Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
14 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Davinci Resolve 16.2 apparently now supports 1Dx III

Tomorrow I will give it a try

Very good news Davinci Resolve 16.2 fully support the 1Dx III RAW format, all settings in the Camera RAW are available. So workflow for me it will be super easy, no time in transcoding through other programs etc.. Really impressed by how quick Blackmagic implemented it! 
Btw I have the studio (paid) version of Resolve so not sure it works on the free but also the free is limited to 4k timeline too so I think the one time 300$ are well invested.

Untitled.jpg

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Very good news Davinci Resolve 16.2 fully support the 1Dx III RAW format, all settings in the Camera RAW are available. So workflow for me it will be super easy, no time in transcoding through other programs etc.. Really impressed by how quick Blackmagic implemented it! 
Btw I have the studio (paid) version of Resolve so not sure it works on the free but also the free is limited to 4k timeline too so I think the one time 300$ are well invested.

Untitled.jpg

That's cool that it has its own raw tab with proper raw adjustments.

@mercer standard resolve RAW settings tab. 

@gt3rs should work on the free version (I can import and get access to the same RAW tab settings on C200 files using free version).

it is great it is already compatible although makes you wonder perhaps 1DX3 CRM file is similar structure if not identical to C200 CRM files.

2 hours ago, Django said:

@mercer standard resolve RAW settings tab. 

@gt3rs should work on the free version (I can import and get access to the same RAW tab settings on C200 files using free version).

it is great it is already compatible although makes you wonder perhaps 1DX3 CRM file is similar structure if not identical to C200 CRM files.

Not identical as I tried 16.1 and did not display any image at all and 16.1.6 the camera tab was causing all sort of issues. But probably minor changes only.

This was one of my biggest concern, happy that is already solved.

Got the 1Dx III yesterday and I did play around a bit here some first observations:

The good:

Camera is really fast in everything, scrolling to images, menu etc.. is faster than the 1Dx II

20 fps silent shooting is really good and there is no slideshow effect is more like looking at video at 20fps.

Normal OVF seems to be improved and with the people/face priority seems to do a good job, test with 50mm at 1.2 in af-servo with my kid and was quite impressive. In LV with eye tracking is almost perfect.

The new AF touch joystick seem useful, need to get used a bit more but is already working out well for me.

FF 5.5k and 4k the image quality is really good.  4k crop it is similar to the 1Dx II but with the benefit of 10bit and log. 120fps FHD seems the same as the 1Dx II but would need to test more (also here benefits is 10bit log and also EIS works at 120fps too)

Video AF is a big improvements over the 1Dx II, face / eye tracking works really well. Also tracking objects seems better than the 1Dx II. For manual AF peeking and the arrows are quite useful.

EIS work surprisingly well at least from my first test especially up to 50mm, above is not that effective (at 200mm is not that great) but this is known. With a 24 1.4 seems gopro 7 style stabilization that is quite cool but need to test it out more.

All files types are now natively supported in Resolve so CRM, 10bit h265 and 8bit h264.

The not so good:

You can record RAW on one card and 4k proxy on another but you cannot record a 4k on both card at the same time. I knew it before but just doublechecked.

The video format menu is a mess, would be cool to be able to disable modes that I never use like all the HD ones and the IPB ones.

With the USB-C cable you can mount the camera as storage but strangely enough you can copy any file but not the CRM, you need to open the canon tool to copy. Of course with the card reader it works for all files.

Still no histogram while recording video, also no zoom in while recording.

On my machine with Resolve (Nvidia 1070) the h265 10 bit files are not HW decoded so they are very slow much slower that the RAW. H264 are fine. Apparently 1070 can only do h265 4:2:0 10bit HW decoding. 2070 can do also 4:4:4 but could not find if it can do 4:2:2.

As the LV AF is so good they could have offered an EVF as addon a la M6 so you can have both OVF and EVF.

Tomorrow I will have my first ice hockey match with it so I can test the AF for photo, I will try a bit with OVF and a bit in LV, maybe if I have time I will try to record some video too.

15 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Got the 1Dx III yesterday and I did play around a bit here some first observations:

The good:

Camera is really fast in everything, scrolling to images, menu etc.. is faster than the 1Dx II

20 fps silent shooting is really good and there is no slideshow effect is more like looking at video at 20fps.

Normal OVF seems to be improved and with the people/face priority seems to do a good job, test with 50mm at 1.2 in af-servo with my kid and was quite impressive. In LV with eye tracking is almost perfect.

The new AF touch joystick seem useful, need to get used a bit more but is already working out well for me.

