Digital Bolex D16

skiphunt

I'm surprised I haven't seen any forum chatter about the Digital Bolex D16 cameras. It's more pricey than what I want at the moment, but I did hold a prototype at SXSW2013 and was VERY intrigued. Felt good in the hand, good weight, and I personally think 2k is plenty res. Also liked what appeared to be a more modular approach to the camera. 

Anyway, I just noticed that they're shipping to the original Kickstarter backers now and they're taking pre-orders for the next 500 after Dec 16th. http://www.digitalbolex.com

What do folks here think about them?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I'm buying one. 2k, global shutter, raw, cine ergonomics. xlr, 512gb ssd, progressive leadership, ticks a lot of boxes for me. Only hassle is the sensor size means I'd need super wide lenses. People think the bmpc speedbooster may work on it, they are shipping the first batch this week so hopefully we will find out soon.

Can't wait :)

I'm buying one. 2k, global shutter, raw, cine ergonomics. xlr, 512gb ssd, progressive leadership, ticks a lot of boxes for me. Only hassle is the sensor size means I'd need super wide lenses. People think the bmpc speedbooster may work on it, they are shipping the first batch this week so hopefully we will find out soon.

Can't wait :)

Keep us updated if you get a chance to use the speedbooster on it. Thanks!

I'm torn on it. What I've seen so far, indeed looks like a faithful reproduction of old bolex stuff... just trying to decide how much I actually like that look, and how much is simply nostalgia. The specs look like a sweet spot for me, and the price is not much over reasonable. 

When they initially promised under $3k, I thought it was a fair price. Now, at $3500ish... it's still fair I think, but will need stellar reviews and confirmation there aren't serious bugs to work out before I consider pulling the trigger. Been following their progress though, and looking forward to user sample clips. 

Have to say, it just felt right in my hand for the 15mins I messed with it. They told me they were working on a follow focus to be built-in at the place where the film crank was. Doesn't look like that happened though.

I'm surprised I haven't seen any forum chatter about the Digital Bolex D16 cameras. It's more pricey than what I want at the moment, but I did hold a prototype at SXSW2013 and was VERY intrigued. Felt good in the hand, good weight, and I personally think 2k is plenty res. Also liked what appeared to be a more modular approach to the camera. 

Anyway, I just noticed that they're shipping to the original Kickstarter backers now and they're taking pre-orders for the next 500 after Dec 16th. http://www.digitalbolex.com

I wish them the best, but they are awfully late to the party. I'd love to try one though.

I wish them the best, but they are awfully late to the party. I'd love to try one though.

I was thinking the same thing... and almost abandoned even following their progress. However, their dedication to pure aesthetics beyond the pixel peeping obsessions you find on many forums... along with what seemed to be a fairly modular build, ie. could be easily updated without having to buy a whole new camera... make me think they might be worth keeping an eye on. 

what are the other options for global shutter and raw in this price range?

bmpcc is lovely but the rolling shutter is pretty bad. Bmpc4k will come out who knows when and will be a pain in the arse to use like all their cameras.

For my uses, I would take 2k raw, global shutter, xlr, ssd etc over the compressed 4k we are going to see being released next from the usual suspects.

I'm hopeful about the d16!

D16 + micro 4/3.. that would be the thing.

Speed booster to it and voila. In the age of these big companies with their unfair and greedy practises we need to support the allternatives even harder.

Consider that when we manage to keep the alternative players alive.. What can or could they bring to us when they are no longer economically so constrained. The second or third product.

I think the D16 is the most interesting digital video camera at the moment, hands down. If I had the 3.5k Obama Dollah worth of dough burning a hole in my pocket, I'd order one straight away. Provided I could actually do that, even if I had the dough.

Although I'm not at all excited about the cutesy retro design. I wish they had just made a modern, function over form version with only some very subtle references to the old Bolex of yesteryear.  But since the guts of the thing are so interesting, I think I'd tolerate the somewhat silly look.

I'd also wish they used a larger sensor, but suppose super 16 will be fine, too.

But the biggest bummer for the time being is availability, along with the pricing. The fact that I don't have the dough to buy one now doesn't really even matter, because so far, the D16 is a North American camera only. Hopefully they'll offer a model for the rest of the world, too, soon enough. But I fear that may not happen too soon, with their limited logistics and resources, but we'll see. Hopefully the first batch of D16's will sell well enough on the other side of the pond, because that would certainly help. Meanwhile, suppose I should start saving my cents to afford one when one is available here.

As for the lack of chatter so far, I also think it's simply because a) it's not even out yet, bee) it's not available outside the US(Canada, and c) the thing is pricey for the mere mortals (enthusiasts/hobbyists), who most of the readers here are. But whenever a production model hits the blogosphere and into the hands of Andrew and the likes, there will be some more chatter for sure.

Edit: dang, for some reason b with a bracket turns into a cheesy grin. b)

• 5 weeks later...