What cameras are you currently shooting with?

Andrew Reid

What cameras are you currently shooting with?  

116 members have voted

1. 1. What cameras are you currently shooting with?

• Blackmagic Pocket 4K / 6K
    • Sony A7 III
    • Sony A9 series
    • Sony A7R III
    • Sony A7R IV
    • Sony A6400 / A6500
    • Sony A7S II
    • Sony - Other
    • Panasonic GH5
    • Panasonic GH5S
    • Panasonic GH4
    • Panasonic S1 / S1R / S1H
    • Panasonic - Other
    • Leica SL / SL2 / Other
    • Canon 5D Mark IV
    • Canon EOS R
    • Canon EOS RP
    • Canon 1D X / 1D C / 1D X II
    • Canon APS-C mirrorless
    • Canon - Other (not including Cinema EOS)
    • Fuji X-T3
    • Fuji X-T2 or older
    • Fuji X-H1
    • Fuji GFX series
    • Fuji X-T30 / X-T20
    • Fuji - Other
    • Pro Cinema Camera like Sony FS5 / Canon C300 series / EVA1
    • RED Cinema Camera
    • Pentax (You're brave)
    • Olympus OMD Series
    • Nikon Z6 / Z7
    • Nikon D850 / D810
    • Nikon - Other DSLR
    • Nikon D5 / D4
    • Something weird
    • Arri
    • Sigma Fp

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 01/17/2020 at 10:00 PM

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Well, since the GH2 days I've been pretty true to MFT. Skipped the GH3. Then gotten the OM-D E-M1. Then the GH4. D5300. Z CAM E1. BMPCC. G7. YI M1. GX80. G80. G9. GH5. BMPCC4K. GX9. The oddball was the D5300, but I sold it due to its traditional DSLR quirks. A bunch I sold again, some are collecting dust. Still actually have the GH2. For nostalgia's sake, I can't get rid of it. Primarily these days I use the G9 and GH5 when the objective is to shoot some schtuff. Whenever the occassion is more casual, like city trips in the company of people that might not be the most patient, the GX9 will do. The steps GH2 < GH4 < GH5 have been quite remarkable and I really don't want to get myself into fullframe systems. So I for sure hope MFT really ain't dead yet and that the GH6 will be marvelous. Maybe they'll drop the top line separation and encapsulate the G9/GH5(S)' individual strengths in a single body.

The past 10 years have been mostly MTF for me, mainly Panasonic GH cameras. My kit now is probably the most disjointed it's ever been: GH5, G9, Pocket 4K, OG Pocket, and a C100 m2 with both MTF and EF mount lenses. Any one of them could be an excellent go-to camera for basically anything (except probably the OG Pocket), but I've decided to compartmentalize when each is used. Amazing times we're in.

• Administrators

Good to see such loyalty round here. So many Panasonic users ?

Maybe I should concentrate on more GH5 coverage.

I have been more focussed on the full frame cameras since a few years ago now.

GH5S and GH5 deserve more articles.

3 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

I'm wondering how the filmmaking landscape for gear has changed since the GH2 days.

Considering the GH5 is currently winning, it seems that the answer to your question is "3".

Or, put another way, 0.000821/day.

???

3 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Primarily these days I use the G9 and GH5 when the objective is to shoot some schtuff. Whenever the occassion is more casual, like city trips in the company of people that might not be the most patient, the GX9 will do. 

What is it about the GX9 that makes it 'faster'?  I never really thought of the GH5 as slow...

5 minutes ago, kye said:

I'm confused.

It was a genuine question..  like, either I learn something about the GX9, I learn something about the GH5, or I can offer advice.

