Blackmagic URSA 4.6K G2 - bad dynamic range results

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Cinema5D buried their test for 6 months and now we know why

https://***URL not allowed***/ursa-mini-pro-4-6-g2-vs-g1-dynamic-range-and-latitude-test/

How is it nearly 13 stops dynamic range when the image falls apart and goes green when pushed up 3 stops

Not only does it look worse than the old G1 camera, probably worse than the new 6K Pocket as well, although that camera has its own issues to say the least.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I was under the assumption that G2 was supposed to have a marginally improved image quality over the G1, but that does not appear to be the case, if anything it is worse.

As slow motion is headline feature, it seems that the last thing you would want when shooting slow motion, due to the high shutter speeds and less light getting through to the sensor, is to have issues with your potentially under exposed image.

Is this issue related to the specific sensor used for each camera?

Doesn’t the Pocket 4K basically share the same sensor as GH5s?  I have not heard of the GH5s having the green-under issue, so this is a mystery to me why this happening with these specific cameras.

If it can be fixed in firmware, then the Pocket 4K would be on my buying list, if and when the green-under issues gets fixed.

30 minutes ago, majoraxis said:

I was under the assumption that G2 was supposed to have a marginally improved image quality over the G1, but that does not appear to be the case, if anything it is worse.

As slow motion is headline feature, it seems that the last thing you would want when shooting slow motion, due to the high shutter speeds and less light getting through to the sensor, is to have issues with your potentially under exposed image.

Is this issue related to the specific sensor used for each camera?

Doesn’t the Pocket 4K basically share the same sensor as GH5s?  I have not heard of the GH5s having the green-under issue, so this is a mystery to me why this happening with these specific cameras.

If it can be fixed in firmware, then the Pocket 4K would be on my buying list, if and when the green-under issues gets fixed.

DR/latitude aren't the only metrics for image quality.

If there's a risk of underexposure, there's a thing called lighting.

4.6K uses a custom Fairchild sensor.

These cameras are designed to be used in a professional capacity.

They tend to assume that people using them will not routinely make the mistake of shooting a f/8 instead of f/2.8 (ie: 3 stops underexposed).

Same reason why these cameras don't have aggressive NR like the consumer cams do - they assume you'll be using lights and managing your exposure to prevent noise. The downside is that they are less forgiving when you do make mistakes. But, really... 3 stops under? How? When?