none of that matters and it's about content.

TBH I think that with a very modest setup and the right levels of skill content that looks professional can be created with almost no budget at all.  An example might be @DaveAltizers video Porcelainia:

Shot on a 7D, L-glass, and graded in FilmConvert it's a great example of how, when done well, content shines through.  Think about how many people have access to equipment that meets this level of quality - at this point it would be half the people on earth who own an ILC.

And this is exactly what I'm seeing - there is heaps of content on YT that people make for fun or as part of a side hustle, and heaps of content on Netflix where people with skill use the same level of equipment and skill but are more ambitious and take on larger projects and larger distribution goals and do distribution deals that way.

The best content on Netflix is obviously better than the best content on YT, but the vast majority of Netflix content has less production value than the best examples on YT.  The overlap is huge.