Your gear of the decade?

noone

Mine has to be the Sony A7s.    I have had a LOT of cameras this last decade (and a lot including old point and shoot cameras just this year).    I am now on my second A7s (my first broke after years of solid daily use but I was recently given a new one by my family).      After being without one for a year or so, I appreciate being able to put pretty much any lens on it and simply walk out the door and shoot it at any time of the day or night.

I do not need a huge pixel count or tracking AF but being able to put the ISO on auto (currently max 25600) and not worry is wonderful...with almost every other digital camera I have had (A7, GX7, 7D, Nex3N. several Pentaxes a  couple of Olympus digital ILCs, a Nikon and more as well as many P&S, i HAVE had to worry about the max ISO (A7 was almost worry free for me) and in some cases, simply not shoot at night without flash (or light for video).

It isn't JUST having decent high ISO, it is the dynamic range that goes with it too.    The A7s is stilly pretty good for DR at base (still equal or better to ANY M43 and most APSC and many other FF cameras but it does not drop away anywhere ear as steeply as other cameras (I have some cameras that are about the same at their base as the A7s is at ISO 12800).

I am also finding that simple things like the horizon level in the EVF (that does pitch as well) is a godsend for walking around.

Sure the camera has many flaws but the things it does, it does very well.

Your choice?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Olympus EM5II.  It did nothing exceptional but for the IBIS.  IQ?  Meh.  Good enough.  Colors?  Pretty good, but not Canon.  

Still, the thing is the compact size, the design of the camera, the ergos.  I just liked shooting with it.  Enjoyed it so much I wanted to take it with me wherever I went.  For me, it was a joy to use.  Haven't had a camera like that for decades.

I also have a warm spot in my heart for the GM1.  Weird little thing that was charming to use and shoot with.

Mine is my FS700.

Had it for six years and it's never skipped a beat. No other camera I've owned has given such longevity.

I feel as though 2020 is going to be an upgrade year but I just can't see any cameras at an affordable price range that are not going to be overtaken quickly. It feels as though we're on the precipice of a big leap in standard features; I imagine very soon 10-bit, 4k120, All-I, & super-sampling will establish themselves as commonplace and cameras like the C200, EVA-1 and FS5/7 will fall out of fashion.

Does it actually have to be a SINGLE camera???

If not, I would say a7 series of cameras for the reason that they proved to other manufacturers (Nikon, Canon, Panasonic) that full-frame mirrorless cameras could be popular / profitable .

Now, maybe if the a7 series hadn't been so popular Canon / Nikon / Panasonic would still have come up with FF mirrorless cameras. I just think they might have dragged their feet even longer.

As for my piece of gear that I actually USE myself, it would have to be my a6500 since it is what I use for paying the bills. 

Can be anything you want..lens, lights, memory card if that floats your boat.      Just curious about what people love

Things have come a LONG way with digital in a very short time.  I do not mind if you stretch the time line either.

My runner up was not designed this decade though just before but it was made this decade and I got in in this time too so it would be the Canon 17mm f4 L TS-E.     Everytime I see a building leaning back now, I cringe. and it plays very nicely with the A7s as a bonus.

Ok, thanks for the clarification.

If I was going to make a runner-up for a "general" item, I guess maybe Sigma Art Lenses? I know that people love them (I don't own any though), and they have probably helped to force the major camera makers to be more competitive with their own offerings.

Of course, Arri Alexa might fit in there as well since it has been such a workhorse for so many indie movies (not zero budget ones of course). And it has also set the "gold standard" for image quality for all of us mirrorless shooters who are trying to make something look "cinematic."

For me it's the GH5.  Not perfect, but a real workhorse, and was really ahead of its time.  IBIS means I can shoot hand-held but not be limited to a hand-held look, 10-bit internal gives hugely flexible footage without having to have an external recorder, 4K60 and VFR up to 1080p180 are great, MFT mount makes adapting almost anything super easy, flippy screen and EVF are really useful, the list goes on...

