How to shoot around the 5D Mark III's limitations

Andrew Reid

• Administrators
[html]

[img]http://www.eoshd.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/P1030136.jpg[/img]

[url="http://gizmodo.com/5896434/can-the-900-panasonic-gh2-produce-better-video-than-the-3500-canon-5d-mark-iii"]Check out Gizmodo’s take on my GH2 / 5D Mark III comparison video[/url]

Here’s a quick guide to the things I’ve found useful with my 5D Mark III video shoots so far.

[url="http://www.eoshd.com/content/7645/how-to-shoot-around-the-5d-mark-iiis-limitations/"]Read full article[/url]

[/html]

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
Hi  thanks for  your tips, just back from exotic vacation in asia and shot with canon 60D and steadicam in some very low  light clubs.

As you can download my original footage its  seems that color, low light performance are good when using Technicolor CineStyle  and very fast lences. (test it  in nightclubs). my HD-1000 add a new dimension so resolution is  not that critical. The only thing i wise is a lower camera/lences/steadicam weight.  Running after elephant in a jungle with all this gear can be challenging.

[url=http://vimeo.com/39252289]Adventures In Asia[/url]

Your blog is  the Internet best  video gear site,with balancing conclusion.
Thanks for your hard work.

Max

I would have to agree with a portion of what Gizmodo says. IMO, Canon does have a better aesthetic at least for my purposes. The Canon color palette is much nicer, especially on the skin tones which is huge for me. Plus the GH2 2x crop is a pretty big draw back, at least for me, since I've been shooting 8mm fish eye stuff lately for music videos. Even on an APS-C, the 8mm FOV is a huge difference than the Micro 4 3rd.

With that said, for $3500, there should be NO article that is titled: "How to shoot around the 5D Mark III's limitations." It should just be ready to go, not with some soft image.

I'm sure the 4K C-DLSR will be pretty good, but it will cost at least 2x as much as the 5D3. I am going to PASS on the 5D3 and hopefully some news will come at NAB. The 4K camer needs to come soon, or else the exodus will continue to Sony FS 100.

Think of how many people Canon has lost to Sony just because they lag so hard. Such a shame.

Wow, didn't know you used 32-40mb for your video encodes.  I use Media Encoder also, but have only been setting my encodes at 6-9mb, 2 pass vbr...  Guess maybe I'm losing quality?  That is the range they have seemed to suggest uploading though..  I know at times I've thought Vimeo to be soft and mushy compared to my original, so perhaps that's it.

I have been using 6-9mb, 2 pass vbr. I have maximum render depth checked and also have maximum render quality checked.  Not sure if those should be or if they just take extra time for no reason?

So, would you recommend I guess switching to 32-40, vbr 1pass?  Should I have the maximum render depth and maximum render quality boxes checked?

Seems this will come out much larger in file size I suppose and be longer to upload.  If the quality is much improved that would be okay though.  I wonder how using 2 pass vbr changes this and seems that would allow for better quality at a lower mb target.  I guess 32-40mb is so high that a 2nd pass isn't probably needed.

[quote author=TimeZone link=topic=474.msg3086#msg3086 date=1332883820]
Wow, didn't know you used 32-40mb for your video encodes.  I use Media Encoder also, but have only been setting my encodes at 6-9mb, 2 pass vbr...  Guess maybe I'm losing quality?  That is the range they have seemed to suggest uploading though..  I know at times I've thought Vimeo to be soft and mushy compared to my original, so perhaps that's it.

I have been using 6-9mb, 2 pass vbr. I have maximum render depth checked and also have maximum render quality checked.  Not sure if those should be or if they just take extra time for no reason?

So, would you recommend I guess switching to 32-40, vbr 1pass?  Should I have the maximum render depth and maximum render quality boxes checked?

Seems this will come out much larger in file size I suppose and be longer to upload.  If the quality is much improved that would be okay though.  I wonder how using 2 pass vbr changes this and seems that would allow for better quality at a lower mb target.  I guess 32-40mb is so high that a 2nd pass isn't probably needed.
[/quote]

Good question!
I'd like to know this as well.