Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

4 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

IBIS in video is improved over A7III? Did not know that. 

As for the 1DX, some of the specs are utterly impressive, especially coming from Canon. It really is a great move. However I am far from buying it because it's $6.5K. Although even at $3K I would not buy it because:

- 1.5KG, thanks but no thanks 
- DSLR and its shortcomings especially in videos. Thanks, but no thanks. Are we in 2020?
- No IBIS. Well we must be in 2012.
- No AF in 4K60P FF. Literally the interesting spec for me is the 4K60p FF 10 bit which is amazing, but I shoot 90% video with AF on, so unfortunately that's a major deal breaker. 
- Couple of details like fixed screen

If they would have released some of those specs (4K60 FF 10 bits, with DPAF) in the EOS-R body, with IBIS, I would be all over it. 
Now Sony can do it with the A7SIII, releasing what I have asked for years here, a FF 4K60P 10 bit camera with great AF (sorry S1H) and IBIS in a decent form factor. If they don't then f*ck it, I am gonna shoot with iPhones now on :).

I’m also disappointed that no FF 4k 60 dpaf but currently there are only two cameras on the planet that can do FF 4k 60p 10bit with AF:

C500 II, C700 FF

No other camera can do it yet. 1Dx III come close at 1.34 crop, Sony FX9 will be around 1.1-1.2 crop with new firmware.

So it seems quite a bit of a tech challenge to get it done on a FF sensor.

I take AF over IBIS any day but I do a lot of action shooting where manual with my skills is just a no go.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
22 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

The only tool here is Peter McKinnon thinking he needs a 2400Mbit codec for YouTube vlogs.

I agree with you Andrew just crazy! My post was perhaps a bit too cheery. Mainly just meant to say cool specs, but not for me. 

1 hour ago, Andrew Reid said:

The only tool here is Peter McKinnon thinking he needs a 2400Mbit codec for YouTube vlogs.

Agreed.  

Although Canon fans aren't the only ones here, also of note is that Marquis Brownlee (MKBHD) shoots 8K RAW for his projects (IIRC).  Go Red!

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

the Leica SL2 I have 5 axis IBIS better than Sony, killer codec and colour science, amazing EVF, Leica's sleek body and minimalist controls, 4K/60p, 5.5K anamorphic and internal 10bit LOG for that price, and no need to buy expensive CF Express cards.

Looking forward to your post about this camera. From the little amount of footage I have seen from it, it looks really good.

Its a Leica with some Panasonic technology in it. Leica definitely got the better end of the stick in that partnership. Wish I had the money or knew someone that had one so I could at least play with it!

Im sure If the A7SIII comes with 10-bit Slog with 4k60p with AF then it will be the de facto winner. Sony has tremendous momentum in the mirrorless space. Especially amoung influencers and vloggers, which lets be honest, sells cameras for Sony like nothing else.

Im sure the 1DX Mk3 will be popular with everybody that has the mk2 and for Canon shooters looking to upgrade. It has all the goodies just in a DSLR body.

Will be interesting to see where RED Komodo lands. 

Mr. McKinnon says he isn’t sponsored by Canon but he sure does get exclusive access and has done a lot of “partnerships” projects with them. Free gear is payment in my book. 

11 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

This camera and the D6 are still going to be for a niche - and dwindling - market and are priced to reflect not only the extra features like networking and the build standard but also because whilst they'll clear up 95% of that niche the actual unit sales will be a drop in the ocean compared to their other cameras.

While this is mostly true for the sports photographer crowd, it seems to me that Canon pulled a rabbit out of a hat and extended the niche to include C500ii shooters that need/want a B-Cam and indie filmmakers that were raised on Canon DSLRs but are looking for that step up in quality. I see this as being a huge rental camera. I also suspect that Shane Hurlbut, or someone, will shoot a feature film with it.

They basically combined the 1DC and 1DX lines.

If I were a richer man, I would order that camera tomorrow. But I actually like shooting with a DSLR. Canon's LiveView is like shooting mirrorless anyway with the extra weight a professional camera is supposed to have... with DPAF.

I suspect I'll save any money I was planning on investing into a new camera and use it for an extended rental of the 1DXiii, unless of course Canon is ballsy enough to put raw video in the 5DV... a guy can dream...

Canon has allowed BRAW from C300mkii some time back

Is there a possibility we could see it externally in 1dx mkiii?

And Black magic is ready to provide BRAW internally and externally, why no camera company recognises them?

Or it is because Atomos &  Apple holding tight on camera companies!?

19 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

It seems reasonably certain that the D6 has IBIS and likely that it will do ProRes RAW out to a Ninja V so it may be that Canon has finally had to give up the goods on internal RAW to counter that.

Why do you think the D6 has IBIS?

Thought the most disppointing missing spec about the Nikon D780 (and Z50!! But that was more understandable, as the Z50 is their cheapest Z Model, but still.... SAD!) was the missing IBIS, seeing as both Z6 and Z7 have. (and the D780 is basically a "DSLR version of the Z6")

*IF* the D780 had IBIS, then I'd have been willing to bet on better than 50/50 odds that the D6 would have IBIS. But as it is now, I think not. Likely Pentax will remain forever having the only DSLRs with IBIS. 

