Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

4 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Who would ever spend 6.5k usd for delivering 1080 can pick tons of other much cheaper cameras? 

Because you have 4K for when you need it (or you got the camera 1st for the stills performance anyway, which is a very likely scenario), but  you have plenty of scenarios when you do 1080 with it.

Just like heaps of people buy a Sony FS7 only to shoot it half the time in 1080

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

10 years ago, all the documentary films I made for TV, I shot them with a shoulder camera. The image was sharp and the bokeh invisible. At the same time, I discovered the Canon 5DmII, and I started (me and my colleagues French journalists) my first films with a cine image. Obviously it was a revolution! French TV and production companies immediately adopted Canon despite many new constraints related to DSLR. So what? The tool was incredible and the images broadcast magnificent! None of us saw fit to return to the previous tools, which were much more practical to use! Over time, we groaned against Canon, like all of you because it seemed to us that the company never listened to our remarks to improve its cameras. So, rebels, we adopted Panasonic, Sony or Fuji recently. Alas, in the end, the image was always less beautiful, the colors less real, and the editors pointed out to us that only the final result with the diffusion counted. TV editors have also lamented the Pana and Sony colors. We are in January 2020, I can certify that 95% of DSLR filming for French TV is done with the Canon 5Dm4. It is not snobbery, it is just the result of a collective reflection (Red Chef, JRI, Op Chef, Director, editor ...) which unanimously goes in the direction of Canon images. I also 100% agree with this reflection. However, I used GH2, GH3, GH4, Sony A7SII, Fuji XT3 ...

See today that Canon is putting RAW internally in a DSLR! 4K 10 bit 422 in 60P, etc etc with Canon color science is just MAGNIFICENT. Yes there are still reasons to shoot Canon on sight for quite a few reasons, yes it is still imperfect ... but 95% of French TV and Productions will be delighted to use this 1DXMIII.

18 hours ago, GregV said:

Yes there are still reasons to shoot Canon on sight for quite a few reasons, yes it is still imperfect ... but 95% of French TV and Productions will be delighted to use this 1DXMIII

Come on. I am French as well. 95% really seems far fetched. Maybe 95% of people around you. And still...

All the people I know shooting docs use a lot of different gear and many have moved on from the dslr form factor... Fs5 / fs7 / canon c*00 come to mind. 

14 hours ago, Julien416 said:

Come on. I am French as well. 95% really seems far fetched. Maybe 95% of people around you. And still...

All the people I know shooting docs use a lot of different gear and many have moved on from the dslr form factor... Fs5 / fs7 / canon c*00 come to mind. 

Agreed. I’m also based in Paris and that sounds like a total stretch.. especially the 5D4 part lol.

I don’t work with TV that much but it so happens I was just on set of a major docu TV shows here and it was shot with three C300 mkII’s. One being handheld with the 17-55mm F2.8 IS. That actually surprised me so yeah Canon is definitely still popular.

I could definitely see how a 1DX3 could be used for maybe gimbal work, B-cam as its currently the only Canon camera under 10K that can shoot broadcast 10-bit 422.

But I don’t see too many production companies dumping the C-line / FS7s for a 1DX3.

20 hours ago, Django said:

Agreed. I’m also based in Paris and that sounds like a total stretch.. especially the 5D4 part lol.

I don’t work with TV that much but it so happens I was just on set of a major docu TV shows here and it was shot with three C300 mkII’s. One being handheld with the 17-55mm F2.8 IS. That actually surprised me so yeah Canon is definitely still popular.

I could definitely see how a 1DX3 could be used for maybe gimbal work, B-cam as its currently the only Canon camera under 10K that can shoot broadcast 10-bit 422.

But I don’t see too many production companies dumping the C-line / FS7s for a 1DX3.

Please note, my English may not be very good, but I think I only wrote that 95% of DSLRs are Canon! Obviously Sony or other cameras are used. This is the whole problem of the subject we are discussing here: we are talking about a DSLR and not a filming camera. It is first of all a formidable camera. Comparing it to video cameras developed for filming makes no sense. This is why I came here to say all the good that I think of Canon DSLR compared to the competition. My FS7 does not allow me to take photos and I would never blame him! So, with the same kindness, I won't blame my 5dm4 for not being totally dedicated to video. This false debate, fueled here by narcissistic videographer geeks who have never broadcast their images beyond YouTube, seems to me to be dishonest for those who want to find real information here on video material ... So I can tell you certify that the entire French TV production chain has adopted the Canon 5dm4 as the only DSLR. For mainly visual reasons. Many of us have wanted to impose Panasonic, Sony or even Fuji DSLR recently but have failed. The video editors and broadcasters did not like the colors of these cameras.

On 1/16/2020 at 7:16 PM, Video Hummus said:

McKinnons video was not a very good demonstration of the 1D-X Mk3

I agree. If you take raw files and convert them to tiffs with no highlight recovery etc, you've lost a lot of what raw has to offer. You basically just did what the camera does internally. Though it did seem very sharp and had decent DR though. 

• Administrators

Are you sure it isn't just the good old surfing trick, a well known YouTuber ploy to make any camera look good, because it's under water somewhere spectacular and there's 10 trillion dollars worth of lenses and rigging on the front?

6 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

Are you sure it isn't just the good old surfing trick, a well known YouTuber ploy to make any camera look good, because it's under water somewhere spectacular and there's 10 trillion dollars worth of lenses and rigging on the front?

This could be true as marketing boost for sales

1 hour ago, Rinad Amir said:

This could be true as marketing boost for sales

For one that they have a good video for promo instead on the usual bad ones.....

Not sure I could say is better the 120fps quality because it is a different stage from where I use the 1Dx II.... ski, ice hockey, mtb or horse show jumping would have been better for me to compare. 
I highly doubt that they can do 120fps supersampling and seen that the C500 II has a huge crop at 120fps I tend to think that it will be about the same as the 1Dx II pixel binning 120fps quality but at least we gain log and better bitrate so maybe a tad better due to this it will be.