Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

I wonder how it compares to the BMPCC6K - not so much for RAW (which I think the BMPCC would win given the compression advantage) - but just for 4K IQ. The BMPCC6K uses EF glass and comes it at almost 1/3 the cost. Really curious to see how it compares in dynamic range and the texture and depth of the image. I've been pretty impressed by the 6K thus far, it's limitations and inconvenience notwithstanding.  

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
37 minutes ago, mercer said:

The sarcasm didn't go unnoticed. Lol. Weirdly, I never used an EVF when I shot mirrorless and most cameras that have these kind of specs, an EVF is an add on.

Hahaha

Honestly mate, I was being genuine!

There are definitely people who prefer using DSLRs or their mirrorless equivalent over cinema style cameras and I think its a perfectly valid way of working.

44 minutes ago, mercer said:

With that said, obviously I agree that DSLRs are dying a slow death and your most recent post from the Canon rep only enforces that.

Of course, with their patent filings, you'd think Canon was invested in EF for the next decade or more.

I think they'll be selling the existing EF lenses for as long as its financially viable to do so, which considering how long ago the design and tooling would have been recouped, will likely be a very long time yet.

48 minutes ago, mercer said:

That sucks, I was hoping an updated USM 50mm 1.4 With IS was on the horizon.

Funnily enough, I'm literally having a major fight with calibrating the existing version on a Pocket6K as it has about 1/2 the AF resolution steps as other Canon lenses and about 1/4 of the Sigma ART lenses. 

51 minutes ago, mercer said:

Now if my opinion mattered, Canon would release a video centric DSLR (or modular C100iii) with a hybrid OVF/EVF, an EF mount that shot a maximum of 2.5K internal raw with IBIS and DPAF. And why not, throw in an articulated screen.

They seem to have filed a patent recently for IBIS for the EOS M range so how far behind a full frame version is would be anyone's guess but they could make a very decent interchangeable lens XC-10 style camera based on the M if they had the inclination. 

The only way to get anywhere near what you are after today from an existing product is probably the Z6 as TechArt PRO have just released an EF to Z mount AF adapter that does AF-C, Face and Eye Detect and the demo I've seen of it doesn't look too bad. You'd need the Ninja V of course but if you mount it on top with a fold down bracket to make a clamshell type of affair it can be left in place so its not too cumbersome when moving between places.

There would definitely be a market for Atomos to make a specific Ninja Star style unit to take that ProRes RAW HDMI out of the Z6 to small SSDs without having to have the screen though.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

The perfect intended scenario for 1D mk3 buyers is people who fool around with rich people's toy playthings? As I click the video and immediately see a Lambo

Yes, I can see indeed how such people would indeed be buying a 1Dmk3!

It's a motorsports YT channel. Some of their vids have got +10 million views (FYI a million views gets you 3-7000 USD I'll let you do the math)

so if anything it's more like the 1DX pays for the cars than the other way around..

33 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I think they'll be selling the existing EF lenses for as long as its financially viable to do so, which considering how long ago the design and tooling would have been recouped, will likely be a very long time yet.

Three years ago, I was all in with EF but now, after my past few sales, I only have the 28mm 1.8 left. I plan on getting an old 28-105mm too as an all purpose crash lens. I may eventually buy an L zoom but if the EF mount is going to die within Canon cameras, I don't see the point in investing too much into their lenses at this point. I'll wait to see where the market settles going forward. With the Komodo using the RF mount, I wonder if that will be a future standard? Of course, for obvious reasons, I'm still adapting, or modifying, my vintage lenses to EF.

Funnily enough, I'm literally having a major fight with calibrating the existing version on a Pocket6K as it has about 1/2 the AF resolution steps as other Canon lenses and about 1/4 of the Sigma ART lenses. 

That lens has such a short focus throw that it makes sense, I guess. I wonder if the Sigma art lenses have so many more to accommodate the different system's focusing methods? Interesting. Have you tested your focus protocol on any Z-Cam cameras yet?

They seem to have filed a patent recently for IBIS for the EOS M range so how far behind a full frame version is would be anyone's guess but they could make a very decent interchangeable lens XC-10 style camera based on the M if they had the inclination.