As if you weren't refering back to the 'fast/slow aperture debacle'. ? But ok. The GX80 or GX9 with say the Leica 15mm f/1.7 is roughly the same footprint as an LX100. It's tiny. But... enough to take along if otherwise you'd only have your smartphone (given, the Huawei P20 Pro (especially monochrome sensor: lowlight) and P30 Pro (for its periscope optical zoom and improved video over predecessor) have really been impressive). But if I know that on the trip the goal isn't to take pictures/footage, then I'm just not taking big whoop cameras and lenses with me that literally weigh me down at the same time allow me to elaborately set up my shots carefully. Otherwise, what's the point? So... that's just where GX9 comes in. Enough to be there when you need it, but not so much as being a little bothersome to have on you.

1 minute ago, Cinegain said:

As if you weren't refering back to the 'fast/slow aperture debacle'. But ok. 

I wasn't.

1 minute ago, Cinegain said:

As if you weren't refering back to the 'fast/slow aperture debacle'. But ok. The GX80 or GX9 with say the Leica 15mm f/1.7 is roughly the same footprint as an LX100. It's tiny. But... enough to take along if otherwise you'd only have your smartphone (given, the Huawei P20 Pro (especially monochrome sensor: lowlight) and P30 Pro (for its periscope optical zoom and improved video over predecessor) have really been impressive). But if I know that on the trip the goal isn't to take pictures/footage, then I'm just not taking big whoop cameras and lenses with me that literally weigh me down at the same time allow me to elaborately set up my shots carefully. Otherwise, what's the point? So... that's just where GX9 comes in. Enough to be there when you need it, but not so much as being a little bothersome to have on you.

That makes sense.

I guess it just depends on what lenses you have on it.  I have a GF3, and when paired with the 14mm f2.5 pancake it's (just..) pocketable, but you put the kit lens on it, or anything with a longer focal length or wider aperture and the size advantage disappears pretty quickly, but whatever works for you.

I thought for a second there your reference of people who aren't so 'patient' might be to people in fast cars, maybe a street racing reference, illegal street racing, small camera doesn't attract attention etc...  for street videos, or maybe undercover law enforcement.  Or alternatively, referencing some kind of meme I'm unaware of, or humour that I wasn't getting, or.....  or....

???

12 minutes ago, kye said:

I wasn't.

That makes sense.

I guess it just depends on what lenses you have on it.  I have a GF3, and when paired with the 14mm f2.5 pancake it's (just..) pocketable, but you put the kit lens on it, or anything with a longer focal length or wider aperture and the size advantage disappears pretty quickly, but whatever works for you.

I thought for a second there your reference of people who aren't so 'patient' might be to people in fast cars, maybe a street racing reference, illegal street racing, small camera doesn't attract attention etc...  for street videos, or maybe undercover law enforcement.  Or alternatively, referencing some kind of meme I'm unaware of, or humour that I wasn't getting, or.....  or....

???

No, it's literally when you're with friends, family or whatever and you're like 'ooh, that's awesome, gotta grab a shot of that' and they ain't having any of that so you quickly grab your shot and run back to catch up with them as they've moved along not being bothered to wait up. xD Like... that's different to when I have my GH5 and the goal actually is photo-/videography and can take my time to work out the best angles, lighting, maybe even grab a tripod, etc. I always have a little backpack or shoulderbag on me, when I'm out and about and having the GX9 in there is no big deal (and because you never know when you get a GAS moment and need to bring something home, lol).

20 minutes ago, leslie said:

i'm a bit surprised the is no category for other black magic cameras, not to mention red or arri,  perhaps they come under pro cinema cameras ?

There is an option for that (Any pro cinema camera fs5 onward) I actually messed up my vote and didn't click that ?

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

What are you shooting with now?

Main cameras:
My cellphone (shameful, but true), Panasonic G6, Fujifilm X-A3. 

Cameras used, but less often:
Sony PMW-F3, Nikon D5200, OG BMPCC
(plus a zillion older cameras just sitting on the shelf)

6 hours ago, Cinegain said:

Still actually have the GH2. For nostalgia's sake, I can't get rid of it.

Same, don't think I'll ever sell my GH1!