I did it wrong?

Dan Wake

hello, the last week I bought a 7D to start producing my own short films and docs. I wish  to ask you if I did the wrong buy. at the same price that I can buy the 7D used + VAF filter + fast CF for RAW video, there is the BMPCC. 

My fear with BMPCC were the crop factor, the toy look, the battery life and and the expansive lens to work with, but most of all were that one day if I sell it no one could be interested to buy it for a high price because this technology in in way of development and in two years maybe this product will be outdated. so I bought a 7D because it's also a DSLR and in two years if I sell it there will be alway photographers interested to buy it.

tell me if I did it wrong please. :)

bye! :)

p.s. also I wanted to take photos. (can BMPCC do it?)

(sorry for my bad english)

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

With the new SpeedBooster announced, then the Pocket's crop factor is certainly no longer a problem!

Also, the Pocket is certainly no "Toy" & no one has even come close to uttering that phrase when i've pulled it out of my bag.

In fact, most people just think it looks fantastic (a great bit of design, is the phrase used most) & when they see the images it produces, their jaw just drops!

Also, RAW produces Moire etc... like DSLR, whilst the ProRes is much more resiliant.

With the new SpeedBooster announced, then the Pocket's crop factor is certainly no longer a problem!

Also, the Pocket is certainly no "Toy" & no one has even come close to uttering that phrase when i've pulled it out of my bag.

In fact, most people just think it looks fantastic (a great bit of design, is the phrase used most) & when they see the images it produces, their jaw just drops!

Also, RAW produces Moire etc... like DSLR, whilst the ProRes is much more resiliant.

DSLR RAW videos with VAF filters mounted on does not produce moirè and aliasing, if speed booster will relase the EOS adapter it will be close to 35mm on APSC. RAW on canon's is 14bit. maybe offer a large dynamic range than BM 12bit. 

DSLR RAW videos with VAF filters mounted on does not produce moirè and aliasing, if speed booster will relase the EOS adapter it will be close to 35mm on APSC. RAW on canon's is 14bit. maybe offer a large dynamic range than BM 12bit. 

Yep, that's why i mentioned the moire in BM RAW.

However, the ProRes, as standard, really is v.good - so much so, that i really don't see the need for RAW on the Pocket (maybe wide landscape shots).

Also, in BM Pocket you get Full HD [continuous] Raw recording, no time limits but the card filling up & sound.

Having used ML RAW on my 60D, you do notice a little difference between 12 & 14, but really not enough to cry about.

Anyways, back to your original post - Did you make a mistake?

Probably not.

With the 7D you get a 2-in-1 camera: photos, some ML RAW & H264 (you can increase the bit rate with ML), all without Moire & Aliasing. Plenty of stuff has been shot on a 7D - part of Black Swan used a 7D (subway shots).

Your gut feeling told you to buy the 7D & there's always going to be that moment of "what if I bought this or that instead" - everyone goes through it.

Best cure - Go out & shoot something with it!

One tip - use a good Picture Style with it, I found VisionColor to be excellent.

Yep, that's why i mentioned the moire in BM RAW.

However, the ProRes, as standard, really is v.good - so much so, that i really don't see the need for RAW on the Pocket (maybe wide landscape shots).

Also, in BM Pocket you get Full HD [continuous] Raw recording, no time limits but the card filling up & sound.

Having used ML RAW on my 60D, you do notice a little difference between 12 & 14, but really not enough to cry about.

Anyways, back to your original post - Did you make a mistake?

Probably not.

With the 7D you get a 2-in-1 camera: photos, some ML RAW & H264 (you can increase the bit rate with ML), all without Moire & Aliasing. Plenty of stuff has been shot on a 7D - part of Black Swan used a 7D (subway shots).

Your gut feeling told you to buy the 7D & there's always going to be that moment of "what if I bought this or that instead" - everyone goes through it.

Best cure - Go out & shoot something with it!

One tip - use a good Picture Style with it, I found VisionColor to be excellent.

when could be useful increasing the bit rate with magic lantern? I saw vision color, thanks a lot for the tip it's really interesting. :)

tips I found some interesting free stuff, this color profile http://vision-color.com/deltavision/

and those packs http://vision-color.com/free-stuff/

this for RAW http://vision-color.com/visionlog/