They've been threatening that camera for almost two years now. And if they ever follow through with it, I may consider going back to APS-C.

The only way to get anywhere near what you are after today from an existing product is probably the Z6 as TechArt PRO have just released an EF to Z mount AF adapter that does AF-C, Face and Eye Detect and the demo I've seen of it doesn't look too bad. You'd need the Ninja V of course but if you mount it on top with a fold down bracket to make a clamshell type of affair it can be left in place so its not too cumbersome when moving between places.

The Z6 is an interesting possibility for me... as is the FP. The FP may even be worth a gimbal investment if the footage out in the wild continues in the direction it's going. And the ProRes Raw I've seen from the Z6 is definitely promising and has a slight edge since I'm an FCPX user.

There would definitely be a market for Atomos to make a specific Ninja Star style unit to take that ProRes RAW HDMI out of the Z6 to small SSDs without having to have the screen though.

Yup, I have no idea why Atomos has not updated their Ninja Star, I would order that tomorrow and a Z6 on Friday.

To keep this on topic, do you know if the 1DXiii can output its raw signal? At that price, you may as well add an Atomos recorder for a ProRes Raw option.

1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

?

21 hours ago, Django said:

As this promo video showcases a perfect intended scenario:

The perfect intended scenario for 1D mk3 buyers is people who fool around with rich people's toy playthings? As I click the video and immediately see a Lambo

Yes, I can see indeed how such people would indeed be buying a 1Dmk3!

Larry Chen is quite famous as photographer/videographer in the car culture from racing to tuning etc... he was one of the key author at speedhunters web site that was and imo still is one of the best car site with really focus on having great pictures and articles, a rare thing in the online world. 

Just check is web gallery and you can see the quality of his work: https://www.larrychenphoto.com/

He is a pro that made a career out of photo and video of car.

• Super Members
7 minutes ago, mercer said:

Three years ago, I was all in with EF but now, after my past few sales, I only have the 28mm 1.8 left. I plan on getting an old 28-105mm too as an all purpose crash lens. I may eventually buy an L zoom but if the EF mount is going to die within Canon cameras, I don't see the point in investing too much into their lenses at this point. I'll wait to see where the market settles going forward. With the Komodo using the RF mount, I wonder if that will be a future standard? Of course, for obvious reasons, I'm still adapting, or modifying, my vintage lenses to EF.

I think the RF mount has legs and has already has great options for non FF cinema cameras like Komodo with the Variable-ND adapter and the EF>RF Speedbooster as well as just the shorter flange distance in general so you can put PL and M mount lenses on it.

11 minutes ago, mercer said:

That lens has such a short focus throw that it makes sense, I guess. I wonder if the Sigma art lenses have so many more to accommodate the different system's focusing methods? Interesting. Have you tested your focus protocol on any Z-Cam cameras yet?

It has 43 discrete steps compared to 97 for an EF 18-35mm f2.8 and over 200 for the Sigma ART 18-35mm. Although the Tokina 18-300mm is currently king with over 400!

I haven't ventured into Z-Cam yet as I don't have access to one but from their API its pretty straightforward.

17 minutes ago, mercer said:

The Z6 is an interesting possibility for me... as is the FP. The FP may even be worth a gimbal investment if the footage out in the wild continues in the direction it's going. And the ProRes Raw I've seen from the Z6 is definitely promising and has a slight edge since I'm an FCPX user.

I'm taking a risk and buying the small Crane M2 for my upcoming FP as with the diminutive Voigtlander Color Skopar 21mm M that I'd put on it for such shots its only about 70% of the rated capacity. As its not massively bigger than a pistol grip so keeps within the overall minimalist vibe !

The used price of the Z6 is now flashing a serious amount of ankle at me now they've finally delivered ProResRAW.

23 minutes ago, mercer said:

To keep this on topic, do you know if the 1DXiii can output its raw signal? At that price, you may as well add an Atomos recorder for a ProRes Raw option.

As far as I understand it doesn't, at least not at launch.

