This guy is a genius

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Yeah I love his channel. His contax zeiss episode was one of the best things I’ve seen on YouTube in our genre. It’s refreshing to see someone put in actual effort and not clickbait bullshit over and over. The video/photographer cliche videos are comical at this point “don’t buy until you watch” or “I was wrong about this camera” with the same style thumbnails and the same style videos with horrendous color grading because they used a horrible LUT that blows out their highlights and over-saturates everything. Hopefully we can see more channels like the one you posted. Sorry, I had to vent. 

14 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

>snip<

An interesting experiment

This immediately reminded me of an incident from some years ago when my (then teenage) nephew grabbed both my brother's and my twin DCR-TVR820 Hi-8 Sony camcorders and began walking around holding them together, best he could, filming everything at a family event...his goal was to be able to shoot a "stereo 3D movie"! Interestingly, my brother later took that footage and was able to create some single-frame stereographs! I love watching this sort of out-of-the-box experimenting!

Regarding 8K/10K footage...too bad Panasonic didn't provide their S1R with enough electronic horsepower to give us some out-of-the-gate 8K UHD (7680 x 4320) or Cinema 8K (8196x4320) with that gorgeous new (8368 x 5584 Photo) sensor...though I expect this is all in the pipeline for future model releases. (...rolls fingers...)

9 hours ago, barefoot_dp said:

I don't understand his claim that what he is doing in not the same as a panorama.... it is.

No.  It's not.

He is just doing stitch/shift (he cutely calls it "twinspin").  Shots are captured as the sensor is shifted around the focal plane to cover the larger image circle of the lens -- the lens/camera is not panned. 

On the other hand, shooting a panorama with a normal camera involves panning the entire camera between shots  -- there is no shifting of the sensor along the focal plane of the lens to capture more of the lens' image circle.

I don't mean to be a downer, but there is nothing special about what this guy is doing in this test, and he makes most of the same fatal mistakes as other "format comparers" who came before him.

What he calls "twinspin" has been around for awhile known by another name.  He could have bought a more versatile shift/stitch bracket, instead of using that rig.  The most popular line of shift/stitch brackets probably are the Vizelex/Rhino-Cam offerngs:

By the way, our own @maxotics made his own shift/stitch bracket!:

I really enjoy Media Division. I love how he deep dives into topics with history and backstory. His shooting style is easy going yet beautiful. He likes his Panasonic cameras too!

I love to grab a cup of coffee and watch his stuff. He doesn’t post often though, which kinda, weirdly, makes things more enjoyable.

Its like slow food, or slow travel, you just enjoy it more.

even though YouTube demands quantity of quality.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • Administrators

Videos like these are just superb.

The Canon 55mm FD F1.2 SSC Aspherical is a big improvement over the older version. Would be good to see him test that in a follow-up.

I like what Kipon are doing. Don't like the images wide open from the 40mm though, sadly. Draws a lot of attention to itself and it ain't cheap!

I'd go for one of their BavEyes adapters instead and vintage glass.

14 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The Canon 55mm FD F1.2 SSC Aspherical is a big improvement

I used to shoot the EM5II with the FD55mm lens and a speed booster.  Always found it a lot of fun to use.  I'd do entire corporate run and gun shoots, no lights, with that.  Wonderful flexibility as I could get decent exposure anywhere I went.  I'm not into wedding videography, but I always imagined that set-up would be ideal for such.  A longer lens with a ton of character combined with an underrated but superb hand held camera?  What's to to like?

I'm with the GH5 and a collection of Voightlander lenses now, but still miss those EM5II days.

12 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I'm with the GH5 and a collection of Voightlander lenses now, but still miss those EM5II days.

What do you miss and what made you change?

In all my camera researching I came across very little of the Olympus cameras, and after Dave Altizer reviewed their more recent flagship it seems like they have some great cameras but no-one is talking about them.  Some people were trying to get me to go Olympus but I went the GH5 because of the 10-bit internal, which is pretty hard to beat for flexibility in post.

54 minutes ago, kye said:

What do you miss and what made you change?

