Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

21 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

If somebody has a windows machine with a Nvidia 2070 or 2080 would be cool to see if Resolve Studio version can HW decode these 10bit h265 files

I have resolve studio, and access to a 1080 and a 2070. If you send me a file and instructions on what to look for I can run tests.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

I have resolve studio, and access to a 1080 and a 2070. If you send me a file and instructions on what to look for I can run tests.

Super, I have sent you a PM with the link please report back here if it works or not. Thx!!

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

@gt3rs I use Resolve and I have an Nvidia 2080 Ti if you want me to try. But I can decode the 10bit h265 files of the S1H without any major problem. Just tell me if you want me to try.

I have sent you a PM,  as posted in previous posts I believe only the new 20xx can HW decode h265 10bit > 4:2:0. If you can decode in real-time 10bit 4:2:2 S1H file you should be able to do the same with the 1Dx III as the specification should be the same 10bit 4:2:2 h265....

@gt3rs I opened the HEVC test file in Resolve 16.2 studio on a laptop with an i7 9750H and a 2070.

With Intel QuickSync turned on, the video file showed up as offline media and could not be played.

With QuickSync turned off, I could play the file. I placed it on a 25 fps DCI 4K timeline and played it back. It stuttered at 10 fps, using 100% of my CPU and 1% of my GPU, likely using software decoding.

How does that compare with your results, @Trankilstef? I heard you got smooth playback somehow. Do you know if it was using hardware decoding, and if so, on your cpu or gpu?

got the 1dx III - Shot a few projects with it. It's very nice.

Highlight rolloff is my favorite part. 10bit ipb 60fps won't playback on a 10 core iMac pro. same for all-i 24fps. that part sucks. 

Here's a trailer from the wedding with the 1dx III. I got to play with pushing exposure to more of a light and bright look, which matched the planners style - this was clog and IPB recording. 

11 hours ago, KnightsFan said:

How does that compare with your results, @Trankilstef? I heard you got smooth playback somehow. Do you know if it was using hardware decoding, and if so, on your cpu or gpu?

I have my gpu processing mode turned auto, hardware decoding on my GPU. Strange thing is I don't find anywhere the settings to turn QuickSync on or off. My processor support it but I don't find the setting.

7 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

got the 1dx III - Shot a few projects with it. It's very nice.

Highlight rolloff is my favorite part. 10bit ipb 60fps won't playback on a 10 core iMac pro. same for all-i 24fps. that part sucks. 

How does the Mac Pro doesn't handle the 10bit files? I don't understand this, my computer can handle this and I don't have a MacPro ?!

1 hour ago, Trankilstef said:

I have my gpu processing mode turned auto, hardware decoding on my GPU. Strange thing is I don't find anywhere the settings to turn QuickSync on or off. My processor support it but I don't find the setting.

You need to enable the intel integrated graphic card (some PC bios do not allow it at all). But from my test 8750H and @KnightsFan test 9750H quick sync does not work for 10bit 265 4:2:2 files..... Resolve shows media offline. If we turn off we can see the playback but is choppy.

Now the question is why the 2080ti can decode realtime 10bit 265 4:2:2 but @KnightsFan 2070 cannot, seems strange.... driver version maybe? On more test that @Trankilstef could do is uncheck the NVIDIA decoder in resolve and see if there is a difference so we are sure that is the GPU decoding. Btw we use all the same 10bit file for the test.

@Matthew19  I think without specific HW decoder it is impossible even on a 10 cores to be able to decode 265 via software only. Are you using Resolve Studio too?  With a 10 cores and a good GPU it should be possible to do realtime playback of RAW..... @Trankilstef PC can playback real time RAW too

5 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

How does the Mac Pro doesn't handle the 10bit files? I don't understand this, my computer can handle this and I don't have a MacPro ?!

its an iMac pro, not a Mac Pro - but It depends on the format. 10bit IPB at 24fps is fine. 10bit IPB at 60fps stutters. 10bit All-I at 24fps stutters a lot, I can't edit it without transcoding, and this is with the footage on a fast SSD drive and in FCPX.

I can say that Canon's video software, whatever it's called, played those files back better than FCPX. I have no idea how. So maybe its an optimization problem with fcpx. 

Inspired by @Matthew19 I did try 10bit 4:2:2 h265 but IPB and on the XPS  i7 8750H it can at least play back in real-time in the media preview window and on a FHD timeline on the color tab. CPU is 100%. I did try with enabled and disabled HW decode and got the same result so is software decoded by the CPU. 
So as the 10 core Xeon CPU of the iMac Pro is almost twice as fast as the notebook class i7 8750H  cpu I see why is not problem. Also puzzled why All-I is slower that IPB....  

8 hours ago, Rinad Amir said:

I tried Raw 24p for fist time and i was blown away 😁 with the quality now i must get faster card in order fully enjoy .

FYI I have Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB and 512 GB cards and both works with RAW. Did not test 60fps RAW yet but did film quite a bit 25fps RAW with no issue.

10 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

FYI I have Sandisk Extreme Pro 256 GB and 512 GB cards and both works with RAW. Did not test 60fps RAW yet but did film quite a bit 25fps RAW with no issue.

Ah 😪 am still using 64gb that came with preorder deal i can get about 4 seconds or something before camera stops recording in 60p 5.5k raw 

Cant wait for tuesday 😁

20200326_190136.thumb.jpg.20c0d76e3b28523b89098f15f7754871.jpg

So for past couple weeks ive only fiddled with 1080p 120 and some 4k due to card speed limit and i noticed exposing Clog is not the same with S1H Vlog  i cant over expose the image so back to learning curve 

Any Canon pros here id love some pointers from you guys 

Cheers.

8 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Now the question is why the 2080ti can decode realtime 10bit 265 4:2:2 but @KnightsFan 2070 cannot, seems strange.... driver version maybe? On more test that @Trankilstef could do is uncheck the NVIDIA decoder in resolve and see if there is a difference so we are sure that is the GPU decoding. Btw we use all the same 10bit file for the test.

So i unchecked the GPU decoding for H265 and it seems to play a little bit faster the RAW file. Both checked and unchecked it runs smoothly, but it takes a couple seconds with the GPU decoding (for h265, strange that it affects the way it runs the RAW file too). The h265 file runs flawlessly in each scenario.

1 hour ago, KnightsFan said:

@Trankilstef are you on mac or windows? what is your gpu and cpu usage like when playing back? Also is your timeline 4k or 2k?

I have a 4K DCI timeline. When running continuously the RAW file, my cpu is around 45% and gpu around 35%.

2 minutes ago, Trankilstef said:

So i unchecked the GPU decoding for H265 and it seems to play a little bit faster the RAW file. Both checked and unchecked it runs smoothly, but it takes a couple seconds with the GPU decoding (for h265, strange that it affects the way it runs the RAW file too). The h265 file runs flawlessly in each scenario.

I have a 4K DCI timeline. When running continuously the RAW file, my cpu is around 45% and gpu around 35%.

Just to be sure did you restart Resolve after checking and unchecking as the setting needs a restart?

2 hours ago, Trankilstef said:

What about with HEVC? I'm curious to know whether HEVC is decoding on your GPU or CPU.

Edit: Though if HEVC runs flawlessly whether or not GPU decoding is checked, then it's likely just decoding on your CPU.