Anamorphic sample footage shot with the SLR Magic Anamorphot - and which lenses does it work best with?

Andrew Reid

The flare in this video is because of the multi-element LED.  The Panny would flare in the same way in this circumstance.

The aesthetics of a lens flare are from at least five contributing factors: anamorphic design, anamorphic coating, taking lens design, taking lens coating and then the light source itself.  No lens design in the world, or combination of lenses plus coatings could turn this LED light into a single, pretty flare.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

What´s is the difference between this and AG LA 7200? 

LA7200 creates perfectly horizontal flares, but beauty of anamorphic look is not just about flares :)

and in my horrible oppinion - any decent projection lens looks better than Panasonic, Letus, SLR Magic and Century adapters all together :)

Yes, the beauty of anamorphic isn't just about flares, though the LA7200 flares will likewise be influenced by both the type of light source being photographed as well as the taking lens, same as all adapters. 

Watch any anamorphic feature length motion picture, which is the ultimate reason for this enthusiasm and why all this bent glass exists, and you will see shot after shot that are impossible with any projection lens(*), decent, excellent or trash.  Waxing poetic about the sublime beauty of a single shot, the bloke who designed the glass or some historical bit of trivia might be all some folks are interested in.  Other people need solutions that are actually functional and useful.

(*) unless you're one of those two, three maybe four fellows now that have designed little, laggy robots to slowly spin two lenses at once at pre-calibrated ratios that may or may not allow lens swaps + re-calibration shorter than a crew's meal break.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • Administrators

Hi Andrew, does the anamorphot work on the canon 35 1.4? I assume it would from 2.8 up.

Thanks in advance.

P.S It definitely doesn't work with the Zeiss 25 Distagon 2/25 though!

Depends on what sensor. On FS100 it worked well on my Canon 35mm F2.0 IS.

Full frame a different story.

Pentax 45mm F2.8 pancake (PK mount)... 

I notice a Pentax 40mm for purchase online... but there is no information available concerning a Pentax 45mm listed in the article.

Is this a typo or am I overlooking another rare Andrew-find :D ?

BTW, your blog is such a wonderful guide! Thanks.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1002136-REG/pentax_21390_hd_pentax_da_40mm.html

Any information regarding the stepping ring used would be appreciated... I enjoy your reasoning and I would imagine you have a specific purpose in using the stepper pictured.

It works at f/1.4 on my Nikkor 35mm (GH2).  They're being cautious with recommendations since performance is very taking-lens sensitive.

I believe this comment to be true... seems like a thread that addresses lens compatibility might be helpful (similar to the BMPC lens compatibility thread). 

I believe this comment to be true... seems like a thread that addresses lens compatibility might be helpful (similar to the BMPC lens compatibility thread). 

More than once I saw a list that, I think, Andrew Chan posted with maximum aperture results on various lenses, as reported by testers and early adopters.  For the life of me I haven't been able to remember where I saw it, in a post or in e-mail and my searching through e-mail has turned up nothing.

I know I saw at least one or two lens offering sub f/2 performance.  That's more important to non-boosted MFT and BMD (or other S16 size) cameras since, if you're trying to match cine stops, you need to factor in your iris as well as FOV conversions.  Going between the GH2 and anamorphic 35mm is a factor of 1.64 based on the differential between sensor and negative.  So matching an f/2.8 on film (think the opening shot for Boogie Nights) needs an f/1.7 on the GH2. 

988827_10153999805240183_400919939_n.jpg

That's Nikkor 35mm f/1.4 @ f/1.4-2.0 split and the +1.33 so that I could focus as close as I was.  Without the achromat I could still get workable focus at this stop from further away but it also firms up the bokeh.

• 3 weeks later...

This is what Andrew Chan posted on EOSHD:

The SLR Magic Anamorphot works well with the SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II but it does not necessary work well with any taking lens. It is more likely for the SLR Magic Anamorphot to work with prime lenses with a front element diameter smaller than 50mm (not filter thread diameter). If the front element is larger than 50mm you either need to stop down or it may not even work at all. The lens is also more likely to be compatible with prime lenses.

So far this is what we know that works from user feedback:

Blackmagic Pocket MFT camera only

SLR Magic 17mm f/1.6 @2.8

Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8 @2.8

MFT cameras

Panasonic 20mm f/1.7 @1.7

Voightlander 25mm f/0.95 @0.95

SLR Magic 35mm T1.4 CINE II @2.8

Canon EF STM f/2.8 @2.8

Contax 45mm f/2.8 @2.8

Zeiss 50mm f/1.4 @2.8

Contax 60mm f/2.8 @4.0

Leica Summicron-R 90mm f/2 @5.6

Contax 100mm f/2 @5.6

Prakticar 135mm f/2.8 @5.6

'?do=embed' frameborder='0' data-embedContent>>

We should make a comprehensive list for all lenses compatible with the Anamorphot.  Here are a few of mine:

Panasonic 14-45mm F3.5-F5.6 @ F4.0

Panasonic 12-35mm F2.8 X @ F2.8

Panasonic Leica 25mm DG F1.4 @ F2.0/F2.8

Canon 40mm F2.8 STM Pancake F2.8 @ F2.8

Canon 50mm F1.8 @ F2.8

Canon 100mm Macro (non-IS) F2.8 @ F5.6

Contax Zeiss 50mm F1.4 @ F5.6 (for me, different from other people)

Contax Zeiss 85mm F1.4 @ F5.6/F8

Contax Zeiss 135mm F2.8 @ F8

Helios 44-2 58mm F2 @ F4/F5.6

Jupiter 9 85mm F2 @ F8

Nikon 50mm E AI F1.8 @ F2.8

SLR Magic 35mm CINE II (MFT only) F1.4 @ F2/2.8

35mm would be a general expectation but it's going to depend on the particular camera and the particular lens.  For instance, the 20mm LUMIX is rated as compatible for MFT but may or may not work with the GH2, I don't have any specific references to this combo being tested on hand, but I know using the LUMIX 14-42mm zoom I couldn't be wider than 24/25mm without vignette.  The 1mm difference between the GH2 and GH3 is magnified once you throw a Speedbooster into the equation.  

The MFT mount covers a variety of sensor sizes (as does APS-C).  Some of them + Speedbooster end up being almost Super35 size while the GH2 + Speedbooster is effectively bigger than Super35.  As you increase sensor size and are forced to compensate with longer focal lengths you're still gaining field of view.  It becomes, more or less, a wash.  24mm + GH2 + Anamorphot is roughly equivalent to 40mm if you were shooting anamorphic film and so is 35mm + Speedbooster + GH2 + Anamorphot.  

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/af-s-nikkor-35mm-f-1-8g-ed-prime-lens-for-select-nikon-dslr-cameras/4167015.p?id=1219096896333&skuId=4167015&st=nikon 35mm&cp=1&lp=3

I'm worried that I might have made a mistake in purchasing the lens linked above. I hope not.

SLR adapter should arrive this week, so I will know more when both the adapter and lens arrive. 

I understand that I will be able to control aperture with the speed booster, so that is encouraging. 

Panasonic billed me two weeks ago, but still no camera yet. 

Do any of you think I should "step back and punt" by sending this lens back and purchasing an older prime?

PS. When it comes to pancake lenses, the specs on the lens below sure has me thinking (it's very thin)!

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/800885942-USE/Nikon_1430_Standard_45mm_f_2_8_P.html?gclid=CNSqsLrdgL4CFYt9Ogod_y4AqQ