Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

This is a solid offering from Canon. I will wait to see what the useable dynamic range is. Really surprised they offered internal RAW with DPAF at 24/30fps. Really the only downside of the RAW is the butt clenching file sizes, over 1Gbps...ouch. That's over 125MB/s. A $450 256GB CFExpress card will get you around 35 minutes of video.

I think it might even be higher than 1Gbps....

EDIT: yeah, 5.5K RAW 60fps 2.6Gbps.

You can probably thank RED for the absence of a compressed RAW format.

The coolest bit of new info to me is that the 4K h264/h265 supersamples from 5.5K.

This is the first time Canon doesn’t do a 1:1 readout for its 4K and means we are finally going to get a really sharp detailed 4K image.

It’s crazy because this camera will basically deliver an IQ that blows away the C200 and even the C300II.

I hope Canon will now unlock at least 10-bit on the C200 or they might have a problem selling them with this beast of a camera on the market. 

I myself am seriously considering parting with my C200 in favor of the 1DX3, although they’d probably make a mean combo.

2 hours ago, crevice said:

I do wish they offered their rawlite - these video files are going to be massive. Also very curious how much dynamic range this camera has for video.

This is RAW lite (as in the C200 and C500 2).  The 9mp for 4k on the c200 is 1gbs, the 16mp for 5.5k on the 1dx3 the corresponding 1.8 gbs.

Other than on the C200, 50/60p raw is not 10bit but also 12bit, meanig datarate is even higher at 2.6 gbs. 
Higher raw compression is probably not possible because of the red-patent...?

Pretty impressive camera. 

29 minutes ago, Michi said:

This is RAW lite (as in the C200 and C500 2).  The 9mp for 4k on the c200 is 1gbs, the 16mp for 5.5k on the 1dx3 the corresponding 1.8 gbs.

Other than on the C200, 50/60p raw is not 10bit but also 12bit, meanig datarate is even higher at 2.6 gbs. 
Higher raw compression is probably not possible because of the red-patent...?

Pretty impressive camera. 

You’re mistaken. This camera does not have rawlite. This is full on raw. It seems they are keeping rawlite on their cinema cameras. 

The product page and all articles say it’s full raw. Where as c500 and c200 product pages mention rawlite. Thought the container (crm) seems the same, nothing about this seems “lite”. 

22 minutes ago, crevice said:

You’re mistaken. This camera does not have rawlite. This is full on raw. It seems they are keeping rawlite on their cinema cameras. 

Maybe payed software upgrade is possible? 

The Mark III’s overall design has added significant extensions to its video recording capabilities. Recognizing that contemporary professional DSLR cameras have both 4K and HD video imaging that are invaluable as supporting B and C cameras on major movie and television productions, the EOS-1D X Mark III has the option of either the movie-centric 4K DCI production format or the television/web-centric 4K UHD production format, as well as the Full HD format. When used with a full-frame lens, the EOS-1D X Mark III has a menu selection that switches Image Sensor Readout modes between the following five motion imaging formats:

- 5.5K RAW Video with a 17.9 aspect ratio — at frame rates of 59.94 / 50 / 29.97 / 25 / 24 / 23.98 fps 2.

- 4K DCI (4096 x 2160) with 17:9 aspect ratio — with no cropping — at frame rates of 59.94 / 50 / 29.97 / 25 / 24 / 23.98 fps 3. 4K

- UHD (3840 x 2160) with 16:9 aspect ratio — with no cropping — at frame rates of 59.94 / 50 / 29.97 / 25 fps 4 4. 4K DCI (4096 x 2160) with 17:9 aspect ratio — having a 1.3x crop — at frame rates of 59.94 / 50 / 29.97 / 25 / 24 / 23.98 fps 5.

