Sony A7R IV - can confirm colour is still SH**!

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Apparently Sports Illustrated didn’t care either. That would be a 30 second Hue mask correction.

So I think we have our answer.

Also, 24.2 MP image then cropped good enough for cover of magazine.

A EM1X with a 20MP and a 600mm equiv. lens would probably yield better results, except for maybe DoF. Looks light more than enough light on that field.

12 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

And you consider that a good skintones test?

Screenshot 2020-01-17 at 13.49.38.png

HAHAHAHAHA.  Sorry couldn't resist.

Bad skin tone from a Professional Sony photographer.  Let me in and I'll nail the shot and skin color with a Canon. 

16 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

@Super8

Latest Sports Illustrated cover was shot with a Sony A9 with a 400 2.8 GM.

But serious pros don't use Sony right?

?

Sometimes its better to remain silent and be thought a fool than to speak and remove all doubt 

- Abe Lincoln 

To be honest I am impressed with the access Kevin has to big events.  I like a few of the photo's he's taken regardless of the camera. 

Update comment: For all the access Kevin has to the Falcons, how come those pictures are so boring? I don't mean to disrespect him but I don't get it.  His photo's are bad. No anticipation, very bad composition , bad color, nothing dynamic, missed focus. 

6 hours ago, Super8 said:

HAHAHAHAHA.  Sorry couldn't resist.

Bad skin tone from a Professional Sony photographer.  Let me in and I'll nail the shot and skin color with a Canon. 

To be honest I am impressed with the access Kevin has to big events.  I like a few of the photo's he's taken regardless of the camera. 

Update comment: For all the access Kevin has to the Falcons, how come those pictures are so boring? I don't mean to disrespect him but I don't get it.  His photo's are bad. No anticipation, very bad composition , bad color, nothing dynamic, missed focus. 

Link your portfolio and link all of your magazine published editorial work.

10 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Wow, Still at 24 MP for sports cameras. The camera industry is like molasses.

Sports shooters really don't need any more. (and neither do most of us!)

It's just like us sound mixers recording at 48KHz for many years, as more really is not necessary. 

Heck, more megapixels can be BAD if it slows down their workflow of getting images uploaded immediately and instantly to their press agency. 

5 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are people not entitled to their opinions any more, unless they are magazine published? That would be a bit harsh!

His response to me was "Bad skin tone from a Professional Sony photographer.  Let me in and I'll nail the shot and skin color with a Canon." "His photo's are bad. No anticipation, very bad composition , bad color, nothing dynamic, missed focus."

I'm giving him the chance to prove himself. ?

Imagine thinking that photo is straight out of camera? Imagine thinking you know how he setup his picture profile? Imagine being so self-absorbed you can be condescending and nasty in a community forum that’s purpose is to share ideas and help? 

is everyone here on their period? Is there a prerequisite for being a keyboard warrior to have had a bad childhood and shitty father that you lash out at people constantly? 

imagine being a forum of mean girls from the movie mean girls?

i like the Colors from every single camera. I prefer slightly warmer tones that tilt red hue, I like that. I also like images that don’t have that. I like videos that don’t AB ad naseum or shoot brick walls. 

I like helpful people. 

I like that photo from SI, is like it better with a slide toward warmer. 

I hope to learn from the calmer and less mentally deranged members :)

I’m talking to you cranky folks ;)

D559435B-A375-4E66-BD1E-2AC9A0D4FE9A.jpeg

7 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

Link your portfolio and link all of your magazine published editorial work.

Wait a minute.

I don't have any opinion on Sony's colors and this thread leaves me bsolutely unmoved. Yet, your comment rubbed me the wrong way.
Should I ask for your credential next time you're talking about a movie ? Or a book ? Or a TV series ? 

Obviously people should react with self-control, but everyone is allowed to have an opinion, how shitty it is.

3 hours ago, Mako Sports said:

His response to me was "Bad skin tone from a Professional Sony photographer.  Let me in and I'll nail the shot and skin color with a Canon." "His photo's are bad. No anticipation, very bad composition , bad color, nothing dynamic, missed focus."

I'm giving him the chance to prove himself. ?

If Kevin can get me access to the Falcons or large sporting event I'll be glad top stand by my word.

I honestly didn't mean to disrespect Kevin at all but out of all his Atlanta Falcons shots I saw one that was good.  I crew up with Sports Illustrated and NFL films and unlimited access and behind the scenes with a NFL team is almost unprecedented.  His photo's are his own.  It comes down to finding the shot.

Again, I'm sorry that I offended anyone with my comments.  I respect the photographer but I don't like the picture he takes.  I could say I don't prefer or his photo's don't do it for me but it means the same-thing.   Kevin is blessed with access to big events that other don't have and I'm sure he paid his dues, I respect that. 

The great thing about photography is it's one picture at a time, one. Photographs can be amazing and can capture the moment in so many ways. Let's not forget that.

Don't kill him to be entitled to have his opinion, fairly enough I guess, but both sides apply as well. So do the criticism to the critic. Don't kill the messenger too. His right to comment is no less solid at all. He also has his point. Andrew has spoken, nuff said : -)

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

He doesn't need to prove himself!

He has an opinion and that's that.

It's not a photo competition.

The skin tones are pretty dreadful in my opinion as well, but it's not ideal light.

Andrew I do not think anyone is arguing he (or anyone) can not have an opinion that "Sony sucks" but it is when he says rubbish like no serious photographers/videographers use Sony that his "opinion" takes a massive credibility hit.     Even that thread of yours on Canon and Netflix had Sony actually equal second that seems to have been missed by some.      That SI cover has band skin tones?  OK, what about looking at all the previous ones, I am sure there would be flaws detectable with them too (still no way I will ever have a SI cover no matter how much I tried).    For ME, the worst camera I ever owned was a Sony but so was the best one.     It is great we are all different.

• Administrators

"No Pros...." It may be hyperbole or figure of speech, not meant literally, but the general thrust of his argument is fine by me, since the vast majority of top-end pros still use Canon and Nikon. Of course "pro" is a very broad church but top end don't use much Sony... How many do you see at the Olympics compared to Canikon? Sony are bigger with enthusiasts.

The label "Pro" is overrated, some happen to be crap!

Simply by being an artist I respect, regardless of how you make your living is worth more than any magazine cover, to me at least... And yes quite a few "pros" wouldn't know good colour if it leapt out of them in a dark forest.

The sports shot above is a case in point.

He's managed to do a burst shot and pick one. Well done.

• Super Members

When you compare the magazine version to the original, its quite interesting to see how much SI changed it.

Not just in terms of burning the background OOF areas which is quite common but also in terms of the colour.

Helmet is orange in one and almost yellow in the other.

40 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

When you compare the magazine version to the original, its quite interesting to see how much SI changed it.

Not just in terms of burning the background OOF areas which is quite common but also in terms of the colour.

Helmet is orange in one and almost yellow in the other.

Yep. I have a feeling the color change on the helmet was so it didn't clash with their logo color (or the color they chose to use for the logo). Very similar with the original helmet. They also cleaned up his jersey and removed the green cast from the field.