I don't know what the Atomos exclusivity period is with Nikon, if indeed there is one, so I've no idea if its even a viable option.

Looking at MapCamera in Tokyo they currently have 85 pre-orders for the 1DXiii which isn't bad for one store in one day !

1 hour ago, mercer said:

if the EF mount is going to die within Canon cameras, I don't see the point in investing too much into their lenses at this point. 

I had similar thinking as I moved from Canon to Sony: with all the traveling I do, I started buying native E mount lenses (for their size and weight advantage) and sold about half my EF lenses... Well, I recently bought a Z Cam and first thing I did was start buying EF lenses again! 

I love native mirrorless lenses, but the adaptability of EF (or others like Nikon F) really make them desirable simply to keep from being locked into a system. Plus, no focus by wire!

...And don't forget speed boosting...

3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Found it kinda funny how smoothly you went from talking about one mythical beast (the Sony a7Smk3) to discussing another mythical beast instead (Komodo

At least the Komodo has pictures of itself in the wild and (loose) specs attached to it. When it actually gets released is anybody’s guess, regardless of what Jared says. 

1D X Mark III – where does it fit?

At the very, very top.

I know things are relative and many other users (plus Andrew of course) may have a better handle than me on these things.  I want this camera and it is way too pricey, but here's the thing - why should anyone care what I want ?  And most respectfully to others here the reverse argument is also true.  No one is going to send me to the deepest tropics to capture the wildlife anytime soon...or the coldest tundra, or a high end fashion shoot, but if I was of such calibre, surely 1DX Mk3 is what I would want in my hand.  And the potential video quality in-camera is out of this world.  Canon have answered Andrew's spoof "Canon Rep" vids and the "C800" mockup in a very big way and deliberately shown no quarter to Atomos on the way - that is very impressive for sure.   :)

20 hours ago, mercer said:

While this is mostly true for the sports photographer crowd, it seems to me that Canon pulled a rabbit out of a hat and extended the niche to include C500ii shooters that need/want a B-Cam and indie filmmakers that were raised on Canon DSLRs but are looking for that step up in quality. I see this as being a huge rental camera. I also suspect that Shane Hurlbut, or someone, will shoot a feature film with it.

They basically combined the 1DC and 1DX lines.

@DaveAltizer agrees with you on that...

8 hours ago, mercer said:

Weirdly, I never used an EVF when I shot mirrorless and most cameras that have these kind of specs, an EVF is an add on.

EVFs are fantastic, I use the EVF on the GH5 all the time.  Partly it's for shooting in full sun, partly it's because it's slightly higher res than the screen, and it also gives you that third point of contact for stabilisation.

Of course, it makes getting more creative camera angles much less convenient.

Back in the day EVFs were bad because they were too slow and stills shooters would miss 'the decisive moment' and I wonder how much the die hard DSLR shooters still think that OVF is better than EVF and just haven't caught up yet.

6 hours ago, Django said:

It's a motorsports YT channel. Some of their vids have got +10 million views (FYI a million views gets you 3-7000 USD I'll let you do the math)

so if anything it's more like the 1DX pays for the cars than the other way around..

I highly doubt that.  You'd have to be living in a one-bedroom apartment right next to a race-track to be able to regularly feature supercars in your videos, otherwise $7K will get eaten up pretty quickly when you factor in transport, hotels, and all the other things involved.  Most of these channels are either run by trust-fund-kids or kids who are couch surfing with a laptop.  The people with families and rent are doing sponsorships, which pays so much more than ad revenue that some channels don't even enable ads on their videos.

6 hours ago, mercer said:

Yup, I have no idea why Atomos has not updated their Ninja Star, I would order that tomorrow and a Z6 on Friday.

I second this!

I have it on my list to do a 4K 10-bit h264 vs 1080p RAW comparison to see how that goes.  Of course, recording 4K Prores HQ would be pretty nice!

9 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

There would definitely be a market for Atomos to make a specific Ninja Star style unit to take that ProRes

I would love a small device like this that takes or mounts a Samsung T5 or smaller SSD drive and I can feed an HDMI signal from my GH5S and get my ProRes.

