Canon EOS 1D MKIII specs revealed

Trankilstef

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
10 hours ago, kaylee said:

u know what else doesn't have AF when recording raw? my 5D3 ?

Not bothered about raw. Plus it’s 2020.

When you don’t have a focus puller and you want shallow DOF on a gimbal in 4k60, and Canon obviously deliberately turn off DPAF in their blockbuster 10 bit video setting..... it’s typical typical Canon. Why oh why? 

Let’s get real which hybrid camera can do?:

FF internal RAW >= 4k at 60fps 
FF 4k 60fps
FF 4k 30fps with DPAF

Actually which cinema camera can do FF internal RAW > 4k and at what price? Without cooling fan and fully weather sealed?

The key question for me is how good is 4k FF (oversampled?) and if the crop 4k 60fps has DPAF

3 minutes ago, Dunjoye said:

You were never going to buy it regardless 

Honestly, probably not. I think the days of me spending that kinda money on cameras is gone, unless it made absolute sense. I still want the right kinda Canon but every single time, they omit something very important. 

Saying that, it’s still a strong video acquisition tool that I would try. I can’t help think the omission of DPAF in 4k60 is what most users of this video camera would want. Sports journalists? Wildlife? Absolutely. Big error. 

I find the overall specs pretty impressive, especially for an action/sports DSLR. 

But it's clear that at this price point & form factor, 95% of the people on this forum are outside the target audience.

If/When these specs trickle down to the Pro EOS R model with RF mount & IBIS, is when people here might take notice..

Btw... the only other hybrid cams that can do internal RAW are the BMPCC 4K/6K, both of which are crop sensors that can barely do stills and have zero AF & the Sigma FP, also a lousy stills shooter with no EVF and an AF so poor it makes Panasonic's DFD AF seem stellar.

Again no AF during RAW shooting seems a reasonable compromise imo (most pros shooting 5.4K RAW will be using manual cine lenses anyways). 

16 minutes ago, Django said:

If/When these specs trickle down to the Pro EOS R model with RF mount & IBIS, is when people here might take notice. 

The way they've decided to limit this camera suggests that they will limit that camera even more. (IBIS adds more heat anyway)

Or they might not even bother releasing a lower megapixel R at all this year, keeping the R Mark II around 30-40 MP (8-bit internal codecs) and do a separate video-oriented model instead and get back to this one in 2021.

9 minutes ago, padam said:

The way they've decided to limit this camera suggests that they will limit that camera even more. (IBIS adds more heat anyway)

Or they might not even bother releasing a lower megapixel R at all this year, keeping the R Mark II around 30-40 MP (8-bit internal codecs) and do a separate video-oriented model instead and get back to this one in 2021.

Again I do not see many limitations to the 1DX3 aside from its price tag. 5.4K internal RAW is actually a first inside a FF hybrid. Just like when 1DX2 introduced 4K60p inside a DSLR in 2016.

As for the Pro EOS R, I believe that won't be EOS R MK2 but a much more expensive high-end model. 

They need to move those pricey RF L lenses, and if those are anything to go by I don't think Canon will go low on specs for their eventual flagship high-end model. 

7 minutes ago, Django said:

Again I do not see many limitations to the 1DX3 aside from its price tag. 5.4K internal RAW is actually a first inside a FF hybrid. Just like when 1DX2 introduced 4K60p inside a DSLR in 2016.

As for the Pro EOS R, I believe that won't be EOS R MK2 but a much more expensive high-end model. 

They need to move those pricey RF L lenses, and if those are anything to go by I don't think Canon will go low on specs for their eventual flagship high-end model. 

I am not saying it has many limitations, but taking away 4k60p AF is there to protect the cinema line. And it is going to continue with the flagship R stills camera as well in one way or another, which will probably be cheaper than the 1DX III, therefore more limited in terms of available options.

Yes they want to move RF lenses and they will do that also by releasing RF-mount cinema cameras as well.

I still don‘t understand why anybody shooting videos would spend 6.5k for this dslr if there are the C200, the EVA1, the FS7 in the same price range. Want full frame? add 3k and get the FX9. 
want full frame raw? Your „established“ alternatives (red and arri) are at least 50k $ more expensive and don‘t offer any AF at all... compared to those even the C500 2 looks like a good deal. 
considering that, i don‘t quite understand how the 1dx 3 can make some people so angry. It is still mainly a dslr optimized for photography... 

