F0.74 - new Metabones Speed Boosters break boundaries

Andrew Reid

• Administrators

Today Metabones release two new Speed Boosters for Blackmagic shooters.

I've been using some demo samples for this special review and I'm absolutely stunned.

Metabones and Caldwell Optics have given us a Zeiss / Kubrick / NASA special! These adapters are completely new and purpose designed to fit only the Blackmagic cameras. Offering super bright apertures as fast as F0.74 and finally some great wide angle possibilities, I put both new adapters through their paces...

BMPCC Metabones Speed Booster

Read the full article here

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

Stellar results really impressive, quite jealous either one doesn't extend to the 18 x13.5 M43 sensors.  Hope an EOS to M43 speed booster comes out soon, wonder why the delay?  Seems like the EOS to M43 would be a  pretty fat adaptor with heaps of room.  Hopefully they are waiting to give us an extra special crop factor like the BMPCC version ;)

• Administrators

Wow. Pretty exciting ! What about Leica m glass? And, how insane would a Leica 50mm .095 be?

Leica M glass has a short back focus distance to the sensor and doesn't leave enough room for the Speed Booster optics. It would likely be impossible I'm afraid!

• Administrators

Is there a speed booster in order to use Canon EF lenses with my GH3?

I am a bit confused with the combinations....

No there isn't one yet. And you can't adapt EF lenses to a Nikon mount adapter, or Canon FD, Leica R, etc. Also EF lenses need electronic control of aperture, sometimes even focus.

To the person who asked about IS above - yes Metabones EF adapter for E-mount is active and lets you use IS. But there's no Micro Four Thirds version just yet.

Guest c2dd7b52878779b55f43cc8c269267c1

I'm a bit confused about the figures/science with the Speed Booster. Hopefully I can make my question clear ...

Does the super-wide aperture created by the Speed Booster actually translate to the new Sped Booster-created "larger" sensor? Or is the aperture relative to the original sensor size, coupled with a wider field of view?

Because putting 0.95 glass on a Super-16 sensor (e.g. Voigtlander on BMPCC, or any 0.95 with a regular adapter without any glass in it for that matter) is very different to putting a full-frame 0.95 lens on an APS-C sized sensor. Isn't it? In terms of DOF and low-light performance.

To use a random real-world example, if I were to put a Nikon 85mm f2.0 onto the BMPCC with the new Speedbooster, would it give about the same DOF result as an actual Nikon 50mm 1.2 on an actual APS-C sensor? Or would the DOF and increased low-light performance be tied to the original sensor size of the BMCC (just with a wider field of view)? 

Hope this makes sense.

In theory, the 0.64 and 0.58 factors also work for full-frame lenses on regular MFT sensors if I'm not mistaken. So it's a little disappointing that these Speed Boosters only work with the Blackmagics. But this is the case because the focal-reducing lens comes so very close to the sensor, right? Would have been cool to get nearly the full image circle of full frame lenses on a MFT camera.

I'm a bit confused about the figures/science with the Speed Booster. Hopefully I can make my question clear ...

Does the super-wide aperture created by the Speed Booster actually translate to the new Sped Booster-created "larger" sensor? Or is the aperture relative to the original sensor size, coupled with a wider field of view?

Because putting 0.95 glass on a Super-16 sensor (e.g. Voigtlander on BMPCC, or any 0.95 with a regular adapter without any glass in it for that matter) is very different to putting a full-frame 0.95 lens on an APS-C sized sensor. Isn't it? In terms of DOF and low-light performance.

To use a random real-world example, if I were to put a Nikon 85mm f2.0 onto the BMPCC with the new Speedbooster, would it give about the same DOF result as an actual Nikon 50mm 1.2 on an actual APS-C sensor? Or would the DOF and increased low-light performance be tied to the original sensor size of the BMCC (just with a wider field of view)? 

Hope this makes sense.

The Speed Booster doesn't really change the look of the lens. It shrinks the image circle, which mainly affects light gathering (density?) (and, of course, format coverage). The size of the bokeh relative to the image circle size doesn't change and the same should go for depth of field.

Your 85mm F2.0 becomes a 60mm F1.4 with a 0.71 Speed Booster. It doesn't become a 85mm F1.4, which would be a difference in bokeh and DOF.

Since the focal length and the aperture change by the same ratio, there is no change in DOF.

At least that's how I understand it.

Hey Andrew, really good news!

I've just been filming with the Pocket, using the combo of a Nikon 24mm f2.8 & Iscorama (makes it about a 48mm).

Its absolutely the perfect combo for a workable FOV & it seems that its the widest one can go with the Iscorama.

So the question is, will this combo still work with the new SpeedBooster on the BMPCC or will i be forced to use a less wide lens?