Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

10 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

Pictures of it out in the wild, increases the odds Komodo won't turnout to just have been a mythical beast.

However Komodo also is from RED....  which increases the odds it will be a mythical beast! ha

C500mk2

what cameras for a B/C camera to pair with this haha

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, noone said:

Canon will sell a thousand 5Div for every one of these they sell.

Ten years ago, this would have sold like hotcakes to larger Newspapers and TV stations for their photogs pool to use but most of those people have been replaced by reporters with phones.

They will sell to a few higher end sports photographers but by the time you add the lenses needed (or justified) with this just to shoot stills you will be at around $20,000 and up and most free lancers are going to find that hard to come by especially if it is just going to be replaced by the next big thing in a year or two....Paid shooters are fewer and fewer and only the biggest employers are going to get these.     Larger sports events like the Olympics are hardly going to use these for video for the TV coverage.

That's a key point, the average press pool photographer who may have used this in the past is a dying breed compared to a decade or two ago. (and those who remain, would be happy to just carry on using their 1Dmk3. Or heck.... even a 5D)

And the rates for other fields are all coming down as well, the average sports photographer isn't as highly paid as before. 

1 minute ago, ade towell said:

I wonder how many of these will be bought purely for video. I would hate to have to go back to using a dslr for video 

at 6500 this is a bit tough for people who need more than one thats for sure. i need 3 matching cameras and it puts me in a bind. if they were 4000 id have preordered 3 already but damn 6500 is a lot. 

1 minute ago, ade towell said:

yes is full frame 60p 4k worth that much to you, particularly when you don't get the Af and have to use a big lump of a camera with no evf, flip screen, internal nd, xlr audio, waveform

whats sad as i dont care about the RAW or 10 bit CLOG anything. i just need 4k UHD @ 60p @ full frame =( maybe sony a7s iii will come save me

5 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

whats sad as i dont care about the RAW or 10 bit CLOG anything. i just need 4k UHD @ 60p @ full frame =( maybe sony a7s iii will come save me

Currently the only one is C500 II.... or but with a firmware update and with a bit of crop FX9.... all above >11k usd

13 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

new mk3 confirmed no crop at all in 60p

Yes I know but I thought you need AF at FF 60p.
In 4k DCI and 5.5 RAW there is no crop. In FF 4k UHD you have a slight crop because if I understood correctly it supersample the whole width to create the 4k DCI and then it crop its to make it UHD.

51 minutes ago, gt3rs said:

Yes I know but I thought you need AF at FF 60p.
In 4k DCI and 5.5 RAW there is no crop. In FF 4k UHD you have a slight crop because if I understood correctly it supersample the whole width to create the 4k DCI and then it crop its to make it UHD.

i don't really use AF no worry there. DCI works for me as well. Very powerful camera i just wish was 4,000 not 6500

47 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

i don't really use AF no worry there. DCI works for me as well. Very powerful camera i just wish was 4,000 not 6500

The market is shrinking and with phones getting better and better the pro and hardcore amateur will be the only market left. 

So I’m wondering if lowering below 5k usd would not be a better strategy. Also they may sell a few more to the C500/C200 owners and some video enthusiast.

For hybrid action photo and video like myself is a no brainer the upgrade from 1dx II to III but for photo only not sure there is enough improvements from the 1dx II

12 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

we buy now for 6500 then 8 month from now price drop to 5000 ha

Could be, but here the 1dx II goes for 4400 usd new after almost 4 years.... and it was ca. 6300 usd new... it took 2.5 years to go below 5000 but time has change and if competition will bring mirrorless with similar spec the drop could be faster.

What I’m a bit more concern is the resale value in 3 years as I doubt dslr even for sports/action would still have a market in 2023-24

10 hours ago, Django said:

huh? wtf cares.. trust fund or not these cats are getting 10M views that's a fact.. so they're getting paid. and seem clearly connected to their local motorsports scene in LA, which is surely why Canon USA gave them early access to 1DX3s. anyways, I'm not interested in vouching for these guys,  my point was simply that if you're a pro sports/action hybrid shooter this new cam seems like a no-brainer. bottom line is its class-leading specs in this category.

My point was that just because they're making money doesn't mean they can automatically justify spending it on new equipment.

Firstly, because the differences between this cam and previous ones probably doesn't matter to a lot of people, and secondly I was saying maybe they're spending all the income paying rent and bills and trying to save for their kids education.

Having a high revenue business doesn't equal having large profit margins, and even large profit margins doesn't mean that the business case to spend lots of money doesn't have to be made.

Well considering these cats drive, race & crash +100K supercars for a living, I somehow doubt spending 6.5K on a camera upgrade that makes em shoot their 10M views YT videos / sport photos is going to be a problem. If they aren’t the target audience for 1DX3, I don’t know who is!

As for the difference between 1DX3 and the previous gen not being significant, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Especially if you are an action/sports hybrid shooter.

31 minutes ago, Django said:

Well considering these cats drive, race & crash +100K supercars for a living, I somehow doubt spending 6.5K on a camera upgrade that makes em shoot their 10M views YT videos / sport photos is going to be a problem. If they aren’t the target audience for 1DX3, I don’t know who is!

As for the difference between 1DX3 and the previous gen not being significant, I wholeheartedly disagree with you. Especially if you are an action/sports hybrid shooter.

Fair enough. I thought you were saying that they can afford the camera because the ad revenue from the videos is significant, which didn't really make sense, but the idea that they have so much money it doesn't matter makes much more sense :) 

1 hour ago, kye said:

My point was that just because they're making money doesn't mean they can automatically justify spending it on new equipment.

Firstly, because the differences between this cam and previous ones probably doesn't matter to a lot of people, and secondly I was saying maybe they're spending all the income paying rent and bills and trying to save for their kids education.

Having a high revenue business doesn't equal having large profit margins, and even large profit margins doesn't mean that the business case to spend lots of money doesn't have to be made.

110% agreed

If anything, running a business means you need to think even more seriously about ROI ("return on investment") than a hobbyist. As a hobbyist doesn't care at all in the slightest if his new camera will make him more money than his old camera.