Which video editing software?

GM5

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

IMO, Premiere is the easiest to learn and very powerful. But performance wise, I think it is not as good as the others. I may be wrong though. 

Resolve used to be purely for color grading. However, the editing functionality is very good now. And it is cheap! Even the paid version is not that expensive. I am currently learning FCPX because I don't want to pay Adobe anymore. It is very fast on Mac OS, so I think it will be a good choice for you as well. 

AVID seems to be the most professional one. I have not had any experience with the video editing software of the company. I have only used its audio workstation software, Pro tools, which is amazing. I believe it is also considered the industry standard. 

Does your current job use adobe CC suite for photo processing/editing?

If so, I'd recommend learning premiere.

Honestly though, as a beginning editor, just learn any of the major programs and start doing some work.

At a certain point you'll get some basics and learn how to make the editor do what you want it to do.

At that point, you can transfer your knowledge to other editing programs as needed.

Hot key shortcuts and processes can be different between the different programs, but learning how to edit on any of them will give you a huge leg up if you want/need to learn another program in the future.

3 hours ago, aaa123jc said:

Premiere is the easiest to learn

I‘d bet this is not true if your completely new to video editing. If starting from scratch, you’ll learn faster in fcpx than in pp in my opinion. Its easier but very powerfull too.

now if you want to get hired as an editor premiere is probably a must - and that i find very sad. 
Not many things can cause passionate hate. but for me premiere can.

7 hours ago, Michi said:

I‘d bet this is not true if your completely new to video editing. If starting from scratch, you’ll learn faster in fcpx than in pp in my opinion. Its easier but very powerfull too.

now if you want to get hired as an editor premiere is probably a must - and that i find very sad. 
Not many things can cause passionate hate. but for me premiere can.

I suppose I was wrong. I learned video editing with Premiere, so I actually think it is great for learning because it has great functionality and really intuitive interface. 

But the performance and the lack of improvement, as well as the paid monthly model killed it for me. Once I switched to Capture One from Lightroom, there is no reason I keep paying them anymore. 

59 minutes ago, aaa123jc said:

Once I switched to Capture One from Lightroom, there is no reason I keep paying them anymore. 

That‘s what I did too. Capture One instead of Lightroom and all the Affinity apps instead of Photoshop and Indesign. Works great. And one day I‘ll take the time to learn Fusion...

There are good alternatives to Adobe, most of them cheaper. And yet, if one wants to be hired as a freelance editor here in continental Europe it‘s probably impossible to avoid the CC suite as it‘s sadly still the most used...

24 minutes ago, Michi said:

That‘s what I did too. Capture One instead of Lightroom and all the Affinity apps instead of Photoshop and Indesign. Works great. And one day I‘ll take the time to learn Fusion...

There are good alternatives to Adobe, most of them cheaper. And yet, if one wants to be hired as a freelance editor here in continental Europe it‘s probably impossible to avoid the CC suite as it‘s sadly still the most used...

Yeah. Adobe still has the most market share. Here in Hong Kong, very few actually knows any video editing software other than Premiere. There are so many complaints but not many people actually switch to other software. I guess once you invested so much in a software and its workflow, it is hard to switch.

• 1 year later...