Small setups w/ vintage projection lens

Chamsom

Anyone here have a simple vintage anamorphic adapter setup without rails/rig etc? The more basic, the better. 

This looks like a minimum setup to even be usable, and it's a lot to carry around:

Helios 44-2 === Back Clamp === ISCO Ultrastar === SLR Magic Rangefinder === ND Filter 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

There's quite a few ways to go lightweight, but you didn't mention what sensor size you are going for :) The Aivascope that @heart0less linked you to is an awesome, single-focus 1.5x for fullframe.  It does not need a focusser, but imho it does need support, because it is rather heavy on the taking lens at around 700 gramms. But Aivascope also makes a smaller scope, for smaller sensors.

Here's mine for instance : GH5 > speedbooster > Nikon 50mm 1.8 pancake > Aivascope 1.75x v2 > ProtoDNA. Quite lightweight, does without rails. (see attached picture)

This gives me perfect 2.40:1 when desqueezing opengate 4:3.

Then again when you go vintage scopes there is quite a lot of choice :

• Baby Hypergonar (the 1.75x aivascope is a modern take on that one
  • Yashica Scope (a cute small 1.5x one, which i would double focus)
  • Bolex 8/19 (1.5x bolex flare goodness, one of my favorite baby scopes)
  • Baby Kowa (2x, even more elusive than the Bolex)

So you can go for light and small scopes, especially if you stick to m43 or s35 sensor sizes ... but it might take a year or 2 to hunt some baby scopes down... and you better have deep pockets.

61353252_10156074248712624_2057005411675930624_o.jpg

Thanks for the great feedback to both of you. I think 1.5x would be an ok compromise if I could get the setup put together at the right price.

I am using an A6300 APS-C/super 35 sensor, probably upgrade to a used GH5 eventually to get 4:3.

@seku Why would you prefer double focus for any of the scenarios?

17 minutes ago, seku said:

The Yashica is a minuscule little thing, smaller than all other scopes i know off. i dont see myself mounting front clamps and a focusser on it :)

Good luck finding an affordable 1.5x tho. Even the 8/19 bolex is approaching 1k fast.

Someone just bought a baby hypogonar with chipped glass off Ebay for $1K lol. Beyond my budget though, might just give up on the small ones.

I noticed this "anamorphic market" is extremely narrow, there's a small group of buyers and sellers and it just seems to change hands. Many recommended lenses in 2014 are almost $2k or more now. 

agreed, it is getting more and more difficult to get a hold on some nice ones. I know i will be keeping mine for a long time.

But with makers like SLRMagic, Aivascope, and lately Sirui, it looks like there will be some affordable glass on the market. Albeit no small scopes (except the Aiva).

• 3 weeks later...
On 12/27/2019 at 12:42 PM, seku said:

There's quite a few ways to go lightweight, but you didn't mention what sensor size you are going for :) The Aivascope that @heart0less linked you to is an awesome, single-focus 1.5x for fullframe.  It does not need a focusser, but imho it does need support, because it is rather heavy on the taking lens at around 700 gramms. But Aivascope also makes a smaller scope, for smaller sensors.

Here's mine for instance : GH5 > speedbooster > Nikon 50mm 1.8 pancake > Aivascope 1.75x v2 > ProtoDNA. Quite lightweight, does without rails. (see attached picture)

This gives me perfect 2.40:1 when desqueezing opengate 4:3.

Then again when you go vintage scopes there is quite a lot of choice :

• Baby Hypergonar (the 1.75x aivascope is a modern take on that one
  • Yashica Scope (a cute small 1.5x one, which i would double focus)
  • Bolex 8/19 (1.5x bolex flare goodness, one of my favorite baby scopes)
  • Baby Kowa (2x, even more elusive than the Bolex)

So you can go for light and small scopes, especially if you stick to m43 or s35 sensor sizes ... but it might take a year or 2 to hunt some baby scopes down... and you better have deep pockets.

61353252_10156074248712624_2057005411675930624_o.jpg

@sekuDo you mind telling me where i can find this small adjustable clamp? 

On 12/29/2019 at 9:03 AM, Justin Bacle said:

Here you go, 

My smallest yet.

Canon 50D + Voigtlander 50/2.8 (DKL mount) + YashicaScope + Aivascope Focuser 8 ( + lots of adapters from china + rapido to have the yashicascope held properly)

IMG_20191229_150129.thumb.jpg.03f24eb19f453faa7cec53a56ed83219.jpgIMG_20191229_150124.thumb.jpg.22b5b9e5b66efdeb64b240fef580628c.jpg

Hey Justin, I have a few of those Rapido clamps laying around. I love to try the same thing with Bolex 8/19. How did you hold Yashica in place and have hood cover? What are your rings? Thats a Nikon spacer?