Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

• Administrators

Not sure about 1.3x? Same crop as 1D X II so more like 1.4x in DCI 4K and 1.5x in UHD

Shame no DPAF in the highest quality 60fps modes.

Does it work in 5K RAW at all? 24p?

So a bit crippled, but the main thing that cripples this camera is the DSLR form factor. We are way beyond it.

1D X II came out in 2016, and by 2019 was worth just £2500. So hopefully, many more of us can pick up the Mark III in 2022 or something used, when it will make more sense. I am not shelling out £5500+ for a DSLR and £1000 for some cards, no matter how good that codec is.

In the Leica SL2 I have 5 axis IBIS better than Sony, killer codec and colour science, amazing EVF, Leica's sleek body and minimalist controls, 4K/60p, 5.5K anamorphic and internal 10bit LOG for that price, and no need to buy expensive CF Express cards. When I need to dabble in 4K with autofocus, I can switch to A7R IV. Both these cameras shoot arguably better stills than the 1D X III although personally most of the time I am usually as happy with 20MP as I am with 60MP... Landscape shots and cropping benefit enormously from the higher resolution hybrid cameras.

And when I want 1800Mbit 4K RAW files, I turn to the bargain Sigma Fp.

It is good though that Canon seem now to be abandoning their 'lets piss off every video user all the time' strategy with their stills cameras. Bodes well for next EOS R.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
4 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

Not sure about 1.3x? Same crop as 1D X II so more like 1.4x in DCI 4K and 1.5x in UHD

So a bit crippled, but the main thing that cripples this camera is the DSLR form factor. We are way beyond it.

Durability though. Tough to beat with any other form factor. I lament most the fixed screen...

2 hours ago, Dunjoye said:

Canon as blown its competitors away with this one. 

I agree with Andrew... Canon is fighting the "previous wars" with this camera.  Within another year or sooner (probably within a few months), something else is going to eclipse it.  Canon needs to plan ahead and create a camera that will remain competitive for a longer time.... but of course, there's that darn EOS division they have to protect.  Other companies try and create cameras that they hope will be competitive for a long time.  Canon, not so much... cripple, cripple, cripple..  it use to be "make sure its not better than our REAL cinema cameras".. now it's "people are notice our crippling, we need money, so make sure it's equal or a tad bit better... so within a few months, we can release a better 'cinema' camera... muahahahahahah." I guess that is somewhat an improvement.  It still means they are crippling their cameras though.

• Administrators
3 minutes ago, eleison said:

I agree with Andrew... Canon is fighting the "previous wars" with this camera.

That is a good way to put it, and I stand corrected on the price because it is actually a rip off £6500 in the UK, not £5500

https://www.wexphotovideo.com/canon-eos-1d-x-mark-iii-digital-slr-camera-body-1727870/

That is eye watering in 2020 when you can get an S1 for £1700 or S1H for £3500.

So nice try Canon.

Come back when you have these video specs in a mirrorless camera for $2000 to rival Panasonic and Sony.

9 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Sony A7sIII will be the true wildcard. Could eclipse the 1DX on the video specs at half the price. 

Now that Canon's shown its cards, does anyone seriously think that Sony will have a 'hold my sake' moment and release something superior?  I dunno.

• Administrators
11 minutes ago, forofilms said:

Sony A7sIII will be the true wildcard. Could eclipse the 1DX on the video specs at half the price. 

And it's not all about specs of course...

Colour science, form factor, EVF, usability, menus...

Sony is improving in all these areas but biggest advantage they have now is the mirrorless form factor. I'd rather have a 1D X Mark III with an articulated screen, E-mount and smaller body than I would in the EF mount DSLR mould although I see why some people still enjoy that.

You can argue that even the larger mirrorless cams like S1 and S1H are unnecessarily bulky and heavy. I like the balance Sony has found with the A7R IV and improved body feel - larger grip, better dials and buttons.

Wow, never thought I'd praise a Sony for the ergonomics. Shame the menus and general screen / live-view operability is still shit. Who wants a focus magnification button in playback mode that crops in 1000% and you have to slowly wheel your way back out. Little stupid things like this that Sony still does and Canon does not.

Sony isn’t the one to beat. Sony have the worse video of the bunch. I think we are all giving Sony way too much credit - with their garbage 8 bit codec. They are dead last until their mythical A7s emerges from the belly of the Loch Ness monster.

I think the 1DX is for serious hybrid users - which there are a lot of. I don’t think there are any other cameras that come close to compete with it, in the context of hybrid. The S1 line doesn’t have the kind of autofocus to compete on the photo or video side - nor do they shoot RAW internal. The Sony A9 doesn’t have the kind of video specs to compete on the video side. 