FF 5.5k and 4k the image quality is really good.  4k crop it is similar to the 1Dx II but with the benefit of 10bit and log. 120fps FHD seems the same as the 1Dx II but would need to test more (also here benefits is 10bit log and also EIS works at 120fps too)

Video AF is a big improvements over the 1Dx II, face / eye tracking works really well. Also tracking objects seems better than the 1Dx II. For manual AF peeking and the arrows are quite useful.

EIS work surprisingly well at least from my first test especially up to 50mm, above is not that effective (at 200mm is not that great) but this is known. With a 24 1.4 seems gopro 7 style stabilization that is quite cool but need to test it out more.

All files types are now natively supported in Resolve so CRM, 10bit h265 and 8bit h264.

The not so good:

You can record RAW on one card and 4k proxy on another but you cannot record a 4k on both card at the same time. I knew it before but just doublechecked.

The video format menu is a mess, would be cool to be able to disable modes that I never use like all the HD ones and the IPB ones.

With the USB-C cable you can mount the camera as storage but strangely enough you can copy any file but not the CRM, you need to open the canon tool to copy. Of course with the card reader it works for all files.

Still no histogram while recording video, also no zoom in while recording.

On my machine with Resolve (Nvidia 1070) the h265 10 bit files are not HW decoded so they are very slow much slower that the RAW. H264 are fine. Apparently 1070 can only do h265 4:2:0 10bit HW decoding. 2070 can do also 4:4:4 but could not find if it can do 4:2:2.

As the LV AF is so good they could have offered an EVF as addon a la M6 so you can have both OVF and EVF.

Tomorrow I will have my first ice hockey match with it so I can test the AF for photo, I will try a bit with OVF and a bit in LV, maybe if I have time I will try to record some video too.

Do you have the ability to compare the video quality to S1H,pocket 6K/4K/ursa mini pro/Z6? Would love to see some comparison footage.

Thanks!

On 3/11/2020 at 2:44 PM, zerocool22 said:

Do you have the ability to compare the video quality to S1H,pocket 6K/4K/ursa mini pro/Z6? Would love to see some comparison footage.

Thanks!

As for my type of work (mostly sport and action) none of the mentioned camera comes in my consideration due to lack or not great AF. The Z6 would be the only one but the lack of 4k 60p and having tons of Canon lenses makes the Z6 not attractive to me neither.

43 minutes ago, heart0less said:

Here are some measurements taken with most of the contemporary cameras, so that you can have some insight. 

eg. A7S2 in FF 4K - 30.4 ms, 

GH5S - 11.9 ms

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?303559-Measuring-rolling-shutter-put-a-number-on-this-issue!

Did a super quick test and is quite visible at 4k 25fps FF and quite good at 4k 50fps FF.

So I would guess ~30ms at 25/30 fps FF and ~15 at 50/60 fps FF

Too early to review as i only got it but

My first impression is no more need to lug around atomos and that stupid cable for 4k60p and i can actually focus on my work pun intended 

Downside files are gigantic i need to order faster card to enjoy full potential of this beast. 

On 3/14/2020 at 10:07 PM, Rinad Amir said:

Too early to review as i only got it but

My first impression is no more need to lug around atomos and that stupid cable for 4k60p and i can actually focus on my work pun intended 

Downside files are gigantic i need to order faster card to enjoy full potential of this beast. 

What software do you use for editing and what machine type for the 10bit files?

16 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

What software do you use for editing and what machine type for the 10bit files?

I use Davinci Resolve on windows 10 pro

My pc spec

I7 8086k boosted to 5ghz

1080ti 11gb

2× samsung evo ssd 1tb footage × caches

1× 256 ssd windows - apps games etc

I will be honest my machine struggles to edit in 4k60p from s1h or 1DX miii ( am doing something wrong here) 

I tried to edit 5.5k raw 🤣 

I use 32inch 10bit  BenQ

Also Resolve wont read 120fps files of 1dx miii for some weird reasons and yes am running latest firmware .

37 minutes ago, Rinad Amir said:

I use Davinci Resolve on windows 10 pro

My pc spec

I7 8086k boosted to 5ghz

1080ti 11gb

2× samsung evo ssd 1tb footage × caches

1× 256 ssd windows - apps games etc

I will be honest my machine struggles to edit in 4k60p from s1h or 1DX miii ( am doing something wrong here) 

I tried to edit 5.5k raw 🤣 

I use 32inch 10bit  BenQ

Also Resolve wont read 120fps files of 1dx miii for some weird reasons and yes am running latest firmware .

5.5k RAW should work fine on your machine I get around 20fps (it shows 25 fps in the UI but it stutters) with a gaming notebook 1070 8gb and i7-7700 HQ. 

