Film Emulation v2 - Tutorial

Ryley K

A while back I posted a tutorial on film emulation and recreating halation and grain in a realistic way. I recently came out with a new video that goes over it in a better, more concise way.

I see quite a bit of people asking how to achieve the look of film and it's characteristics so hopefully this video can help them out!

A big thanks to the Lift, Gamma, Gain forums for figuring a lot of this out also feel free to share your results and download the PowerGrades I've provided on my website!

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Great job, I learnt a few cool tricks from this video.

And I've already shared it in another thread - I'm sorry!

@kye managed to post a short analysis of it, too.

May I ask how did you come up with this neat halation technique?
I used to rely on Resolve's "Edge Detect" OFX plugin every since I read about it on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/colorists/comments/9msxow/film_halation/?ref_source=embed&ref=share
All thanks to you, as well!

1 hour ago, heart0less said:

Great job, I learnt a few cool tricks from this video.

And I've already shared it in another thread - I'm sorry!

@kye managed to post a short analysis of it, too.

May I ask how did you come up with this neat halation technique?
I used to rely on Resolve's "Edge Detect" OFX plugin every since I read about it on reddit.
https://www.reddit.com/r/colorists/comments/9msxow/film_halation/?ref_source=embed&ref=share
All thanks to you, as well!

Hey! The original person who started the thread is Jason Bowdach. Some people posted different ways on achieving halation and I also had my own method that I've been using for some projects. My way was decent, but since the first tutorial I posted, I refined it and was actually going to make a new tutorial until Mattias Tomasi came up with a new way to do halation and Dominik Belancic made the PowerGrade to be used in Resolve. 

I found this method to be far better than my new way of doing it and decided to make the tutorial using this method with everything else I've learned previously. This was my second tutorial video ever, and I wanted it to be quick and simple. I didn't want to drag it out like the last one.

I hope that helps! Here's the original thread on this subject - 

https://liftgammagain.com/forum/index.php?threads/halation-and-gate-weave.13056/

• 6 months later...

Any thoughts on a glimmer or similar lens filtration glass for a halation effect? It seems to happen at very high contrast edges, and only on very bright light sources, up where there often isn’t much dynamic range/differentiation between bright and BRIGHT (if that makes sense).

Ive always thought if Tiffen were to do a low power red/pink glimmer glass, that might get awfully close.

1 hour ago, Caleb Genheimer said:

Any thoughts on a glimmer or similar lens filtration glass for a halation effect? It seems to happen at very high contrast edges, and only on very bright light sources, up where there often isn’t much dynamic range/differentiation between bright and BRIGHT (if that makes sense).

Ive always thought if Tiffen were to do a low power red/pink glimmer glass, that might get awfully close.

You can, but then you wouldn't be able to get the red/orange glow at all.

I though the same thing actually! Hopefully one day they can make it. It'd be a lot easier and look more organic.

8 hours ago, Ryley K said:

You can, but then you wouldn't be able to get the red/orange glow at all.

I though the same thing actually! Hopefully one day they can make it. It'd be a lot easier and look more organic.

Yes, I wouldn’t say any of their current offerings are quite close enough, but I think based on what I’ve seen is possible, they definitely could make a filter that got 80-90% of the way there.

The benefit of doing it optically is that the effect doesn’t rely on there being adequate digitized information present in the file. Digital still has limited dynamic range, and in all my attempts at emulating halation in post, I’ve run into that as a real issue. Once a light source is blown out/overexposed, there’s no way to determine in a technical sense how far blown it really is. But a good filter can pick up on that easily, and bloom that onto the high contrast areas of the captured image appropriately. That’s really been my main gripe with digital halation... either I don’t have hardly any, or turning it up makes it go everywhere. There’s very little differentiation.