Good Lighting kit makes quite a difference

ntblowz

After using ok lighting  (672C and couple 500LED lights) for a few years I decided to step up lighting kit this year, first to the flexible lights like Falconeye RX18-TD and finally settled on Aputure C120D II, and result is quite a dramatic different, I think for the first time we got client ask us what "filters" we use so the photog's photo can have similar colour as our video lol  (and that was just a quick grade in Premiere).

I really wish i had done this lighting kit upgrade sooner. Definitely will make some of the videos we did much better ugh.

Light with Falconeye RX18TD: notice the subject is underexposed and background still overexposed, and the light gives a bit of magenta shift.

colograde 2.JPG

Lighting with Aputure C120D II on dome mini II, subject is well light and background is well exposed, skintone is pretty good with no colour shift.

indoor grading 2.PNG

Client asking what "filter" we use.

color grade email.jpg

Light setup for the day.

78244781_520255102037191_1295676059928231936_n.jpg

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, IronFilm said:

Please don't use a blimp indoors ?

And definitely don't use it indoors with a wookie condom on it!

The wookie condom has helped save my mics from a serious shafting by a wookie on heat. You never know when they will strike. There you are interviewing the CEO of some company and suddenly the sound goes all funny, muffled and scratchy at the same time...

1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

Lighting and Lenses is what makes shit look Hollywood.

"Camera choice is basically just the film stock." - William Wages ASC

Totally agree.

Although, considering that your comment about film stock is very relevant here and that's now the sensor and CS which means it's the camera too, I'd say it's Lighting, Lenses, and Camera (in that order!).

Of course, the full list is more like: Story, Acting, Sound, Lighting, Cinematography, Lenses, and then Camera (in that order!)

8 hours ago, Video Hummus said:

How do you like the 120DII with the mini dome? I always worried it wouldn’t be big enough to get that nice soft cast. 

It is not as soft as the light dome, but size is its biggest adventage when u shoot on location as sometimes there is just not enough space for light dome.  But if you mainly shoot on studio then light dome is definitely better in terms of full softness 

3 hours ago, ntblowz said:

It is not as soft as the light dome, but size is its biggest adventage when u shoot on location as sometimes there is just not enough space for light dome.  But if you mainly shoot on studio then light dome is definitely better in terms of full softness 

Even the light dome is too small for really soft light, well depends offcourse on what the subject is and how close you can move it in.  

2 hours ago, zerocool22 said:

Even the light dome is too small for really soft light, well depends offcourse on what the subject is and how close you can move it in.  

This is true, but I'm a big fan of the Light Dome for documentary lighting. I use it a lot in corporate spaces, and it means I can change locations and really quickly and easily. I use a light wand as a hair light, and a small LED as a fill (if needed, I prefer to get as much contrast as possible usually).