Affordable speed booster for E Mount

Dustin

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

IMHO, it's more wise and future-proof to buy Canon EF speedbooster, then adapting your Nikon lenses to EF and finally stacking these two adapters together.

Canon EF is much more universal mount than Nikon F and if you ever wanted to adapt other lenses (say M42, Pentax K, etc.), there will be no problem with achieving infinity focus, etc.

I do this all the time.
I've got Zhongyi Lens Turbo II with EF mount even though I don't have any native Canon EF lens.

Thanks all! @heart0less I have also seen that adapter but I don’t really like the idea of two adapters especially when I have no interest in canon or EF mount. I understand the idea behind it though! Is the Lens Turbo II ($150) really that much better than this Viltrox? 

@EthanAlexander Most people seem to prefer canon FD glass so I seem to find a lot of reviews on the canon adapter, less the Nikon. I’ll check the comparable reviews and make a decision I guess!

My goal with this adapter is that I’m trying to use what I have to help adapt to my filmmaking needs. I currently own Nikon series e 28 f2.8, 50mm 1.8 and 100mm f2.8 lenses (mainly use to shoot film on a Nikon fe2). My only native Sony lens is the 35mm 1.8. Love the af but to be honest I miss the manual control. I have a dumb adapter already but 28/35 is too close. I also need a wide lens so I thought hey, why not adapt  all the Nikon lenses you have and then boom wider lens collection. I’ve been following Matteo Bertoli and a few others who are still using manual vintage film lenses so I want to give this a more fair shot in my a6500 with what I have. Not exclusively tied to this adapter but was liking the affordability of it. Wouldn’t be opposed to spending $150 if it was THAT much better of a quality jump...

not sure whether you have seen this or not but mattias burling did a comparison between a couple of speedboosters

I bought the cheap  villtrox nikon nf to mft adapter just so i could mount  the tokina 28-70 in nikon mount to the p4k, later i bought the vilttox ef-m2 speedbooster with a cheap dumb adapter i can mount the nikon to the speedbooster or i can mount m42 lenses with another cheap adapter. The only thing i can add is that i find the thumbscrew tighteners on the tripod socket foot to be a bit wriggly, never seem to tighten sufficiently for me. Buying the ef mount would certainly add some flexibility for later 

Thanks for the suggestions all! I just fired up my a6500 for some test shots using just a simple dumb adapter and the Nikon 100 e series 2.8. Bokeh is really nice at 2.8 and something about it gives a character my Sony 35mm 1.8 can’t get! Def going to invest in a speed booster after some test shots! Next step will be to rig up the a6500. I’ll admit the ibis does help more than I thought but still way too wobbly. Gonna pick up a small rig cage/top handle.

Nikon E 100/2.8 is great, I have it too. 

Really small and handy, great results. 

Re: Viltrox vs Lens Turbo II - it really depends. I owned Viltrox EF-M2 for M43 and it was exceptional. No complaints. 

But I've also heard that Viltrox made for Fuji isn't that good and may introduce massive vignetting, as if the glass elements are too small..

I didn't care for all the electronic stuff and AF (since all my lenses are manual) and noticed that someone was selling Lens Turbo locally (for ~80 $), so I bit the bullet and got it instead. 

I'm happy with it. 

Alright viltrox cheapo speedbooster is in my hands! Came in a nice case. Hard plastic but feels sturdy. I’m assuming I have to set the f ring to whatever lowest f stop my lens is? Put on my favorite 28mm lens and holy crap it’s like shooting full frame on my Nikon fe2 film body! FOV is similar! Still have my tree up so I plan to do some tests with nice Christmas bokeh this weekend. Curious to see image quality...

Well just looked at image quality and I’m honestly impressed. I’m not doing anything scientific to compare but I’m liking the image. You get more of that full frame like fov. I’m not pixel peeping but I think for anyone looking for an affordable way to adapt vintage Nikon manual primes, you won’t be disappointed at only $80. 

Ok stupid question- on the 100mm 2.8 shots, I’m noticing some dirt in the bokeh. I didn’t see this on the 28mm 2.8. Do I need to take a dust blower to the 100mm? Im assuming since I don’t see dirt on the 28 it must be the lens not the speedbooster right?