Panasonic GM1 review - another pocket cinema camera

Andrew Reid

Every time I get the itch to acquire an OG Blackmagic Pocket Cinema Camera I decide that a GM1 or GM5 would be a much more sound purchase. I have never been able to find either of these cameras, used, for what I would consider a decent price. Three weeks ago the sweet little thing below popped up at a more than reasonable price and I snagged it quickly. It's essentially brand new. The kit lens was never even taken off. I bought a 20mm pancake for it and have been using it for stills ever since. At first I didn't like the blue but I've grown to like to look of it. This thing is quite an engineering marvel and it would be amazing to see a 4k version from Panasonic sooner than later.

GM1.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
15 hours ago, billdoubleu said:

This thing is quite an engineering marvel and it would be amazing to see a 4k version from Panasonic sooner than later.

The pretty small GX800/GX850 & GX880 do have 4k video capability at 24/30p (& 25p for GX800), limited to 5 minute clips (20 minutes for 1080 60p, I think). There is no manual exposure control for normal video but you can use the 'Flkr Decrease' menu setting to fix video the shutter speed to 1/120, 1/100, 1/60 or 1/50.

However '4k photo' mode gives you video with full exposure control - but it's 4k30p only...

No viewfinder but you do get a flip-up screen. 

I own a (silver) GX800 - it's rather plasticky feeling but it works well enough (and at least it doesn't have the IBIS noise interference onto the audio that the - otherwise superior but larger - GX80/GX85 suffers from).

On 4/9/2023 at 6:39 PM, ac6000cw said:

The pretty small GX800/GX850 & GX880 do have 4k video capability at 24/30p (& 25p for GX800), limited to 5 minute clips (20 minutes for 1080 60p, I think). There is no manual exposure control for normal video but you can use the 'Flkr Decrease' menu setting to fix video the shutter speed to 1/120, 1/100, 1/60 or 1/50.

However '4k photo' mode gives you video with full exposure control - but it's 4k30p only...

No viewfinder but you do get a flip-up screen. 

I own a (silver) GX800 - it's rather plasticky feeling but it works well enough (and at least it doesn't have the IBIS noise interference onto the audio that the - otherwise superior but larger - GX80/GX85 suffers from).

I have a gx800 that I dropped and now the screen doesn't work at all. Today, I figured out how to connect via wifi and use it with my phone. I just shoot in 4k photo mode with everything locked in, including with tripod. The overheating is a serious handicap, but when you think of how long you'd get with film, it's not so bad. Still a good choice for distance shots or a crash cam. I really wish they'd make a new version of it with better thermals and full-sensor readout with PDAF and a mic jack... it would be a winner.

12 hours ago, ac6000cw said:

Isn't that an OM-5 😉🙂

I had the E-M5 iii, which is about the same and it was great, but a little too big. I think it's more of a "one and done" type camera, great at everything. I've moved on from that and now I have my "does everything camera" and a "small as you can get camera". The GX800 is 270g and the OM-5 is 414g, but it has everything. On the OM-5, I don't want an EVF, but it gives tonnes of value for only 144g and a little bulk. I almost prefer the EP-7 at only 337g (but still has bulk). One reason I've moved away from Olympus is that I find Panasonic and Olympus hard to match in post. Then again, even some Panasonic cameras are hard to match.