Mostly because the cost be GB on SSD is so much lower.

3 hours ago, kye said:

I highly doubt that.  You'd have to be living in a one-bedroom apartment right next to a race-track to be able to regularly feature supercars in your videos, otherwise $7K will get eaten up pretty quickly when you factor in transport, hotels, and all the other things involved.  Most of these channels are either run by trust-fund-kids or kids who are couch surfing with a laptop.  The people with families and rent are doing sponsorships, which pays so much more than ad revenue that some channels don't even enable ads on their videos.

huh? wtf cares.. trust fund or not these cats are getting 10M views that's a fact.. so they're getting paid. and seem clearly connected to their local motorsports scene in LA, which is surely why Canon USA gave them early access to 1DX3s. anyways, I'm not interested in vouching for these guys,  my point was simply that if you're a pro sports/action hybrid shooter this new cam seems like a no-brainer. bottom line is its class-leading specs in this category.

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

Starting up the production line would be the biggest cost. (& the materials + running the line would of course be two other major costs)

As they're not making 300mm f2.8 every single day, an 18-55mm though they're liking pumping those out every day of the week nonstop. 

But for many lenses they'd be producing them in batches. Even once all the tooling/machinery has recouped their costs, it still takes a lot of time (and time = money) to change over the production line from making say a 100mm f2.8 macro lens to a 300mm f2.8 telephoto lens. 

For many of these lenses there is not enough demand to have production of them be running 24/7/365 (as that would mean a LOT of lenses!). Thus they make them in batches, and once the current inventory runs low they'll schedule in a time to spin up a production line to make up another batch. 

So Canon will keep on spinning up to do new batches so long as it makes sense, but if they fall down to the point of say only selling a few dozen 100mm f2.8 macros per year then there is no point in making a new batch of 100mm f2.8m macro lenses. As their "minimum viable run size" could be in the hundreds (although perhaps with a higher margin lens like the 300mm f2.8 it is likely on the smaller side of things), and with declining sales it would take too many years to sell a batch of that size. They won't want that much spare inventory hanging around. 

A very nice camera but I am still not sure who is going to buy it.

Canon will sell a thousand 5Div for every one of these they sell.

Ten years ago, this would have sold like hotcakes to larger Newspapers and TV stations for their photogs pool to use but most of those people have been replaced by reporters with phones.

They will sell to a few higher end sports photographers but by the time you add the lenses needed (or justified) with this just to shoot stills you will be at around $20,000 and up and most free lancers are going to find that hard to come by especially if it is just going to be replaced by the next big thing in a year or two....Paid shooters are fewer and fewer and only the biggest employers are going to get these.     Larger sports events like the Olympics are hardly going to use these for video for the TV coverage.

SOME will be used for a while for feature films/shorts ETC so there will be some to rental houses that will be very popular at least for a while (until something else comes along or the novelty wears off...or the media cost makes people cry)     If you are not going to use those rates that no other camera has currently, why would you get this over something else far cheaper?    A lot of money just to have it just in case as well.

A few rich amateurs will want them just because and some pros who can afford them but are there really THAT many of those? 

I agree this SHOULD have been mirrorless (oh and no tilting screen??).

If i was rich enough, I would buy one and likely use it for a few weeks before selling it (too big for me).

Funny thing is about the no AF in RAW (at the highest rates), I would want to try that most with my manual focus Canon 17mm TS-E to shoot bands in pubs but it would still be way overkill for me.

23 minutes ago, noone said:

A very nice camera but I am still not sure who is going to buy it.

Canon will sell a thousand 5Div for every one of these they sell.

Ten years ago, this would have sold like hotcakes to larger Newspapers and TV stations for their photogs pool to use but most of those people have been replaced by reporters with phones.

They will sell to a few higher end sports photographers but by the time you add the lenses needed (or justified) with this just to shoot stills you will be at around $20,000 and up and most free lancers are going to find that hard to come by especially if it is just going to be replaced by the next big thing in a year or two....Paid shooters are fewer and fewer and only the biggest employers are going to get these.     Larger sports events like the Olympics are hardly going to use these for video for the TV coverage.

