Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
19 hours ago, currensheldon said:

This camera is very tempting and I love Canon, though I find the EOS R a total pain to use (and the rolling shutter really is bad). Much rather use an S1H or Fuji, which are actually fun to use and hold. But, I have lots of EF glass, shoot with the C200 or C300 II quite a bit, so staying with Canon for awhile.

While the 1DX III is very tempting, I don't see myself using the raw that much because the file sizes are huuuuuuge - though full-frame 4k in 10-bit 422 is awesome. C200 4K raw is my max and even that isn't something I can use on most projects. I think the Red Komodo could be a game changer for Canon. They are going to sell a lot of EF and RF lenses because of that camera, I believe. I've almost went in on a C500 II purchase, but didn't. I've almost pre-ordered this camera, but didn't. I've almost ditched Canon completely and ported everything over to Panasonic or Fuji, but haven't. 

And the main reason is the promise of the Red Komodo and a Canon RF Cinema EOS body (NAB 2020?) and the potential that an RF mirrorless camera with 1DX III specs is very close to arriving. I hate this wait-and-see approach, but so much is changing right now in mounts and tech, that waiting another 6-months might be a good bet...

I’m right there with you. I’m holding off on any big purchases in hopes of a Komodo and a new Canon RF body. I really like what I see from the RF mount and I think that’s what I want to invest in. Both cameras mentioned would share the same mount and make things much easier for me to manage. I’d have a great video camera and hopefully a great hybrid in the Canon, tho even if the canon body is at least high res stills, its video specs don’t need to blow me away since I’d have Komodo. I would sell my Sony kit, possibly sell my Blackmagic kit (UMP, though I do love it, it’s really heavy) and I’ve already sold my S1H. The only current system that I own and would want to keep is my Fuji, small light and I love the jpegs. 

These things hold their value though... 

I was looking into the original 1dx... still in the $2K to $4K (Canadian) range and that’s used... some retailers on eBay are selling original 1dx brand new for $5K to 6K (CAD). As reference, if I were to pre-order the 1dx mark 3; it would be $8K (CAD).

So, if you are already a 1dx or 1dx mark 2 owner; and you are looking to upgrade... it’s not really $6500 (US). It’s $6500 (US) minus whatever your current gear sells for...

2 hours ago, Fairkid said:

Could be showing stills sequence shot at 20fps as per the commentary which might accentuate the warping?

No it happens in video mode as well. I saw it in another review. It’s no good at all. Gimbal work could be messy with this. I’ll see when it gets here. 

"No 1080 at 24p"

????

?‍♂️

Classic Canon at it again ?‍♂️?

2 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

No it happens in video mode as well. I saw it in another review. It’s no good at all. Gimbal work could be messy with this. I’ll see when it gets here. 

Kinda defeats the purpose of being a small camera with great AF if you can't effectively use it on a gimbal ??‍♂️?‍♂️

6 hours ago, IronFilm said:

"No 1080 at 24p"

????

?‍♂️

Classic Canon at it again ?‍♂️?

Kinda defeats the purpose of being a small camera with great AF if you can't effectively use it on a gimbal ??‍♂️?‍♂️

"No 1080 at 24p" there will be a firmware allowing this.... seems  they copy Sony in thing like for the FX9 no 4k 60p until firmware...

1 hour ago, gt3rs said:

"No 1080 at 24p" there will be a firmware allowing this.... seems  they copy Sony in thing like for the FX9 no 4k 60p until firmware...

Not being able to do 60fps is usually due to a technical limitation they're still working on. 

You've got no such excuse for excluding 24fps 

47 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Not being able to do 60fps is usually due to a technical limitation they're still working on. 

You've got no such excuse for excluding 24fps 

I don't want to start an argument here as there was a long full wrong info thread on the 24p for Canon.

Sony and Canon did omit a feature that will be released as firmware, so it means no technical issue but did not have enough time, man power or priority to finish it in time. If it would be a big technical challenge it would be a huge risk to officially announce that you will deliver this feature in a future firmware update and you may never get it done. When you write software you always have trade off in term of priorities vs time to implement vs. available dev time and testing costs. Sony decided to postpone 4k 60p, canon 1080 24p to me it seems the same issue, I do agree that probably Sony 60p work is much bigger especially for long run tests. 

What is you conspiracy theory to omit 1080 24p and announce that it will come as firmware update? Is to protect for 2-3 months a C500 II ?? 

Anyway in general I hate this new trend of unfinished software for camera with promises that can take even 1 year....

