Sony a6500 heavier rig?

Dustin

Shot a lot around the house during the holidays with my family. Got a lot of nice shots out of the Sony a6500 with the 35mm1.8. (Also enjoyed getting a few shots on the viltrox f to e mount speedbooster using a Nikon 28mm and 100mm 2.8 (series e) lenses.) I cut the video for personal family viewing this week and while overall I was satisfied with the edit-  I’m sick and tired of the horrible rolling shutter in 4K!

Background: I’ve owned this camera setup for 2 years. I mainly shoot hand held, on the go style videos. I’m a hobbyist and I’ll occasionally take a paid gig or two. This is mainly for fun, not my 9-5. I do take it the craft seriously though.

I’ve seen guys like Matteo Bertoli argue that for handheld you really need to make the camera heavier. I’ve mainly used a manfrotto mini tripod as a ghetto shoulder rig with one leg on my shoulder and my fist holding the other two. This works in a pinch if I’m really steady. It’s not ideal for me personally. Results are mixed.

Here is my question...would rigging up the a6500 to make it heavier, give me better handheld results - ie better rolling shutter control?? Something like a small rig cage/top handle? Any further stabilization ideas that don’t involve buying a gimbal?? (I own a monopod but rarely use it for quick style shooting). I’ve watched tons of videos about shooting better handheld, but no I won’t shoot 120fps (still can look shaky in slow mo), or rely on a camera strap! 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Honestly, I think you should revisit your GH5 idea. You can only fight these cameras so much. They are good at what they're good at. If you were using a gimbal and needed the AF, then yeah roll with the a6500 but if you want to go handheld and do movement... the GH5 is the way to go unless you want an Olympus which would be even more steady.

I haven't tested myself personally,. but I think that 1080p is supposed to have significantly less rolling shutter than 4K. (But I always shoot 4K on a gimbal with my Sony cameras, so I am not an authority on this.)

I don't think that adding sheer weight is the solution, to be honest. 

Maybe a small rig cage might help, but I think it would help by adding various grips to the cage so that ergonomically it is easier to hold. 

And the other thing is to move at the waist or at the legs, instead of moving with your hands / arms, unless you have to.

But as @mercer and @IronFilm mentioned, the Sony a6500 is not a good camera if you want to minimize RS.

Thanks @mercer @IronFilm and @Mark Romero 2! I know I can’t defeat the laws of my camera and appreciate your advice!

I’m not really in a rush to swap so I’m taking my time but I’m thinking maybe a GH5 in 2020 might be the route. I THOUGHT I needed Auto focus but to be honest, I think I value IBIS or good rolling shutter over it. I THOUGHT I would use slog2/3 but my best results so far have been using @Andrew Reid EOSHD pro color and pro log (the modified Cine4 profile). I suppose I could by a gimbal for $3-400 used but that wouldn’t solve all my needs.

In 2020 I’m wanting a camera that with a cage can give me a good codec for grading, good IBIS, and a nice cinematic image. I think my a6500 is perfectly capable and I’ve gotten some nice results but it’s flaws are sticking out more and more since purchasing it two years ago. 

I also have a soft spot for the BMPCC4k with some of the images I’ve seen but I’m well aware that the $1200 entry point is just that, an entry point. Rigging it up as I want it would put me out of budget.

I think I’m going to be scouring eBay for a cheap GH5 Kit or maybe a G9 once the update. I’ve been monitoring sold prices of a6500 packages. I’d have to sell my whole kit to get into anything new. Looks like around $500-800 is the going rate for a camera with a lens and a few batteries (I have 5 or 6 including the original Sony). Unless you guys have other gear ideas for around the same price points. Maybe it’s time to ditch the Sony?

5 hours ago, Dustin said:

I’m not really in a rush to swap so I’m taking my time but I’m thinking maybe a GH5 in 2020 might be the route. I THOUGHT I needed Auto focus but to be honest, I think I value IBIS or good rolling shutter over it. I THOUGHT I would use slog2/3 but my best results so far have been using @Andrew Reid EOSHD pro color and pro log (the modified Cine4 profile). I suppose I could by a gimbal for $3-400 used but that wouldn’t solve all my needs.

You could sell your a6500 on eBay and get a Panasonic G85 instead on eBay and even come out a little ahead. 

The Sony 35mm f1.8 is a cheap APS-C lens they make for their cameras, so even if sold at a loss, you shouldn't be losing too much. (ditto the speedbooster sale)

Yes, the G85 is "only 8bit", but so is your a6500, so you wouldn't be moving backwards. 

Just something to think about. 

You could run for that setup for say a year or so,  by then the GH6 will have been announced and been out for half a dozen months (perhaps). And GH5 prices then will have seen a massive dump in prices on ebay I'd hope, and you should be able to pick up a GH5 body for well under $1K

You'd grab a GH5, and your G85 becomes the perfect B Cam to your new GH5!

Hey all! After taking many of the good suggestions into considerations- I believe I will be selling my a6500 kit. It meets many of my needs but not all of them! With that money I am eyeing reinvesting into a (used) g85, GH5 or G9. Unless anyone else has similar suggestions! 

G85, is currently making the most sense as the profit I would net from my a6500 kit would allow me to reinvest in lenses (even though I love my Nikon primes they aren’t always the best fit!). Curious to hear your thoughts! For me, decent 4K codec, ibis, tolerable rolling shutter, slow mo options (60p or 120) and good color science with a flat profile, are my chief concerns. 

Thanks man! I’ve decided I’m going to cool it a bit and start saving some money. When the time comes I’ll sell my a6500 kit to help! Not a bad camera but it certainly has its limits. Andrew’s pro color though really has a nice look to it!