Oscar nominations Cinematography

odie

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

1917 is brilliant. One of my favorite movies of the year and insanely remarkable how they made the film. The sets, the lighting, the choreography, and the techniques used in this film are all groundbreaking - and it's even a great, emotional, and beautiful film. Right up there with Dunkirk as my favorite war movie of all time.

This video shows a lot of what makes the filming of this movie so special:

On 1/14/2020 at 12:35 AM, Geoff CB said:

1917 is going to win because the "single shot" aspect. I am very glad The Lighthouse got a nomination here though. Use of old glass, old film stock, and a great grade in a unique aspect ratio. It definitely took risks and it paid off.  

My thoughts exactly. I'd be happily surprised if The Lighthouse wins though!

On 1/13/2020 at 1:13 PM, currensheldon said:

1917 is brilliant. One of my favorite movies of the year and insanely remarkable how they made the film. The sets, the lighting, the choreography, and the techniques used in this film are all groundbreaking - and it's even a great, emotional, and beautiful film. Right up there with Dunkirk as my favorite war movie of all time.

This video shows a lot of what makes the filming of this movie so special:

Awesome.  Does it stay believable that the man character could do what he did physically over a 2 1/2 hour period? Everything looks like he's Jack Bauer, who also had some what of a continues time-line.  24 is one of my all-time favorite cinema shows.

4 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

I haven't seen 1917 yet. The Lighthouse looked absolutely incredible though. There was definitely so very much time and effort put forth in crafting that look. I think it really paid off in serving the story.

The Lighthouse was an amazing movie, beautifully shot and executed. But I think 1917 will win this year

12 hours ago, Super8 said:

Awesome.  Does it stay believable that the man character could do what he did physically over a 2 1/2 hour period? Everything looks like he's Jack Bauer, who also had some what of a continues time-line.  24 is one of my all-time favorite cinema shows.

I think 1917 did a great job of keeping the film exciting, but it is not "action-packed" like most action/war movies. It feels very realistic. It's more stressful and tense than high-flying action. And, like in real life, any fights are messy and realistic. I really think they toed the line very well of action and reality. 

On 1/16/2020 at 6:43 AM, billdoubleu said:

I haven't seen 1917 yet. The Lighthouse looked absolutely incredible though. There was definitely so very much time and effort put forth in crafting that look. I think it really paid off in serving the story.

+1

Film gets you in with excellence and a small budget 

Finally saw 1917. And after seeing I think it deserves the win. The staging and framing throughout the film did not suffer from it being a single shot, and there were only a few moments where I think a traditional style would have suited the story better in the particular moment.

The sequence in a burned down town that is lit primarily with flares is absolutely stunning. 

flares.jpg