Now, if you were to look at this strictly from a video perspective and you don’t shoot fast paced action stills - then I would agree with Andrew. I’d rather get a camera with a compressed RAW format more catered toward video. Though at that point I think we are all forgetting one camera in particular that is around this price range and that is the Komodo. I know Red is a sore subject and I know I have voiced my anger with them. But, if video is really all one wants and if the Komodo specs are actually what they claim at 16 stops of dynamic range, RF mount, autofocus, cfast cards, and red raw and all in a really small body - then I believe the Komodo is going to be the one to beat at the sub 10k price range. 

56 minutes ago, Andrew Reid said:

1D X II came out in 2016, and by 2019 was worth just £2500. So hopefully, many more of us can pick up the Mark III in 2022 or something used, when it will make more sense. I am not shelling out £5500+ for a DSLR and £1000 for some cards, no matter how good that codec is.

In the Leica SL2 I have 5 axis IBIS better than Sony, killer codec and colour science, amazing EVF, Leica's sleek body and minimalist controls, 4K/60p, 5.5K anamorphic and internal 10bit LOG for that price, and no need to buy expensive CF Express cards. When I need to dabble in 4K with autofocus, I can switch to A7R IV. Both these cameras shoot arguably better stills than the 1D X III although personally most of the time I am usually as happy with 20MP as I am with 60MP... Landscape shots and cropping benefit enormously from the higher resolution hybrid cameras.

And when I want 1800Mbit 4K RAW files, I turn to the bargain Sigma Fp.

It is good though that Canon seem now to be abandoning their 'lets piss off every video user all the time' strategy with their stills cameras. Bodes well for next EOS R.

If these two official canon source are correct DPAF works in 24, 25 and 30 fps in RAW

https://www.canon-europe.com/cameras/eos-1d-x-mark-iii/professional-filmmaking/

"Dual Pixel CMOS AF

When shooting video, Dual Pixel AF provides smooth focusing on objects selected by tapping the camera screen (or the screen of a smart device running the Canon Camera Connect app).* Faces and other objects can be tracked around the frame and the camera will smoothly re-focus to keep them sharp. You can even select which eye the focusing system should prioritise, or leave the camera to select the nearest to the camera.

* Dual Pixel AF operates in all modes except for none crop 4K or RAW at 60p/50p recording"

https://www.usa.canon.com/internet/portal/us/home/products/details/cameras/eos-dslr-and-mirrorless-cameras/dslr/eos-1d-x-mark-iii  under video spec there is the table that indicate that DPAF is not available only in 50 and 60 fps RAW.

Not sure I follow you buy a Leica SL2 + A7R IV + a Sigma Fp and you carry all 3 and you complain about the cost of a single Camera that cover most needs....

I brought the 1Dx II when it came out almost 4 years ago payed 6k usd + 800 usd of CFCards, now is worth around 2000 usd as I have 250k shutter actuations. So 1200 USD a year almost less that Adobe subscription ?  Others in these 4 years they brought A7s II then GH5 then SH1 and so on so at the end I bet that they have spent much more money that I did.

But again if I was a video only for the same price I would probably buy a C200. As I do tons of action photos too as you can see from my shutter count the 1Dx III is very compelling.
Still not so sure on the short term RAW workflow especially with Resolve. 

As for Sony they cannot even do FF 4k 60fps yet on the FX9.... and even when they will release the firmware it will have a crop... I doubt that a A7s III will do FF 4k 60fps with AF at 10bits but would be great if they achieve this.

As Andrew said few pages back, it's main gotcha is..it's a DSLR! Add the price tag to that and lack of IBIS and its clear this camera will remain niche despite its class-leading specs.

While I don't see this camera making many mirrorless shooters revert back to DSLR, I do think that it might be competing with similar price and much more expensive cinema cameras.

But yeah the main target is going to be hybrid action/sports shooters that need that durability, reliability, weather sealing, ergo, crazy AF/FPS that only a sports DSLR can bring ya.

As this promo video showcases a perfect intended scenario:

I think this camera simply echos that it is a TOOL for the job. I think the statement about it appealing to the YouTube crowd is fairly accurate. Your Peter McKinnon and wannabes will love this. For many this may be a great tool! For the artistic, cinema driven, I don’t think this is where we’ll want to spend our money. $6500k is in cinema territory. Great that we have so many “tools” to choose from these days!

I wish manufacturers would work to optimize a 4k camera instead of rushing to the 5.5k - 6k (or 8k) raw option that results in file sizes so gigantic that only large budget, fully-funded stuff would ever use them. I shoot 2-4 hours a day on my doc projects, so 2.6gbps just ain't gonna work. 

