Insta360 ONE R modular camera series

Emanuel

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
23 hours ago, Emanuel said:

1-inch edition co-engineered with Leica.

Interesting...

35mm Equivalent Focal Length  14.4mm

Photo Resolution. 5312x3552 (3:2) 5312x2988 (16:9)

Video Resolution. 5312x2988@30fps, 3840x2160@60fps, 3840x2160@30fps, 2720x1530@60fps, 2720x1530@30fps, 1920x1080@120fps, 1920x1080@60fps, 1920x1080@30fps

Photo Format. jpg, RAW (dng) (RAW files require software on PC/Mac to export)

Video Format. insv(can be exported via App or Studio), mp4 (enable in-camera basic stabilization), LOG

Video Coding. H.264 / H.265

Video Modes. Standard video, Timelapse mode, TimeShift mode

Weight. 158.2g

Dimensions (W x H x D). 78.7 x 53.8 x 47.2

Run Time. 5.3K @30fps - 65 minutes

Video Bitrate. 100Mbps

Gyroscope. 6-axis Gyroscope

I was half expecting another 24mm equivalent FOV, but 14.4mm is crazy wide, so that's pretty cool.  I'm assuming the lens will be fixed focus, but I guess you can't be sure - the Sony RX0 wasn't fixed, and that is the other significant "larger sensor / action camera size" contender, although with the 24mm equivalent lens the RX0 is a very different offering.

100Mbps h265 5K video is quite interesting.  

I was actually thinking when I saw the "modular action camera" promos that it would be truly modular in the sense that you could put one module facing forwards, one backwards, stack the extenders, have ones pointing sideways, etc etc..  you know, actually modular, but obviously not.  Still, interchangeable camera modules is a start.

Did order the one R as I use quite a bit the one X as action camera but not being waterproof and the very fragile mount and no lens protection is a pain. I have the venture case but is the worst thing I brought the stitching even with the flag for venture case is quite bad. If it is good I will sell the one X. 

I did take a loom at the 8k quocam but no exchangeable battery, size and same fragile construction is not well suited as action cam.

Waiting for review of the 1’ module if it is good I will buy it to replace my gopro 4.....

One doesn't replace the other or they wouldn't be willing to offer modularity, isn't it? ; ) I am buying both of routes BTW, how they can be fairly compared for a double weight? Let alone different features such as the pure action cam concept vs VR 360 capture (Qoocam 8K is far to be an action camera), 3D module or even distinct sensor size or resolution. C'mon... : -)

On 1/12/2020 at 10:12 PM, gt3rs said:

Did order the one R as I use quite a bit the one X as action camera but not being waterproof and the very fragile mount and no lens protection is a pain. I have the venture case but is the worst thing I brought the stitching even with the flag for venture case is quite bad. If it is good I will sell the one X. 

I did take a loom at the 8k quocam but no exchangeable battery, size and same fragile construction is not well suited as action cam.

Waiting for review of the 1’ module if it is good I will buy it to replace my gopro 4.....

Beyond the shitty YT encoding, obviously, despite that, I don't think this will beat the QooCam 8K camera 10-bit quality to be pretty sincere here:

• 2 weeks later...

I should receive my One R this week, the 360 module does not seems any better than the One X that I have, but the waterproof and the screen is a good upgrade for me as the venturecase is a piece of c.... so I will sell the One X as I used a lot in the snow and water.
The 360 reframe quality is not yet ready for prime time but is so good to reframe in post that for certain type of action is unbeatable.
The 1 inch module seems a good step up from the hero 8 and similar. One cool thing is that you can enable or disable the stabilization and the fov in post..... the hero 8 is already processed so if you set the wrong one or you don't know if is better with what level of stabilization you are toasted…. I was shooting last week some rally cars with some hero 8s and when I wanted the hypersmooth on I had it off and vice versa…. 

Finally got the insta360 One R

Tested quickly yesterday on a skiing session. Here some observation compared to the One X that I have since a year:

+ Gopro swivel mount is great on action cam especially in case of impact as it tend to lose and not break like the tripod mount of the One X. I wish it would be like the Max that the "wings" are part of the body and you don't need a frame.

+ Water proof without the stupid venture case is good, no more crappy stitching or strange vignetting while using it in snow or water.

+ Screen is small but visible in daylight and quite intuitive to use

+ You can use apple watch to control it and to get the GPS stats, I find the phone not ideal while doing sports.... much prefer the watch as remote. I wish it had GPS in the camera itself like gopros

+ battery seems to last longer

+ Phone app is better you can edit without copying the file first so you save space and you can have a quicker turnaround

-+ with the frame and swivel is noticeable heavier that the One X but the shape is better for helm mounting, rollbars, handlebars, etc...

- USB C, MicroSD card door is quite cheap and hard to use while inside the frame

- Construction seems less polished than the One X

- 25 fps not yet available

Video quality is exactly the same as the One X nothing more nothing less.

Did not test yet the 4k mod (seems very similar to a Hero 8 so not a bad option to have) but with the advantage that you can enable and disable FOV and more important stabilization in post.

Did not order yet the 1 inch as you cannot find it nowhere

Bottom-line if you use the One X as action cam then this is quite a big upgrade if not then is not worth the upgrade cost. My One X is on sale and I keep this one.

• 7 months later...
  • 9 months later...