David Lynch bringing Twin Peaks to VR

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

https://faroutmagazine.co.uk/david-lynch-twin-peaks-virtual-reality-computer-game/

Seems to be an escape room style game experience

Rather it was just a cinematic one where you watch!! Deeply immersive

not sure about the game part, but an exciting move from Lynch if he ends up deeply involved in making it.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Using the game model has hampered vr in my opinion. It would have been better had it launched as a blank slate with immersive storytelling as it's mission. Instead it got lured into the commercial space of gaming and overall titles became too gamified. 

Don't get me wrong - there are some fascinating experiences available, but i think the whole thing could have done with more mould - breaking, rather than trying to occupy the same shelf as games. 

16 hours ago, Mmmbeats said:

Using the game model has hampered vr in my opinion. It would have been better had it launched as a blank slate with immersive storytelling as it's mission. Instead it got lured into the commercial space of gaming and overall titles became too gamified. 

Don't get me wrong - there are some fascinating experiences available, but i think the whole thing could have done with more mould - breaking, rather than trying to occupy the same shelf as games. 

I agree. If all we knew of video games were choose-your-own-adventure movies, we wouldn't be so into video games.

One key area where I think video games and VR differ is that video games can present a realistic simulation of depth and physics that can be more exciting than the real thing–but with VR you have to reconcile the game space and game physics with real physics and real space, and teleportation mechanics are the best we've got but imo don't really cut it.

Unless someone comes up with a genius approach to locomotion, I think VR will only thrive when we figure out what the most interesting thing we can put in a small space is. And it might just be a lot of interesting interactive stuff (the Rick and Morty game is fun)–or it'll probably be other people. Like Skype but weird af. Or virtual office or virtual surgery, virtual manufacturing/remote piloting. Transporting people to other places.

And so, ironically, the least effective VR mechanic (teleportation) might become, in effect, what VR is actually/virtually used for.

Maybe the best locomotive mechanic is virtual VR helmets? I think they did this in Superhot VR, I'm not actually creative enough to come up with it. 

Superhot VR is amazing btw.

On 12/21/2019 at 8:09 PM, BTM_Pix said:

Crashed into a wall in my living room whilst fending off an attack when playing Superhot.

And never been happier.

wallet wizard do an ad, where some bloke smashes the tv while wearing vr, must have been based on you ?

as a young adult 15-17  i watched the whole series. Bit disturbing actually, it may account for some of my issues? i'll be honest and say i wouldn't watch it in vr