In all my camera researching I came across very little of the Olympus cameras, and after Dave Altizer reviewed their more recent flagship it seems like they have some great cameras but no-one is talking about them.  Some people were trying to get me to go Olympus but I went the GH5 because of the 10-bit internal, which is pretty hard to beat for flexibility in post.

They're always a generation or two behind regarding the spec sheet.  

The thing that I liked is that the IQ is decent enough (even if it's not as good as others), the color out of the camera is really nice, exceptional IBIS, and then  -for me- the intangible factor of the ergonomics.  You can't quantify that as it's a matter of taste.  I just really really liked using the camera.  It made me want to do more.  Not many cameras inspired me to be more creative by simply encouraging me to go use it in new and exciting ways.

Bottom line:  Other cameras will squeak out a percentage of performance here, an extra percentage of performance there.  8-bit vs. 10bit, for example.  But if I'm getting more shots (and more fun shots) with the EM5II than I would with a, say, an Ursa Mini Pro in RAW, then what camera is ultimately a better solution for me?  It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  

I keep arguing with my wife that we should sell our more up market gear and just get two EM10III's!  A majority of the things we do production wise has us running around and shooting things as fast as possible.  The Oly's are good at that.  

Now, to be fair, the GH5's 240fps slow-mo is a god-send in that regard too.  I'm partial to being small and fast on site, so that's my bias.  Others like cameras that are rigged out to the maximum and are content to get one exceptional shot per hour.  Whatever works.

BTW, I switched to GH5 in 2017  'cuz we're making a series of docs that required 4K delivery.

13 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

They're always a generation or two behind regarding the spec sheet.  

The thing that I liked is that the IQ is decent enough (even if it's not as good as others), the color out of the camera is really nice, exceptional IBIS, and then  -for me- the intangible factor of the ergonomics.  You can't quantify that as it's a matter of taste.  I just really really liked using the camera.  It made me want to do more.  Not many cameras inspired me to be more creative by simply encouraging me to go use it in new and exciting ways.

Bottom line:  Other cameras will squeak out a percentage of performance here, an extra percentage of performance there.  8-bit vs. 10bit, for example.  But if I'm getting more shots (and more fun shots) with the EM5II than I would with a, say, an Ursa Mini Pro, then what camera is ultimately a better solution for me?  It all depends on what you're trying to accomplish.  

I keep arguing with my wife that we should sell our more up market gear and just get two EM10III's!  A majority of the things we do production wise has us running around and shooting things as fast as possible.  The Oly's are good at that.

Now, to be fair, the GH5's 240fps slow-mo is a god-send in that regard too.

Absolutely.  Any shot you took is better than every shot you didn't.  I also rate ergonomics pretty highly in equipment as I think it frees up the emotional energy we would spend being annoyed and allows us to better get into the zone and be more creative, improving composition and the other things that no amount of bit-depth or bit-rate can compensate for :) 

23 minutes ago, fuzzynormal said:

I like the Gh5, but his attitude when I look at him on the shelf is like, "Hey, how's it going?"  The EM5II was more like, "C'mon man, what are we doing next!?"

Yeah, Gh5 is not a beauty. But an almost perfect video/film camera. When I see the pretty images it produces, its outer shape becomes as beautiful as an Oly can be. But heck are these Olys pretty! @fuzzynormal You still have your Lumix GM1? That one is a beautiful looking camera!

46 minutes ago, PannySVHS said:

still have your Lumix GM1?

I wish.  Sold it when I did the GH5 purchase.  That body with my 25mm Auto110 lens on it was such a perfect pocket cam.  Used it for guerrilla video shooting more than a few times.  My wife would also shoot video with it using a loupe and pistol grip, like a little super8 film camera.  So much fun.  It aged well too.  The scuffs gave it more character than it already had.  There's a reason it's still my avatar icon all these years later.

Oh, it IS a GM1! Always took it for a GX7:) If it had a 50mbit codec only, if the GX7 had on or even the GX85, which has rather average HD quality. If the GM1 only had the ingenius thumb wheel I would forgive the lack of 50mbit and make it the worthy successor of the GF1 and a huge video upgrade to it, which the GX1 is not neither both of them.