• Super Members
7 hours ago, mercer said:

While this is mostly true for the sports photographer crowd, it seems to me that Canon pulled a rabbit out of a hat and extended the niche to include C500ii shooters that need/want a B-Cam and indie filmmakers that were raised on Canon DSLRs but are looking for that step up in quality. I see this as being a huge rental camera. I also suspect that Shane Hurlbut, or someone, will shoot a feature film with it.

They basically combined the 1DC and 1DX lines.

I definitely think that for anyone comfortable, or even preferring, shooting with DSLRs and the accompanying workarounds/addons for audio, ND and having a fixed 3.5" monitor and no EVF  then this is a gift that no one ever thought Canon would give.

9 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

I definitely think that for anyone comfortable, or even preferring, shooting with DSLRs and the accompanying workarounds/addons for audio, ND and having a fixed 3.5" monitor and no EVF  then this is a gift that no one ever thought Canon would give.

Sounds a lot like us P4K/6K users. But that extra 1.5" monitor makes up for it all.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Why do you think the D6 has IBIS?

I'm basing it purely on every single report of the leaked spec for the D6 since last summer up to the present time having included it.

But seeing as how much erm "content aggregation" goes on, those specs appearing even on non-rumour centric sites is no guarantee it isn't all from the same fantasist source of course!

I suppose we'll know for definite in a couple of weeks.

• Super Members
15 minutes ago, Anaconda_ said:

Sounds a lot like us P4K/6K users. But that extra 1.5" monitor makes up for it all.

It certainly helps and the monitoring advantage to mr isn't just the extra size but also the extra features like false colour and monitoring LUTs.

On the upside for the 1Dx3, though, it doesn't require someone fucking about with lasers to make it do continuous autofocus !

On 1/7/2020 at 10:18 PM, gt3rs said:

The cons:

-No waveform or zebra

It is a damn pity that we don't see all mid range and up cameras with waveform, it is just software for them to add, it isn't impossible if they've got the spare CPU cycles and the desire to do it. 

Sadly is only on the Panasonic GH5/GH5S/S1H/S1(although I think the S1 requires a paid upgrade for WFM? Ditto G9 maybe? Not sure). 

Come on Fuji/Nikon/Sony/Canon!!!! Add waveforms. 

22 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

As far as I know, the D6 supposed to be launched roughly the same time in mid-February and with these sort of specs and the longevity of these types of cameras in general, we are likely to be seeing the final showdown of the flagship DSLR era as it seems unlikely the 2023/24 replacement versions won't be mirrorless.

There are a *LOT* of DSLR users, and some are very conservative and will want to stick with the same system they have with their upgrades for as long as they can. Canikon will want to keep on sequeezing the last bits of juice from this money true as long as they can. (just look at see how much looooooonger the Sony A Mount dragged on than seemed at all reasonable!!! And the A Mount system had a far far smaller following than Canikon has, so Canikon has a bigger customer base to draw this out with)

Thus I bet we have at least a couple more generations left. (if not even more)

However:
a) each refresh cycle will get longer and longer (we saw this with A Mount)
b)  the number DSLR lines will get reduced, we saw this as well with A Mount. (only three "current" A Mount bodies at the moment, one from 2014! And the other two from 2016. Personally I reckon A Mount won't see another camera release. But who knows, maybe this system has one last kick left in it with a Sony a77mk3?? Get the upgrade dollars from the last dying few users. Maybe, but I doubt it as I can't see Sony putting enough into an a77mk3 to force the last A Mount holdouts to upgrade to the a77mk3.  Perhaps if we see a Sony a7000 with say an amazing new 30 megapixel sensor, 6K video, IBIS, etc... then Sony would stuff the guts of that into an a77mk3 as a way to make a quick extra buck from their Sony a7000 R&D they've already done) Thus Nikon won't have the massive FX line up of D5/D810/D750/D610/DF it had once before in the past! We've already seen this narrow down soon to D6/D850/D780 (a cheap D630 won't ever happen, doubt they'll try again the DF experiment with F Mount).  They might keep 3 lines for another (loooong) generation, but eventually the D850/D780 lines will merge together, leaving only a Pro FX body and a cheaper "Serious Amatuer / Semi Pro" FX Body. Then in the final form, those two bodies will be merged into one single FX body as your only option left for FX F Mount buyers. 

• Super Members
1 hour ago, IronFilm said:

There are a *LOT* of DSLR users, and some are very conservative and will want to stick with the same system they have with their upgrades for as long as they can. Canikon will want to keep on sequeezing the last bits of juice from this money true as long as they can. (just look at see how much looooooonger the Sony A Mount dragged on than seemed at all reasonable!!! And the A Mount system had a far far smaller following than Canikon has, so Canikon has a bigger customer base to draw this out with)

Thus I bet we have at least a couple more generations left. (if not even more)

For the flagships, I think this is the last hurrah as the next squeezing target for Nikon and Canon will be the lenses.