1 hour ago, Michi said:

I still don‘t understand why anybody shooting videos would spend 6.5k for this dslr if there are the C200, the EVA1, the FS7 in the same price range. Want full frame? add 3k and get the FX9. 

Simple: none of those cine cams can shoot stills. 1DX3 is for hybrid shooters who are invested in Canon ecosystem and will be using it as a A/B cam. 

Besides, the C200 can't shoot 10-bit, and the EVA1/FS7 can't do internal RAW nor do they have DPAF. The FX9 is $4.5K extra and can't do internal RAW either.

So on the video level alone, the 1DX3 punches way above its weight/class despite what all the naysayers have to complain about it.

25 minutes ago, Django said:

Simple: none of those cine cams can shoot stills. 1DX3 is for hybrid shooters who are invested in Canon ecosystem and will be using it as a A/B cam. 

Besides, the C200 can't shoot 10-bit, and the EVA1/FS7 can't do internal RAW nor do they have DPAF. The FX9 is $4.5K extra and can't do internal RAW either.

So on the video level alone, the 1DX3 punches way above its weight/class despite what all the naysayers have to complain about it.

Fair enough, I didn‘t think of hybrid shooters. 
My main point was that for those shooting mainly video (and need good audio controls, nd filters etc.) there are better cameras in that price range imho. 
But sure: If i was a C500 2 shooter and had the budget, i‘d consider a 1dx 3 as a b-cam. 

Yep for video only a C200 is a better buy but best combination would be a C500 II + 1Dx III.

The 1Dx III can shoot stills at 20fps with DPAF 12 bit RAW.... I’m wondering if it would have been so impossible to do 24fps RAW with DPAF? At 60fps is probably too much but 24 is not so far off from 20.....

26 minutes ago, Django said:

I’m a C200 shooter and am considering 1DX3 as an A/B cam.

C200 can’t do 10-bit or FF.

Come to think about it the 1DX3 + Atomos V could probably replace my EOS R,  5D, C200 & FS7! ?

Are you doing projects where audio isn‘t crucial? Or have a sound-guy to handle that? 
As a one-man-band Audio is probably the main reason a DSLR/MILC could never fit my needs for an A-Cam... The C200 would remain my A-Cam even if I‘d get a 1dx3 for free... 

3 hours ago, Michi said:

Are you doing projects where audio isn‘t crucial? Or have a sound-guy to handle that? 
As a one-man-band Audio is probably the main reason a DSLR/MILC could never fit my needs for an A-Cam... The C200 would remain my A-Cam even if I‘d get a 1dx3 for free... 

I rarely shoot pro work as a one-man band these days so yeah I’ve got access to a sound operator whenever needed, other times a wireless lav system might suffice.

XLR inputs aren’t for me the main reason I use cine cams. Having multiple (SDI) video outs for director/recorders, proxy recording, ND filters, battery life, no limit recording times, in-camera LUT support, Paint tools, Cine EI etc are the types of features I’ve grown to rely on. 

Still I find it quite amazing you can now get 10-bit, 5.4K RAW video inside a FF hybrid stills camera. Wasn’t expecting it this soon in a Canon either.

14 hours ago, Oliver Daniel said:

Not bothered about raw. Plus it’s 2020.

When you don’t have a focus puller and you want shallow DOF on a gimbal in 4k60, and Canon obviously deliberately turn off DPAF in their blockbuster 10 bit video setting..... it’s typical typical Canon. Why oh why? 

Probably because the amount of data the camera has to handle is too large. They don't do these things for no reason, it is usually because of limitations in the hardware.

9 hours ago, gt3rs said:

Yep for video only a C200 is a better buy but best combination would be a C500 II + 1Dx III.

The 1Dx III can shoot stills at 20fps with DPAF 12 bit RAW.... I’m wondering if it would have been so impossible to do 24fps RAW with DPAF? At 60fps is probably too much but 24 is not so far off from 20.....

Well, with stills the raw data is going into the buffer, so it does not impose a resource drain on DPAF. When the buffer is full the fps will drop by a lot. With video there is a constant requirement for compression (there is a 1:2 compression ratio for RAW as per Androidlad's specs), so there will be a difference.

IF the rumored specs are true, this looks to be a rather odd release from Canon. There doesnt appear to be any major improvement in the specs for stills - basically the same frame rate, resolution and processors as the 1DX mkii. 

There has been a bump in the video specs but the 1DX is inherently a flagship stills camera.