That's my personal choice, but if I had to pick what was the most significant things in general then it would be the BMPCC and BMCC as I think they moved the goal posts forward by an enormous margin and much of the features we all enjoy today were inspired by that shift, as camera manufacturers have historically been very traditional and reluctant to give anything except the smallest improvement possible on newer models and this shook up the industry a bit and showed there is room for new players to be profitable and innovative.

c'mon guys, pics or it didn't happen ?

my favorite would of course be the bmd p4k. My first cinema camera, seeing as i haven't had ten other cameras to compare it to, i cant really complain about it. Anyway i am pleased with the results i get with it. Of course canon have to get a mention but i think its magic lantern that should get some kudos's for making canons more usable.

p4krail.jpg

My NX1 is by far my favorite.  It's like Samsung reached into the future and brought that camera back.  Paired with the 'S' Lenses it can go toe-to-toe with any camera on he market today.  The level of detail is astonishing.  When I deliver at 1080p my clients are amazed at the quality.   Have not been blown away by any camera yet and will continue to use my NX1 for video.  A7III video is good but nowhere near the NX1 so it's been relegated to stills & B-CAM.  

40 minutes ago, leslie said:

c'mon guys, pics or it didn't happen ?

well, ok, just a few....

You can adapt almost anything:

IMG_3458.thumb.jpg.55f59709f48a18349664b482bfd8187e.jpg

It's flexible

IMG_3564.thumb.jpg.7cc379de5d2ed97771bfa261b5a71959.jpgIMG_3794.thumb.JPG.ebec98f94757e694497398de151f1dc6.JPG

Portable - this is my dual camera setup for travel - pic taken on my towel on my lap in the tour bus doing 80kmh on the beach...

BDDCF575-0145-412E-9892-E049A3D1EDE7.thumb.jpeg.2e45a0e4d167826b0623354530df0ffa.jpeg

and the files are crazy gradable - for example if we take this image here and try to break it we basically can't do it....

2108838446_ScreenShot2019-01-09at5_30_02pm.png.d1e7031da3a5cb75fdaaf0b292505467.png401776957_ScreenShot2019-01-09at5_30_55pm.png.4d24ba96b5062625c73873217d8e23c9.png

which means you're free to make whatever images you want..

Japan1_1_24.1.thumb.jpg.76f570972289a7753248fc26c5f061c9.jpgJapan6_1_86.1.thumb.jpg.4919101d3460765cad18a2ff0d2475fc.jpgJapan8_1_88.1.thumb.jpg.1fbe8bdc80e5a5f36d562345e0bd85b3.jpgSunset2-1s.thumb.jpg.f541bad6627c3ad43b98b67fba0089d4.jpg

I think it's unanimous it is the MFT format. If we are back to larger sensor size today on mirrorless devices, we all found them starting there. Reflex cameras will become past sooner than any fair guess because of it.

On the other end, the miniaturization coupled to the technology able how to offer steady shots the lighter the better will bring drones and smartphones to surprisingly (or maybe not so much) both match HDR and low lighting in the decade to come.

- E.

Easy,  I'm choosing the original BMD Cinema Camera 2.5K

Was groundbreaking for its price and quality. First camera with raw for anywhere near that price point. And was the entry of BMD into the camera market, who are now major player, which makes the BMCC 2.5K especially notable. 

I'm a lenses guy, so that's got to be it for me. The Samsung NX 16-50mm f/2-2.8 S was one of those lenses this decade, but I actually never used the lens or system. I do have the Sigma 18-35mm f/1.8, but as a MFT shooter, having to use it with focal reducers (for Nikon, due mechanical aperture operation making for cheaper adapters) and it then being an all manual and bulky setup... not the most ideal. Since, there's been another unicorn... the Leica 10-25mm f/1.7 and that's gotta take the no.1 spot for me.