A 41MP Olympus Mirrorless Camera will be Announced Soon

androidlad

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
2 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

Exciting if they can pull off clean ISO 25 41MP stills. Looks to be a very photo-centric sensor design and processing. I wonder if this will be the EM1 Mark 3 or a high resolution variant.

Will at least quiet the low megapixel complaints of MFT. That leaves lowlight performance.

Although it does begin to raise the question of how many pixels on a smaller sensor is too much. The diffraction limit on a 41mp M43 sensor is f4.6.

15 hours ago, androidlad said:

If my sources are correct, Olympus will soon announce a 41MP MFT mirrorless camera using a variant of this sensor:

IMX492.thumb.jpg.df6722caac60f667a100295e7b5a1453.jpg

There will be 164MP high-res mode and ultra-low ISO25 mode.

'High-sensitivity', 'low power consumption' and 'variable-speed shutter function', seem to be the the take away here.

So I guess we should expect much better low light, lots of new functions necessary in low power consumption devices like smartphones, some manner of HDR for photo (and video?) like on smartphones. Interesting. 

Though it doesn't seem to have 14-bit RAW photo, which I was hoping M43 moves towards. 

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

I guess we might expect the same sensor for GH6. What video modes does it support besides 8k 24p?

You may be right. The GH6 may do either 6k or 8k. I am guessing it would be 6k, because 8k may be too large a jump (too much of processing power and also may lose out on much better low light). Hopefully 4k at 120fps too. Though I wonder how good or bad the rolling shutter would be. 

33 minutes ago, sanveer said:

You may be right. The GH6 may do either 6k or 8k. I am guessing it would be 6k, because 8k may be too large a jump (too much of processing power and also may lose out on much better low light). Hopefully 4k at 120fps too. Though I wonder how good or bad the rolling shutter would be. 

All of this doesnt matter for me if they dont add PDAF. They can go 16k or whatever. I am fine with 4k6010bit internal, but bring me PDAF, built-in ND and more DR. 

1 hour ago, Amazeballs said:

All of this doesnt matter for me if they dont add PDAF. They can go 16k or whatever. I am fine with 4k6010bit internal, but bring me PDAF, built-in ND and more DR. 

I agree. DFD is absolute rubbish, especially with the lack of a ToF and Laser Focus. It can never replace PDAF, and in video the gap is even more apparent.

I also want atleast another stop and a half of dynamic range, in video. Built-in Electronic ND would be superb too. 

Ahh the G10.      My all time favourite point and shoot camera.     More control than many DSLRs or Mirrorless cameras, a tiny CCD sensor but at ISO 80 or 100 STILL takes photos competitive with many DSLRs (but rubbish much above that).     Video is very limited SD though.    Canon did this one quite well.....Keeping it as it was my late fathers oldest remaining camera.

Sorry, I could not resist.

If I can afford and find Pana  G10 , I might give it a go just for the name.

So, from perusing Wikipedia, it seems this is a backlit (Exmor R), but not stacked (Exmor RS) sensor, unlike the IMX594CQR, which is backlit plus stacked. Curious why Olympus would go with this one when there seems a better and otherwise very similar one, which Panasonic’s choosing, available. Also interesting that both these m4/3 sensors are listed for surveillance. Are Olympus and Panasonic going to be propped up - that is, there being enough volume to justify future sensors - by a completely separate market?

1 hour ago, Origami101 said:

So, from perusing Wikipedia, it seems this is a backlit (Exmor R), but not stacked (Exmor RS) sensor, unlike the IMX594CQR, which is backlit plus stacked. Curious why Olympus would go with this one when there seems a better and otherwise very similar one, which Panasonic’s choosing, available. Also interesting that both these m4/3 sensors are listed for surveillance. Are Olympus and Panasonic going to be propped up - that is, there being enough volume to justify future sensors - by a completely separate market?

Androidlad might have more information. A lot of the M43 sensors from Sony are under the STARVIS brand which is their lowlight surveillance/industrial brand sensors. The sensors than are tweaked for commercial cameras by either Sony or by request from other brands like Panasonic or Olympus.