SOME will be used for a while for feature films/shorts ETC so there will be some to rental houses that will be very popular at least for a while (until something else comes along or the novelty wears off...or the media cost makes people cry)     If you are not going to use those rates that no other camera has currently, why would you get this over something else far cheaper?    A lot of money just to have it just in case as well.

A few rich amateurs will want them just because and some pros who can afford them but are there really THAT many of those? 

I agree this SHOULD have been mirrorless (oh and no tilting screen??).

If i was rich enough, I would buy one and likely use it for a few weeks before selling it (too big for me).

Funny thing is about the no AF in RAW (at the highest rates), I would want to try that most with my manual focus Canon 17mm TS-E to shoot bands in pubs but it would still be way overkill for me.

I agree.  The biggest segment is the enthusiast segment. $2-3k at the most.  $6k is too expensive.  However, the few "professional sport" photographers might pony up the cash for this -- but they are a dying breed.  This  camera doesn't have a market nor is it really good enough to create a market for itself.  I really don't see how releasing this camera  helps canon as a company.

15 minutes ago, eleison said:

I agree.  The biggest segment is the enthusiast segment. $2-3k at the most.  $6k is too expensive.  However, the few "professional sport" photographers might pony up the cash for this -- but they are a dying breed.  This  camera doesn't have a market nor is it really good enough to create a market for itself.  I really don't see how releasing this camera  helps canon as a company.

I guess I see it as a kind of we built it because we can kind of thing (maybe they do not expect to sell that many but built it to hold off more defectors now salivating over when they DO make that mirrorless version)..     

Biggest segment is not just enthusiasts but wedding shooters and mid level pros/part timers who increasing do video...many of them would want this but most will get a 5Div (or lower) or Sony A?? or Nikon D780 or mirrorless whatever and this would be too big for a lot of that crowd anyway.      Its size will limit one less lens in a carry on bag too when traveling VS some of the smaller mirrorless FF cameras.

4 minutes ago, eleison said:

I think the important thing for all of us is that this camera has good specs for video - which may not seem like it matters if you are not buying this camera, but it is a good sign for other canon cameras down the road and the industry in general. We need Canon, Sony, Red, Blackmagic, Panasonic and whoever else to continue boxing in the ring, the more one company one ups the other, the better it is for all of us. Wether you like Canon or not, they are a VERY important player in the game (if not the most important due to their marketshare) and if they bring good video specs to more of their cameras - all other companies will have no other choice but to continue and push the bar as well in the consumer/prosumer markets. A big reason why Sony got lazy with video specs (it is now 2020 and none of their cameras do 10 bit), is they really did not need to from a market perspective. I know many have chimed in that Sony needed to make a move to compete with the S1H, well maybe from an ego stand point, but not from a sales standpoint. Panasonic isn't even in their rearview mirror sales wise. Canon on the other hand, they are a company that can make an impact big enough where Sony and all companies have to get even more competitive. So my point in all of this is that yes, this is expensive and most of us won't buy it - but don't lose track of the importance of this camera. This is the first time that RAW internal video is available in a DSLR outside of a magic lantern hack. I am not sure what category Sigma FP is and the blackmagics don't count as DSLRs, so I am sticking with this as the first one. 

12 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I don't know what the Atomos exclusivity period is with Nikon, if indeed there is one, so I've no idea if its even a viable option.

Would have been a smart move by Nikon if they did lock Atomos into a period of exclusivity in exchange for working with them in a partnership. Is a way to keep the edge by Nikon over Canon. 

Although I haven't read anywhere anything that hints at an exclusivity agreement. 

11 hours ago, crevice said:

At least the Komodo has pictures of itself in the wild and (loose) specs attached to it. When it actually gets released is anybody’s guess, regardless of what Jared says. 

Pictures of it out in the wild, increases the odds Komodo won't turnout to just have been a mythical beast.

However Komodo also is from RED....  which increases the odds it will be a mythical beast! ha

21 minutes ago, Silenkiller said:

what cameras to pair with this? eos-r? 5dmk4?

C500mk2