Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Silenkiller said:

ugh now i cant decide if i wanna stick with panasonic s1rs or make the move to 1dxm3 and two eos r's..  FML

Stick with Panasonic, it is the cheaper/saner solution. 

I doubt you can have one truly compelling reason that can properly justify moving across. 

15 minutes ago, IronFilm said:

I doubt you can have one truly compelling reason that can properly justify moving across. 

truthfully i like the out of camera skin tones from canon the best out of any system. so that could potentially free up a lot of time in my workflow which has some nice value to me. pannys are only 8 bit, but i dont really see huge issues with 8 bit vs 10 bit for what im doing either. so really it comes down to the color science. i do like that IBIS in these s1r's though hot damn i never thought it would be so useful but sometimes its really nice to have. oh and the panasonics have a 15min 4k record limit before u have to start recording again so thats pretty annoying.

5 hours ago, Mokara said:

Probably because the amount of data the camera has to handle is too large. They don't do these things for no reason, it is usually because of limitations in the hardware.

Well, with stills the raw data is going into the buffer, so it does not impose a resource drain on DPAF. When the buffer is full the fps will drop by a lot. With video there is a constant requirement for compression (there is a 1:2 compression ratio for RAW as per Androidlad's specs), so there will be a difference.

It has unlimited buffer in RAW for stills. CRAW is also unlimited and is compressed. 

4 hours ago, IronFilm said:

- Colour science (allthough we need to wait for demo footage)
- Stills: If I compare still quality between canon, sony or panasonic. Canon easily wins (maybe also personal preference).
- RAW: internal RAW. not external prores raw which is not supported in Resolve. 

Allthough the 1DX is really big for a dslr type camera. But it could easily replace 2 or 3 camera's in my bag. 

- DPAF (slaughters Panasonics DFD AF)

- Native lens selection

7 hours ago, Robert Collins said:

IF the rumored specs are true, this looks to be a rather odd release from Canon. There doesnt appear to be any major improvement in the specs for stills - basically the same frame rate, resolution and processors as the 1DX mkii. 

There has been a bump in the video specs but the 1DX is inherently a flagship stills camera.

Nothing odd about it. If ain't broke don't fix it.

1D line has never been about resolution. And I'm pretty sure we're approaching mechanical limits for FPS. 

What does matter and has vastly improved in the Mark III is:

10-bit HEIF  (vs 8-bit JPG)

AF (28 times the resolution, almost 100% coverage, new deep learning AI tech, eye AF)

MF Peaking, Focus Guide

FPS (16 to 20 vs 14 to 16)

CFExpress  (five times the buffer depth)

Twice file transfer speed

..etc

This update is a lot more substantial than lets say the A9 II which rehashes the same sensor, AF system, burst rate.. and (8-bit) video specs!

1 hour ago, Django said:

- DPAF (slaughters Panasonics DFD AF)

- Native lens selection

Nothing odd about it. If ain't broke don't fix it.

1D line has never been about resolution. And I'm pretty sure we're approaching mechanical limits for FPS. 

What does matter and has vastly improved in the Mark III is:

10-bit HEIF  (vs 8-bit JPG)

AF (28 times the resolution, almost 100% coverage, new deep learning AI tech, eye AF)

MF Peaking, Focus Guide

FPS (16 to 20 vs 14 to 16)

CFExpress  (five times the buffer depth)

Twice file transfer speed

..etc

This update is a lot more substantial than lets say the A9 II which rehashes the same sensor, AF system, burst rate.. and (8-bit) video specs!

Also

- 20 fps fully silent with servo AF. In some occasions the 1Dx II is too loud for the environment.

- Integrated WiFi, the dongle is a real pita

- many choices of video bitrates

Curios to see:

120fps quality, hope is a bit improved although I doubt

4k FF quality

If it DPAF in 4k 60fps crop

If it can record video on two cards simultaneously

Rolling shutter in 5.4 and 4k and in electronic shutter

Unlimited recording time

5 hours ago, gt3rs said:

It has unlimited buffer in RAW for stills. CRAW is also unlimited and is compressed. 

The specs say the buffer is 1000 frames. That is a lot, but not unlimited. That corresponds to ~50 seconds at 20 fps, which is more than you will ever need shooting stills. After that you will be limited by whatever the file write rate is. To have unlimited raw stills at 20 fps you would need a card write speed of ~ 800 MB/s, and somehow I rather doubt that the camera is capable of doing that.

27 minutes ago, Mokara said:

The specs say the buffer is 1000 frames. That is a lot, but not unlimited. That corresponds to ~50 seconds at 20 fps, which is more than you will ever need shooting stills. After that you will be limited by whatever the file write rate is. To have unlimited raw stills at 20 fps you would need a card write speed of ~ 800 MB/s, and somehow I rather doubt that the camera is capable of doing that.

At 25 MB x 1000 frames = 25 GB Ram I really doubt that the camera has that amount of Ram.

You need around 500 MB/s for unlimited buffer and cfexpress can do 1400.....

To put some reality in to the crippling story, I really think that this time Canon did the max that was possible in a FF weather sealed fan less hybrid DSLR.
There is no other Full Frame camera < 10k usd that come close to these rumored specs

Full frame camera that can record internally  > 5k RAW 60fps + good video AF:

Canon C700 FF >33k usd  (only with optional codex recorder 7k >usd)

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Full frame camera that can record internally  > 5k RAW 60fps:

RED MONSTRO 8K VV >54K usd

Kinefinity Mavo LF >12k usd

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Canon 1Dx III 6.5k usd

Full frame camera that can record internally  > 5k RAW 30fps:

Sony VENICE  > 42k usd (only with optional recorder > 6k usd)

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Canon 1Dx III 6.5k usd

Full frame camera that can record internally  >= 4k RAW:

Sony VENICE  > 42k usd (only with optional recorder > 6k usd)

Canon C700 FF >33k usd  (only with optional codex recorder >7k usd)

Kinefinity Mavo LF 12k usd

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Canon 1Dx III 6.5k usd

Alexa Mini LF > 58k usd

Alexa LF > 98k usd

Full frame camera that can record internally  >= 4k 30fps 10bit 4:2:2 LOG + good video AF

Sony FX9 11k usd

Canon C700 FF >33k usd  

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Canon 1Dx III 6.5k usd

Full frame camera that can record internally  >= 4k 30fps 10bit 4:2:2 LOG

Sony VENICE  > 42k usd

Canon C700 FF >33k usd

Sony FX9 11k usd

Canon C500 II 16k usd

Canon 1Dx III 6.5k usd

Alexa Mini LF > 58k usd

Alexa LF > 98k usd

Panasonic SH1 4k usd

Naturally this is based on rumored spec and it just a spec comparison only, image quality, ease of use and job suitability is another story.

Again if you are video only a C200 or FX9 or C500 II is probably a better investment, for hybrid shooter like me it seem a huge upgrade from 1Dx II for video.

Then maybe in a week Sony announce the famous ready to launch since 2018 A7s III with 6k RAW at 60 fps with AF for 3.5k usd, but right now there is really nothing close.