Nikon will obviously be more than happy for me to buy the D6 but they're earning no additional revenue from me still using my 400mm f2.8 which will be 15 years old by the time a D7 would happen in 2023/24 and ditto for Canon sticking with EF.

Nikon's S line range for the Z cameras is rounding out now with the 14-24m and 70-200mm f2.8 lenses joining the 24-70mm f2.8 so they are now only a 400mm f2.8 and 600mm f4 away from overcoming the lens objections and in 2023/24 they will be looking towards us changing over the entire system rather than just the body.

They've sold us it all on vinyl and now they want to sell us it all again on CD.

And by that point, its difficult to see how the objections to shooting with mirrorless won't have been overcome.

Of course, Nikon still manufacture the F6 film SLR 16 years after its launch so you can never rule anything out and they might well still manufacture the D6 beyond 2023/24 too but I'd say that that is where new development will end.

2 hours ago, IronFilm said:

It is a damn pity that we don't see all mid range and up cameras with waveform, it is just software for them to add, it isn't impossible if they've got the spare CPU cycles and the desire to do it. 

Sadly is only on the Panasonic GH5/GH5S/S1H/S1(although I think the S1 requires a paid upgrade for WFM? Ditto G9 maybe? Not sure). 

Come on Fuji/Nikon/Sony/Canon!!!! Add waveforms. 

Yep, is bad that waveforms are not there but I did implement waveform in code and is quite cpu intensive. Even in Resolve if you are at the limit and you turn off waveforms you get better display fps.

• Super Members
57 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

For the flagships, I think this is the last hurrah as the next squeezing target for Nikon and Canon will be the lenses.

Nikon will obviously be more than happy for me to buy the D6 but they're earning no additional revenue from me still using my 400mm f2.8 which will be 15 years old by the time a D7 would happen in 2023/24 and ditto for Canon sticking with EF.

Well, that escalated quickly ;)

• “As you know, last year we launched the RF mount and EOS R system," said Richard Shepherd, pro product marketing senior manager at Canon Europe. "To date we’ve launched ten critically acclaimed lenses, and as it’s a new system we plan to continue this, launching more RF lenses while still fully supporting the EF lens system. And of course, should the market demand it, we are ready to create new EF lenses. But for now, our focus is on RF.”

https://www.digitalcameraworld.com/news/our-focus-is-on-rf-says-canon-no-new-ef-lenses-unless-market-demands-it

It doesn't mean that they'll stop making the existing EF lenses of course but it does suggest that its closed for ongoing development.

4 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

The sarcasm didn't go unnoticed. Lol. Weirdly, I never used an EVF when I shot mirrorless and most cameras that have these kind of specs, an EVF is an add on.

Anyway, my point was that the entire photography market is a niche market anyway and mirrorless didn't kill the DSLR, the smartphone did. So, at this point it's all about preference.

With that said, obviously I agree that DSLRs are dying a slow death and your most recent post from the Canon rep only enforces that.

Of course, with their patent filings, you'd think Canon was invested in EF for the next decade or more.

Now if my opinion mattered, Canon would release a video centric DSLR (or modular C100iii) with a hybrid OVF/EVF, an EF mount that shot a maximum of 2.5K internal raw with IBIS and DPAF. And why not, throw in an articulated screen.

26 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

It doesn't mean that they'll stop making the existing EF lenses of course but it does suggest that its closed for ongoing development.

That sucks, I was hoping an updated USM 50mm 1.4 With IS was on the horizon.

1 hour ago, barefoot_dp said:

I can't wait to hear all the (paid) reviewers dancing around without mentioning how impossible it is to edit the raw and how many hard drives they need.

The mantra, raw video for everybody, sounds great until you're searching for hard drive space to back up your files. I love raw, but it is not for everybody or every production. At least with the 1DXIII, there is a middle codec that the C200 was missing.

21 hours ago, crevice said:

Sony isn’t the one to beat. Sony have the worse video of the bunch. I think we are all giving Sony way too much credit - with their garbage 8 bit codec. They are dead last until their mythical A7s emerges from the belly of the Loch Ness monster.

<snip>something something Komodo something Komodo Komodo something Komodo </snip> then I believe the Komodo is going to be the one to beat at the sub 10k price range. 

Found it kinda funny how smoothly you went from talking about one mythical beast (the Sony a7Smk3) to discussing another mythical beast instead (Komodo). 

?

20 hours ago, Django said:

As this promo video showcases a perfect intended scenario:

The perfect intended scenario for 1D mk3 buyers is people who fool around with rich people's toy playthings? As I click the video and immediately see a Lambo

Yes, I can see indeed how such people would indeed be buying a 1Dmk3!

16 hours ago, Vision said:

when u say fullframe do u mean apsc? 

The traditionalists would say: YES!

The DSLR crowd says: Nope.