Sony A7 III - Color and Lenses for “Beginner”

SRV1981

4 hours ago, SRV1981 said:

Would the 24-105 f4 be good enough for indoor and not well lit sport facilities to get my track kids running? 

the 24-105 has great distance and f4 is still enough bokeh/separation but can the ISO performance of the a7 iii make

up for the f4 aperture?

theres now way I can afford a 70-200 2.8 for being an enthusiast 

I just don't know if you are going to overcome the same low-light problems you had with your Fuji if you go with an f/4 lens on the a7 III.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

The Tamron 28-75 f2.8 seems like a potential better buy than the Sony 24-105 f4 for video and AF in photo?

It could be, but you are going to want fast AF, and I don't know if the Tamron lens is going to focus as fast as the Sony native lenses.

And is 28-75 going to give enough reach to you?

If 75mm is going to give enough reach to you, then maybe look at the 85mm f/1.8 and see if the AF is fast enough for you and if you can live with a fixed focal length range. I would ASSUME that the 85mm f/1.8 is going to have better AF than the tamron 28-75, but can't confirm either way.

12 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

Something ive been considering for a while.

But the 24 105 has like 50% more range, + OSS + and focus hold button. 

Maybe the 24-105 f4 for general/majority of shooting and an 85 Viltrox 1.8 for indoor low light sports etc?

1 minute ago, Dave Del Real said:

I have the 24-105, it's fantastic. Great all arounder.

Yeh my only concern is having a lens for indoor sports and low light conditions to reduce noise ...  What would you pair with that as a prime for sports etc?

1 minute ago, SRV1981 said:

Maybe the 24-105 f4 for general/majority of shooting and an 85 Viltrox 1.8 for indoor low light sports etc?

That sounds decent although I don't know how good the Viltrox is with video AF. The Sony FE 85mm F1.8 is pretty cheap and very good. 

That's lens i've used before but not for sports. Which is surprising as I'm a sports videographer myself. 

30 minutes ago, Mako Sports said:

That sounds decent although I don't know how good the Viltrox is with video AF. The Sony FE 85mm F1.8 is pretty cheap and very good. 

That's lens i've used before but not for sports. Which is surprising as I'm a sports videographer myself. 

Oh you could help me. I do have a limited budget. I recently shot on my XT2 at an indoor track 50-140 2.8. AF was slow, ISO at 6400 or up was grainy. 
I’m selling all my Fuji gear and switching to Sony a7iii. About 25-35% of my shooting is indoor gyms and athletic centers. Another 25% indoor homes. And the ref at outdoors. 

im almost fully sold on 24-105 f4 fo an all arounder but need a $1k ish or below solution for low light fast moving subjects like track athletes. 

13 minutes ago, SRV1981 said:

Oh you could help me. I do have a limited budget. I recently shot on my XT2 at an indoor track 50-140 2.8. AF was slow, ISO at 6400 or up was grainy. 
I’m selling all my Fuji gear and switching to Sony a7iii. About 25-35% of my shooting is indoor gyms and athletic centers. Another 25% indoor homes. And the ref at outdoors. 

im almost fully sold on 24-105 f4 fo an all arounder but need a $1k ish or below solution for low light fast moving subjects like track athletes. 

85 1.8 is the best overall option ~$500 roughly. Tamron is still working on the 70 - 180 F2.8 as well.

I prefer a tighter look personally so there is also the Zeiss Batis 135mm F2.8. If the 100mm STF and 135mm F1.8 GM were cheaper I'd recommend those. 

For Outdoor stuff I have the 70 300 FE currently but i'm moving to the 100 - 400mm GM by the end of the month. I use that lens on the A7iii and the FS5

Used it here 

6 hours ago, Mark Romero 2 said:

It could be, but you are going to want fast AF, and I don't know if the Tamron lens is going to focus as fast as the Sony native lenses.

And is 28-75 going to give enough reach to you?

If 75mm is going to give enough reach to you, then maybe look at the 85mm f/1.8 and see if the AF is fast enough for you and if you can live with a fixed focal length range. I would ASSUME that the 85mm f/1.8 is going to have better AF than the tamron 28-75, but can't confirm either way.

The Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is faster than the Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM

And also sharper in the middle at F2.8 vs F4 on the GM...

And half the price of the  24-105 F4.. which is an exceptional lens. I think it's the best 24-105 in the market right now.

I have the 28-75 and i love it.

28-75 seems great but 24-105 seems more usable as a focal length despite losing a stop. 

the sigma 135 paired with the 24-105 seems like good combo. Or would the 28-75 and 135 be better? Again using them on a7 iii for general family events indoors and out, documentaries, travel, and sports shooting low light indoor. 

10 hours ago, Deadcode said:

The Tamron 28-75 F2.8 is faster than the Sony 24-70 F2.8 GM

And also sharper in the middle at F2.8 vs F4 on the GM...

And half the price of the  24-105 F4.. which is an exceptional lens. I think it's the best 24-105 in the market right now.

I have the 28-75 and i love it.

Thanks for the feedback. Glad to hear the lens works well because I might get one.