On the above notebook Resolve 16.2 I can edit 120fps FHD both 8bit and 10bit in real-time no problem, I can edit 4k DCI and UHD 8bit 25fps no issue and I'm at the limit for 50fps. 4k DCI or UHD 25 fps 10bit is a no go  (like 7-13 fps)

10xx NVidia cannot decode > 4:2:0 10bit h265 in HW..... new ones can do 10bit 4:4:4 but not sure can do 4:2:2..... https://developer.nvidia.com/video-encode-decode-gpu-support-matrix

Did test at one icehockey match, unfortunately U17 only as pro were already stopped here, here some observations:

• I did try the auto point selection AF in OVF at let the AF pick the right point and it worked well, with the 1Dx II I had to always use single AF point with surrounding. So I was impressed that you can have all AF points active. AF seems better but as U17 are slower than Pro is hard to me to compare.
  • RAW noise at iso 4000 and 8000 is probably ½ stop or 2/3 of a stop better than the 1Dx II.
  • For the third period I only shoot as a test in LV at 20fps with electronic shutter. I did handhold a 200-400 while taking picture looking at the screen on a hockey match… very silly… but surprisingly the AF worked very similar to the OVF version. So comparing both LV vs OVF in term of picture in focus I did not see much difference.
  • While using LV remember to disable automatic display of the last picture taken, because as soon as you depress the shutter it show the last picture and you need hit the shutter again to see the live feed. Once disable I found it fairly easy to follow the action but definitely not as easy as the OVF.
  • I found only 1 picture that you could see the hockey stick curved due to the rolling shutter on all the other photos I did not notice and issue.
  • If you use the electronic shutter you can only shoot either in single shoot or 20 fps, so you get tons of pictures. You can of course use LV with mechanical and there you can set whatever fps you want. I use electronic because I wanted to test the fully silent mode when I shoot things that the sound is annoying.

I  wish there was an optional EVF hotshoe mountable like the M so you could have best of both world.
If R5 will have the same LV AF performance it will be very good, I saw some test with the 1Dx III in LV with basketball that were promising but icehockey is even faster so I was really surprised how good it is.

Some random observation for video:

• 120fps HD I would say has no improvements over the 1Dx II in sharpness, the advantage here is the 10bit log and the electronic IS.
  • The LV AF has many more choices than the 1Dx II like various zones etc. so you can have small AF point or a whole vertical zone so it is easier to keep the focus on the subject. Did film some somersaults on a gymnastic mat at 120fps 24mm at 1.4 with AF at the AF was spot on.
  • 1Dx III balances well on the Ronin S as the 1Dx II (there is a silly video on YT of a guy using counterweight etc. but not needed at all). Tested with 50 1.2, 24 1.4 and 16-35 2.8
  • Did some OneWheel rail action filming with the Ronin S, 50 1.2 at 1.4 both using the people tracking and zone AF. It worked quite well in a difficult situation, if you can see the face then the people/face/eye tracking works very well but as son as you don’t see the face is more tricky. But at 1.4 I could never manual focus the same scene, I’m sure people can do it but I really can’t.
  • Did some test with the Active Tracking on the Ronin S again with the 50 at 1.4 and worked surprisingly well, but with an iphone on top of the 1Dx III you would need counter weights (I do not have any) so it works only if there is no tilt on the camera.  
  • 10bit h265 log files are a pita to work in resolve at least on my machine.
  • Did some filming handled with both 50mm and 70-200 (with IS) with the EIS on enhanced and logically it is far from gimbal stability when you walk or run but if you are moving slowly is fairly good. Did try filming a galloping horse at 200mm handheld and the result was quite usable of course not like a great fluid head.
  • I did set the new thumb joystick as AF stop and direct AF move. If I’m filming handheld I find it better than using the touch screen to change the AF point while filming, more stable. Simply press and slide and you stop AF, move the point and reengage AF. I also set the front button to toggle AF for period that I don’t want to have AF in some part of the scene.
  • To pull a photo in DPP you need to position the playhead on the right spot and mark in and out and then export the movie so you get a single TIFF file. Would be better to have a single button save picture…. I find quicker in Resolve. Ideally would be cool that in DPP you could extract a 12bit CR3 file out of the CRW file.
  • DPP plays back RAW files in realtime but a lower resolution, once you stop it switches to the full RAW. Currently is the only software that I can paly back real time.
  • DPP with the installed HVEC codec can play back 10bit LOG file but not in realtime in my machine, same speed as in Resolve. For HVEC movie you can extract a picture with a single click.

Curious too see what the R5/6 will bring and if they will do a mirrorless version of the 1Dx III sooner than later.

If somebody has a windows machine with a Nvidia 2070 or 2080 would be cool to see if Resolve Studio version can HW decode these 10bit h265 files…