I need a tech insight!!

hidalgoserra

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

CGI is the key to create videos that look so artificial, clinical and lack soul and liveliness. 

However this is very fascinating and I like it from time to time but in the end it is just not touching like film in my opinion. Remember: We are enliven beings and our brains think analogue! That is why I love making film. Watching a projected film is different.

Damned, I am old...  :o  :)

Cgi?

what i mean is actually stricly related to the "mood" of the movie, wich honestly i dont agree to be liveliness, but of course that goes into the realm of personal taste, actually this reminds me really much of the 80's movies, this saturated "clinical"  image, clean, but very rough at the same time. 

Maybe i have not understand totally yourmention about cgi, but this look its very analogic to me and i was curious to understand what lenses might have being used vs camera.

Sorry, hidalgoserra for getting OT! As I said this is an exciting video and impressive work but I was also referring to the mentioned car-commercials which are entirely cgi. And maybe there is something wrong with my screen but to my eyes this clip is not very saturated.

Ben Hur is saturated. This looks closer to Matrix for my old eyes ;)

This music video is as digital as it gets: captured probably on Red (?) and edited to the brim in Flint, Flame, Inferno (cgi Softimage or whatever - I don't know anything about all this stuff) But still great work and very impressive: 

Hi hidalgoserra,
Amazing video. Very weird, very French, thanks for sharing All pure speculation, but I would agree and say probably Red Epic, although the slightly washed out colours are indicative of the Arri Alexa. Lens wise, very hard to say. Except that they seem to be quite wide and incredibly sharp, maybe Master Primes.
I would say there are a mixture of techniques going on here. Lots of cleaver compositing, again I agree probably something high-end like Flame.
The cloned soldier shot is interesting, makes me think they may have used something like a Milo motion control unit to shoot the exact same shot over and over again. Either that or they are 3D models composited into the shot. Not sure how you would achieve it otherwise. (Unless they cloned actual humans)

I think the mood is set by the lighting which is very soft and almost shadowless

I am thinking KinoFlo plus extra diffusion.

The lenses look top end maybe Zeiss MP or SK Cine Xenons for gorgeous creamy bokeh

Also perspective is tamed so maybe a longer lens focal length choice  than normal

@Rudolf

yeah, i meant exactly the opposite, so almost black and white as you said  :D

@Chris

thanks for the tips i am only interested in what could be a speculation on theyre shooting lenses/cameras i know for sure what they used for the cgi as i am a 3d generalist myself and i know people who have worked on the 3d on the video.

@John

thank you man, i was needing preciselly some info on lighting impressions.

The look ain't that far from the style of some still photos I shot for a client a few years ago:

'> - Sky was cloudy that day, basically like a large softbox of light. I added a little bit harsher light with a flash (maybe even two flashes) from below left.

The #1 key to this look is to contol the light. For this certain look you'd also want a high resolution camera + lenses, preferrably raw files for post work (or possibly 10-bit prores).

If you have a raw capable stills camera, take a friend of yours and light him either with a photo flash or some other kinds of lights. I think you'll get close to the look with a bit of experimenting. If you get the mood with a still photo, you'll know how to light it for a film as well.

• 2 weeks later...