Anamorphic sample footage shot with the SLR Magic Anamorphot - and which lenses does it work best with?

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

(The anamorphic footage starts around 10 seconds in)

The new SLR Magic Anamorphot jointly developed with the help of EOSHD is still in my studio and I've shot the above video with it. This should give you an idea of how the flare moves around during a shot and the general anamorphic aesthetic you are able to get with the adapter.

Also part of the fun of the adapter is that like the Iscorama it sings with certain lenses, which all have a different look. I've been trying it out with a bunch of them...

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Administrators

Check out third image down, Iscorama flare bends too according to the distortion. http://www.eoshd.com/content/9570/shooting-gorilla-style-in-berlin-with-iscorama-54-and-blackmagic-cinema-camera

I suspect with the Schneider you're not shooting at a very wide angle so the distortion isn't as noticeable, say at 85mm.

With the Anamorphot 50 you can go to a genuinely wide field of view.

If you check the shot from Tarantino's Inglourious Basterds too on that page you will see the barrel distortion produced by a $50k Hollywood anamorphic at wide angle :)

The Schneider takes a 35mm lens I'm using a Zeiss Flektogon , no bendy flare,..

its not that much of an issue - Im just pointing it out to see whats causing it

just Im not too keen on droopy flares it looks a bit odd.

you have shot a very nice video it looks cool

• Administrators

Maybe the 2x crop sensor is cutting the edges of the flare off so you don't see it bend?

I know what you mean though… I think on some lenses the flare does have a little bit of barrel distortion but you can reduce it with a longer focal length or a crop sensor. I was shooting at 35mm on Super 35. On the SLR Magic it's definitely no more bendy than the Iscorama's flare or LOMO, and I love that.

This looks great. If you wanted to correct for the bent flare slightly on a wide angle shot here or there, it wouldn't be too difficult to do in After Effects without much resolution loss.

When you use the Nikon-mount Sigma 18-35 on your BMPCC without the speed booster, how are you controlling the aperture?

• Administrators

When you use the Nikon-mount Sigma 18-35 on your BMPCC without the speed booster, how are you controlling the aperture?

With a Nikon G adapter. The aperture is controlled via a mechanical lever on the back of the Nikon mount version. On the Canon version it's entirely electronic.

I have to agree about the flares, I like some of them, but not keen on the multiple blue ones myself. not the lens's best feature. I have been looking forward to this lens for a long while.. throughout all of the discussions at Personal-view and the outcome.. Well I find it a little disappointing, I like the footage but it seems rather tame, the squeeze/stretch feels too slight, I really wish they'd pushed it further, the footage that I've seen from this lens looks similar to a lot of cropped stuff out there.. I have the 12mm (version 2 without focus gear but with the black not yellow nameplate, non fat version) and 35mm (version 2 I think with the new design but before they fixed the repeat focus thing)  and they are two of my favourite lenses, so it's not like I wasn't wishing this was a doozy.. I know these are incredibly tricky beasts to make.. otherwise they would be more common, and maybe I'll grow to like the look, cause I bet these will be popular.

But I don't think this will put an end to the second hand market.

• Administrators

I have been looking forward to this lens for a long while.. throughout all of the discussions at Personal-view and the outcome.. Well I find it a little disappointing, I like the footage but it seems rather tame, the squeeze/stretch feels too slight.

Maybe because you've been following in the wrong place :)

The multiple flares are because there's multiple light sources in one LED panel. If you flare it with a single light source you get nicer flare.

Similar thing happens with an Iscorama and nobody complains!

I do agree there's a difference between the dramatic 2x stretch lenses and this, but SLR Magic wanted to keep the aspect ratio to 2.39:1 from 16:9 which is a Cinemascope standard. 3.55:1 isn't.

Again 1.3x is pretty close to 1.5x but nobody complains about an Iscorama's image.

Personally I like it. If you look at the check list of features and get factual about it...

My footage looks nicer than the Letus stuff I've seen so far.

It has the uncanny anamorphic out of focus areas both foreground and background.

It has the stretched ovals bokeh and it has flare very similar to a cinema Panavision (which also always flares blue).

It is bloody sharp edge to edge and has the ease of focus as the Iscorama, which is rare on an anamorphic for this price.

It has soundly beaten the LA7200 and that was capable of some pretty nice results to begin with.

It's exceptionally small and light.

The price… it compares VERY favourably to the other practical single focus options out there.

The minimum focus distance is half of an Iscorama and more like a LOMO cine lens.

Facts are facts. I just feel SLR Magic have some years to go before people can get over the brand not being Leica and the lenses not being made in West Germany.

i was gonna say..  the multiple flares are definitely caused by the multi led spots.  this aint gonna replace my century 3 element and iscorama, but I have to say they nailed the flare colour bang on.  I'd love an iscorama that flared in this colour and with such prominence.  Very 'Die Hard'.  

Please please please put a 1.5x oval in your FF58 and show us the results of this anamorphic with some ovals!

Personally I like it. If you look at the check list of features and get factual about it...

My footage looks nicer than the Letus stuff I've seen so far.

It has the uncanny anamorphic out of focus areas both foreground and background.

It has the stretched ovals bokeh and it has flare very similar to a cinema Panavision (which also always flares blue).

It is bloody sharp edge to edge and has the ease of focus as the Iscorama, which is rare on an anamorphic for this price.

It has soundly beaten the LA7200 and that was capable of some pretty nice results to begin with.

It's exceptionally small and light.

The price… it compares VERY favourably to the other practical single focus options out there.

The minimum focus distance is half of an Iscorama and more like a LOMO cine lens.

AMEN

Looks very good! Is it the gear or the talent? The SLR will for sure do the job for those looking for a modern, affordable and easy to use anamorphic solution. With that you can achieve low-budget anamorphic still looking expensive. Anamorphic shooting will loose its exclusiveness (if there is still any?). 

Strangely for me the flares of anamorhpics become more and more a downside and distracting. Also a downside of these easy-to-use solutions: They don't offer the fun of tinkering. It is amazing to see for example how Seb Farges is experimenting with the Baby Hypergonar!

He really gets the best out of it now! Try this lens and that... which mounting solution? I also like this: It is like a hobby. I sold the old cars and now I just have my old cameras left...

PS Is the fine grain from ISO?