11 hours ago, Matthew19 said:

Indeed it does not look great, let see the measurements.

Canon C500 II FF sensor also around 20 Mpixels has a rolling shutter of 15.9ms in FF so they would have the tech do have good rolling shutter.... Also view that one of the advertised feature is to take picture at full res in RAW at 20fps fully silent I hope they have a good rolling shutter but the video posted does not look promising.

• Administrators
On 1/11/2020 at 2:09 PM, mechanicalEYE said:

18:44

Looks like a worst case scenario because he has it on the end of a 200mm lens or something.

Would like to see a test in the different modes, at 4K/60p RS should be less for example.

He doesn't say what mode the clip comes from, could be 4K/24p

It might be that RS has gone up in that mode, due to the sensor being the same as the 1D X Mark II, with expanded readout.

Image processor probably the main change.

Remember 1D X Mark II could already do 4K/60p in 1.4x crop

CameraLabs is not a good source for video info BTW. So take his observations on video with a heavy pinch of salt.

7 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Sony decided to postpone 4k 60p, canon 1080 24p to me it seems the same issue

Delaying 4K 60fps is understandable due to bandwidth limitations / processing power limitations to work around. 

But you can't say the same about 1080 24p 

That is like me saying I'm going to run a sub 3hr Boston Marathon qualifier in a couple of month's time, but I can't go for a half hour 3 mile jog with you because it is too fast / too long for me to handle. 

That just doesn't add up

6 hours ago, ade towell said:

The terrible RS is very disappointing, it made the Eos-r useless for my needs and was hoping the 1DX3 tech might make it's way to an Rf mirrorless. Not interested anymore

Dont really see the issue with Rollin shutter tbh.  Easy work arounds. The 1dc had bad rolling shutter but was still used in high end producition 

23 minutes ago, androidlad said:

With 60fps full 5.5K readout, the rolling shutter isn't going to be higher than 16.7ms.

Yes I think you are right but also at 24fps should be the same as you read then wait then read etc no?

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

Delaying 4K 60fps is understandable due to bandwidth limitations / processing power limitations to work around. 

But you can't say the same about 1080 24p 

That is like me saying I'm going to run a sub 3hr Boston Marathon qualifier in a couple of month's time, but I can't go for a half hour 3 mile jog with you because it is too fast / too long for me to handle. 

That just doesn't add up

Do a read on how to manage a software backlog  in a large team with priorities, cost, velocity etc. Also do a read on test driven development and you realize how much more time it takes even for a few line of code especially when you are so close to deliver a final release. 

But yea is typical Canon crippling for a few month to protect xyz camera?

In fact Canon will lose tons of sales due to people waiting for the firmware to add 1080 24fps.....

You should be happy that Canon finally is all in at least with the 1dx iii and c500 ii... more competition is always good. I’m a Canon user but I’m super happy that Panasonic, Fuji and Blackmagic continue to innovate and push the boundary. I’m sure without them there would be no improvements on Canon video part in dslr...

I hope that they will be all in also on the R and M camera in the future...

21 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Yes I think you are right but also at 24fps should be the same as you read then wait then read etc no?

Sensors have a fixed scan rate for a given readout mode, in the case of 5.5K RAW and 5.5K supersampled 4K, it should be equivalent to the the maximum framerate, 1/60s.

3 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Do a read on how to manage a software backlog  in a large team with priorities, cost, velocity etc. Also do a read on test driven development and you realize how much more time it takes even for a few line of code especially when you are so close to deliver a final release. 

Yeah, I know even "simple" things take time to do. 

But implementing 24fps should be relatively low hanging fruit here, it's not like we're asking for 240fps!

And a *LOT* of content still today gets shot in 1080, thus it is kinda cruel to leave it out at launch. Shows their priorities, pretty low for videomakers. 

5 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Yeah, I know even "simple" things take time to do. 

But implementing 24fps should be relatively low hanging fruit here, it's not like we're asking for 240fps!

And a *LOT* of content still today gets shot in 1080, thus it is kinda cruel to leave it out at launch. Shows their priorities, pretty low for videomakers. 

FF 5.5k up to 60fps and FF 4k up to 60fps 10bit Log yes I agree Canon priorities for video makers are pretty low for this camera. 

Who would ever spend 6.5k usd for delivering 1080 can pick tons of other much cheaper cameras? It is good that they will add it as fw update and I’m sure will be the least used feature for the buyers of this camera.

You seems frustrated and trying to find wrong things on this camera at all costs. You don’t like it, too expensive for you, ok so move on.... the good news is that you don’t need to buy it?