What cameras are you currently shooting with?

Andrew Reid

What cameras are you currently shooting with?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What cameras are you currently shooting with?

• Blackmagic Pocket 4K / 6K
    • Sony A7 III
    • Sony A9 series
    • Sony A7R III
    • Sony A7R IV
    • Sony A6400 / A6500
    • Sony A7S II
    • Sony - Other
    • Panasonic GH5
    • Panasonic GH5S
    • Panasonic GH4
    • Panasonic S1 / S1R / S1H
    • Panasonic - Other
    • Leica SL / SL2 / Other
    • Canon 5D Mark IV
    • Canon EOS R
    • Canon EOS RP
    • Canon 1D X / 1D C / 1D X II
    • Canon APS-C mirrorless
    • Canon - Other (not including Cinema EOS)
    • Fuji X-T3
    • Fuji X-T2 or older
    • Fuji X-H1
    • Fuji GFX series
    • Fuji X-T30 / X-T20
    • Fuji - Other
    • Pro Cinema Camera like Sony FS5 / Canon C300 series / EVA1
    • RED Cinema Camera
    • Pentax (You're brave)
    • Olympus OMD Series
    • Nikon Z6 / Z7
    • Nikon D850 / D810
    • Nikon - Other DSLR
    • Nikon D5 / D4
    • Something weird
    • Arri
    • Sigma Fp

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/17/2020 at 10:00 PM

26 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The real success story is Fuji who would have been on zero in the X-T1 days. What a turn around for video.

Plus an honorary mention for Nikon for runner up "most improved", they're mid pack (not great... but not bad either). Where you to suggest that outcome for Nikon an a hardcore filmmaking tech enthusiasts website, you'd have got laughed at. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators
22 minutes ago, mechanicalEYE said:

No poll love for the Sigma, or is that selection something weird? Should at least be a few fp users. ?

Will add the Fp now!

This is the most surprising thing for me. As surprising as lack of Olympus attention is sad.

bmd vs sony.jpg

Sony aren't as popular (at least with the active registered users here) as thought.

Maybe there are a lot of Sony lurkers.

Shows Blackmagic's power of marketing and lure of ProRes and RAW.

Market it as a cinema camera, sell it cheap, put ProRes and RAW in it.... And you have a winner, doesn't matter if camera itself is basic.

Andrew, I know you have your reasons as far as Blackmagic concerns, but I've been loyal Panasonic customer (before to jump there, Sony was my first video and digital love) until the day I started to use the Pocket series. Never wanted to look back. That's a cinema tool but not only in the name : ) 12-bit but not only, focus assist or the camera interface, as for instance, make the WHOLE difference to me (E : -)

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Will add the Fp now!

This is the most surprising thing for me. As surprising as lack of Olympus attention is sad.

bmd vs sony.jpg

Sony aren't as popular (at least with the active registered users here) as thought.

Shows Blackmagic's power of marketing and lure of ProRes and RAW.

Market it as a cinema camera, sell it cheap, put ProRes and RAW in it.... And you have a winner, doesn't matter if camera itself is basic.

Well Sony hasn't had a video-centric camera since A7S2 came out.. that was 5 years ago in 2015!! 

A7III was hardly an improvement over that (same codec/resolution, oversampling but with massive NR).

So they are seriously lagging while the competition has never been so strong in the FF mirrorless sector.

As for BMD, they are imo the people's champ and the reason why we're seeing RAW & ProRes RAW in other consumer cams.

BRAW is also quite an accomplishment & even the fact they bundle DaVinci is a very strong incentive to get switch to their system.

What I find interesting is how few have adopted S1/S1R/S1H despite Panny being #1 overall.

Another interesting poll idea would be what lenses people use (focal length, brand, prime/zoom/cine etc).

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

Will add the Fp now!

bmd vs sony.jpg

Sony is very popular in the marketplace for hybrid cameras.  There are a lot more "casual" sony video shooters as compared to MFT users.  For these users, video is important, but not important enough to obsess about it by participating in a forum discussing the minutia of video quality :-)

These "casual" shooters make up the majority of the $1-4K usd video market.  They are the most important market segment for the big Japanese companies.  They could buy other brands canon, fuji, blackmagic, etc. but they also want a good stills camera.  Sony is the best hybrid camera for them.  This is one of the reasons canon is losing marketshare.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Maybe it's because you post topics titled "Sony A7R IV - can confirm colour is still SH**!" ?

2 hours ago, Django said:

What I find interesting is how few have adopted S1/S1R/S1H despite Panny being #1 overall.

Regarding lack of Panasonic FF and Z Cam, I bet a lot of us are just constantly a few years behind on new gear. The S1 has looked perfect to me since day 1, but I'm waiting for a really good deal and/or a big project to use it on.

Sony is very popular with YouTube crowd. My guess is most don’t even care about skin tones that much to begin with.

I had the A7III when it first came out and people were back ordered on it. Bought Andrews EOSHD color and took it to Iceland. Sold it when I got back. Everybody was raving about the autofocus but I had situations where it was just pulsing crap fest.

The oversampled 6K image looked nice though.

Bought a GH5S instead because I couldn’t wait for a GH5 Replacement with GH5S lowlight performance. Really miss my IBIS.

47 minutes ago, KnightsFan said:

Regarding lack of Panasonic FF and Z Cam, I bet a lot of us are just constantly a few years behind on new gear. The S1 has looked perfect to me since day 1, but I'm waiting for a really good deal and/or a big project to use it on.

Yeah, I think the S1h is too expensive.  Panasonic mis-judged the marketplace.  I think this will be the same situation for the new 1dx.  By the time the S1h becomes affordable, something else will make our mouths water (14bit blackmagic pocket 8k? :-).