Anamorphic sample footage shot with the SLR Magic Anamorphot - and which lenses does it work best with?

Andrew Reid

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Hello Andrew

Sorry for being off topic, but I wanted to ask about the Mitakon Lens Turbo Reducer, it's the cheaper clone of the metabones, and wanted to know if it's a reasonable product or really inferior to the metabones option.

thanks

Not tried it but feel free to start a separate topic for this!

• Administrators

Did you try it with the Sigma 18-35 on the original speed booster? When does it start vignetting?

It doesn't vignette on the Pocket with original Speed Booster. Good all the way.

On 1.86x crop GH2 which turns into something slightly larger than the APS-C sensor the Sigma was intended for you do get some slightly dark corners at 18mm.

What´s is the difference between this and AG LA 7200? I think are very similar in Quality, AG i think you can go a little more wider, but SLR attach more easy diopters in front and are more small, and have focus sistem... But in quality, for the videos i saw, are very similar i think...can you make a Versus?? :D

Hi, 

Thanks for the demo. I have a question, @ 1:29 it looks like the bokeh is stretched horizontally instead of vertically (street lights outside the window). Is this just my imagination? I thought that OOF areas are supposed to be stretched vertically? Do you have any more screenshots/examples of this for the Anamorphot?

Regards,

D

It doesn't vignette on the Pocket with original Speed Booster. Good all the way.

On 1.86x crop GH2 which turns into something slightly larger than the APS-C sensor the Sigma was intended for you do get some slightly dark corners at 18mm.

So I am guessing that the 2.0x crop on the GH3 means that the 18-35 + Speedbooster + SLR Magic Anamorphot should work fine?  That's the combo I have my eye on.

• Administrators

If you have the near / far focus out of whack with the prime lens focus distance your oval bokeh will turn on its side. So maybe a mistake on my part of it appears so in the video. I'll check it out.

Here's a better example of the stretched bokeh of this lens...

slrmagic-ovals.jpg

I shot shot it now.

• Administrators

So I am guessing that the 2.0x crop on the GH3 means that the 18-35 + Speedbooster + SLR Magic Anamorphot should work fine?  That's the combo I have my eye on.

The Sigma at 18mm itself on the MFT SB doesn't vignette on the GH3, I have tried. But you can't expect an SLR Magic or Iscorama anamorphic to cover the wide end. You can use it fine at the 35mm end without vignetting.

If you have the near / far focus out of whack with the prime lens focus distance your oval bokeh will turn on its side. So maybe a mistake on my part of it appears so in the video. I'll check it out.

Here's a better example of the stretched bokeh of this lens...

slrmagic-ovals.jpg

I shot shot it now.

Hmm interesting, thanks for clarifying that. Also, Andrew from SLR magic in some interview mentioned that you get more a of a stretched bokeh effect if you use diopters rather than the near/far mechanism on the lens. Do you know anything about that?

Regards,

D

• Administrators

Sorry.. getting lost in the details a bit here...  will this work with the Canon 50mm 1.2 on a mk3?  

I haven't tried this lens but it may well work. Ideally though you should be keeping it mated to a lens with a smaller rear element than 50mm, to match the 50mm rear of the anamorphic. Such large glass as F1.2 - i.e the Canon 50 and 85 L lenses, are HUGE! It certainly won't be sharp at F1.2. At F2.8 you should get outstanding performance but like I say I haven't tested the 50mm.

I have tried it on the Olympus OM 55mm F1.2 and it does play well stopped down to 2.8, whereas the Iscorama vignettes a bit.

• Administrators

Hmm interesting, thanks for clarifying that. Also, Andrew from SLR magic in some interview mentioned that you get more a of a stretched bokeh effect if you use diopters rather than the near/far mechanism on the lens. Do you know anything about that?

Regards,

D

I'll know more soon about this, when the SLR Magic diopters arrive at EOSHD HQ. Andrew has had my Tokina as a reference and guinea pig!

What´s is the difference between this and AG LA 7200? I think are very similar in Quality, AG i think you can go a little more wider, but SLR attach more easy diopters in front and are more small, and have focus sistem... But in quality, for the videos i saw, are very similar i think...can you make a Versus?? :D

There's no comparison.  I own the LA7200 and it smears so badly at the left and right edges.  The SLR is sharp all the way across the frame.  That alone is reason to get one.  Also you can just screw on diopters is just awesome.  I've dropped so many diopters from my LA7200 with all the crazy taping/rigging I can't tell you...

• Administrators

There's no comparison.  I own the LA7200 and it smears so badly at the left and right edges.

I still have my LA7200 and yes it is soft at the edges. I'll do a comparison vs the SLR Magic as I know a lot of LA7200 users are thinking of making the switch. If you move quick enough you might actually save money as the eBay price for the LA7200 has been hyper inflated for a while now. Can't see it staying up there above $1000 for much longer.

Uf, Terrible flares.

I would rather not to have ...

Have you added grain, haven't you?

I think the only advantage the Pany has is more beautiful flare but that is just a matter of taste... overall the SLR seem so much better!

I thought the grain is from ISO?