- Full HD (1920 x 1080) — with no cropping — at frame rates of 119.9 / 100 / 59.94 / 50 /29.97/ 25.0 fps

2 minutes ago, crevice said:

It is not canon raw lite but it uses some kind of size reduction 3 to 5x https://downloads.canon.com/nw/camera/products/eos/1d-x-mark-iii/resources/Canon_EOS_1DX_Mark_III_Video_White_Paper.pdf "While the bit rate reduction strategy used in the creation of the 5.5K RAW file format is very effective (reducing the file size by a factor between 3 and 5, depending upon the level of detail  in the scene and its temporal resolution), the recorded files are still quite large as shown in Table 2. "

C200 4k is 1Gbps, 1Dx III 5.5k is 1.8 Gbps so it is around 30% less efficient

4 minutes ago, crevice said:

I dont think so. Compare it it to the datarates of the c500 2 and the sigma fp (that has uncompressed raw):

sigma fp 4k 8bit 24p: 1.6 gbs

sigma fp 4k 12 bit 24p: 2.4 gbs

(those are the numbers Mr. Reid states in his review)

canon c500 2 5.9k 12bit 24p: 2.1 gbs

I just saw 50/60p drops to 10bit on the C500 2 too, so the 1dx 3 is canons only camera offering 12bit raw in 50/60p...

5 minutes ago, Michi said:

I dont think so. Compare it it to the datarates of the c500 2 and the sigma fp (that has uncompressed raw):

sigma fp 4k 8bit 24p: 1.6 gbs

sigma fp 4k 12 bit 24p: 2.4 gbs

(those are the numbers Mr. Reid states in his review)

canon c500 2 5.9k 12bit 24p: 2.1 gbs

I just saw 50/60p drops to 10bit on the C500 2 too, so the 1dx 3 is canons only camera offering 12bit raw in 50/60p...

I think gt3rs nailed it. It’s some sort of raw, but it’s not their rawlite. Even the newsshooter articles says they wish it had rawlite. 

From what I read so far

The pros:

-FF 5.5k 12bit RAW at 30fps with DPAF (60fps with no DPAF) and with 4k DCI 10bit 4:2:2 LOG proxy

-Oversampled FF 4K DCI or UHD at 30fps with DPAF (60fps with no DPAF) 10bit 4:2:2 LOG

-1.34 Cropped 4K DCI or UHD at 60fps with DPAF 10bit 4:2:2 LOG

-FHD 120fps with DPAF 10bit 4:2:2 LOG up to  470 Mbits/s (to be seen if the image quality is improved compared to 1Dx II)

-Various encoding format and bit rates, from lgop h264 8bit, h265 10bit LOG to RAW

-Focus peaking and assist

-Integrated wifi

-Video can be saved to two cards in parallel (exception is RAW that is saved in one card and a 4k up to 10bit proxy in the other one)

-Unlimited recording time (some sites reports that there is a limit and some not)

-Fully weather sealed with no fan

The cons:

-RAW format is not Canon Raw Lite so files are bigger ca. 30% more and the workflow maybe cumbersome especially at the beginning. Plugins should be available for Avid and FCPX. Resolve and Premiere?

-No DPAF in FF 50-60fps

-No EVF so no RF mount (would have been cool to use the RF ND adapter)

-No flip screen

-No waveform or zebra

-No audio at 120fps (not that I really care)

-Price should have been around 5.5k usd to match the resolution ?

The unknown:

Usable DR both in RAW and 10bit

Overall video quality

Rolling shutter FF and Crop

120fps FHD video quality

Sensitivity, they claim 1 stop more sensitivity, let see…

Overall much more than what I was expecting and not really typical Canon.

4 minutes ago, crevice said:

I think gt3rs nailed it. It’s some sort of raw, but it’s not their rawlite. Even the newsshooter articles says they wish it had rawlite. 

So they introduced a new raw-format too then?

I might be mistaken but the numbers seem more or less in line, don‘t they?

5.9k (19mp) = 2.1 gbs

5.5k (16mp) = 1.8 gbs 

4k (9mp) = 1 gbs 

3 minutes ago, Michi said:

But on the withe paper that I posted above they have a table with the max recording time per format that does not make sense if is 30min limit.

Let say 50% chane there is the 30 min limit

20 hours ago, gt3rs said:

To put some reality in to the crippling story, I really think that this time Canon did the max that was possible in a FF weather sealed fan less hybrid DSLR.
There is no other Full Frame camera < 10k usd that come close to these rumored specs

Kinefinity Mavo LF comes quite close to beng in that price bracket! At "only" two grand more than $10K, yet has more FPS. codecs, I/O, etc than the 1D mk3

Also you left of the Z Cam F6 which can do 6K @60fps & 4K @120fps, has ZRaw, and is sub $5K