What modern camera can I use for 2k raw? I would use that for 65% of my work. It doesn't exist. And use 4k compressed raw or 10-bit 422 for everything else. Plus, give me 120fps in 10-bit 4k before 60fps in 6k raw. Or internal NDs.  Or so so many other features.

The S1H definitely comes the closest in the mirrorless/DSLR field. But sheesh, enough with the 6k raw. Give me 2k and 4k compressed raw at useable data rates with good audio, internal NDs, a new lens mount (Canon!).

• Administrators
2 hours ago, Dustin said:

I think this camera simply echos that it is a TOOL for the job. I think the statement about it appealing to the YouTube crowd is fairly accurate. Your Peter McKinnon and wannabes will love this. For many this may be a great tool! For the artistic, cinema driven, I don’t think this is where we’ll want to spend our money. $6500k is in cinema territory. Great that we have so many “tools” to choose from these days!

The only tool here is Peter McKinnon thinking he needs a 2400Mbit codec for YouTube vlogs.

On 1/6/2020 at 4:35 PM, Rinad Amir said:

Id say about 8k euro incl vat 

close

On 1/6/2020 at 4:55 PM, Django said:

all that rumour states is some shops in Japan have started taking pre-orders for 792,000JPY incl tax which roughly converts to 6.500 euros.

Not in Eu anyways , @Rinad Amir is right by the time you get your 1D u will shell around 8k and thats no lens included so around 10k up and runing before u can shoot 

https://cvp.com/product/canon-1dx-mk-

iii

7 hours ago, Andrew Reid said:

A7R IV is a contender for hybrid stills / video use. The stills side is beyond compare, 60 megapixels, cutting edge AF, large EVF and very good IBIS... 

IBIS in video is improved over A7III? Did not know that. 

As for the 1DX, some of the specs are utterly impressive, especially coming from Canon. It really is a great move. However I am far from buying it because it's $6.5K. Although even at $3K I would not buy it because:

- 1.5KG, thanks but no thanks 
- DSLR and its shortcomings especially in videos. Thanks, but no thanks. Are we in 2020?
- No IBIS. Well we must be in 2012.
- No AF in 4K60P FF. Literally the interesting spec for me is the 4K60p FF 10 bit which is amazing, but I shoot 90% video with AF on, so unfortunately that's a major deal breaker. 
- Couple of details like fixed screen

If they would have released some of those specs (4K60 FF 10 bits, with DPAF) in the EOS-R body, with IBIS, I would be all over it. 
Now Sony can do it with the A7SIII, releasing what I have asked for years here, a FF 4K60P 10 bit camera with great AF (sorry S1H) and IBIS in a decent form factor. If they don't then f*ck it, I am gonna shoot with iPhones now on :).

• Administrators
8 minutes ago, wolf33d said:

IBIS in video is improved over A7III? Did not know that.

No didn't say improved over A7 III. I am just continuing to call it very good IBIS, because that's what it is. That said it is not THE best. S1, S1H, S1R, Leica SL2, GH5, E-M1 II all have more effective IBIS. I can shoot handheld with 85mm F1.4 at 1/8 on the Leica SL2 and get pin sharp 46MP results.

I do like the A7R IV, just wish Sony would rip out the entire UI and start again. Their 2008 cameras were better. I should know. I own an A900! Should write a blog post about it. A900 was a joy to use. Responsive. No fuss. Superb menus and Minolta colour science.

The A7R IV for me will be my main E-mount camera and autofocus cam.

The Leica SL2 though will be my main filmmaking and manual focus lens camera, inc. anamorphic.

The S1H although amazing, lacks that Leica charm and minimalism. It's like a computer.

And Sony even doesn't know what charm is.

As for the 1DX, some of the specs are utterly impressive, especially coming from Canon. It really is a great move. However I am far from buying it because it's $6.5K. Although even at $3K I would not buy it because:

- 1.5KG, thanks but no thanks 
- DSLR and its shortcomings especially in videos. Thanks, but no thanks. Are we in 2020?
- No IBIS. Well we must be in 2012.
- No AF in 4K60P FF. Literally the interesting spec for me is the 4K60p FF 10 bit which is amazing, but I shoot 90% video with AF on, so unfortunately that's a major deal breaker. 
- Couple of details like fixed screen

If they would have released some of those specs (4K60 FF 10 bits, with DPAF) in the EOS-R body, with IBIS, I would be all over it. 
Now Sony can do it with the A7SIII, releasing what I have asked for years here, a FF 4K60P 10 bit camera with great AF (sorry S1H) and IBIS in a decent form factor. If they don't then f*ck it, I am gonna shoot with iPhones now on :).

I am sure the A7S III will be a monster on the specs sheet.

Looking forward to the new codec.

But like I said, it's no Leica.