Screw on ND Filters vs ND Fader, Stacking Filters, etc.

HockeyFan12

I should probably just get an ND fader, but I'm looking into other options too. 

With most cameras around base 800 ISO in log profiles, you'd need something like a 13 stop ND to shoot wide open on f1.4 lenses in broad daylight, or maybe my math is wrong. 

Anyway, absent an ND fader, that would normally mean 13 different ND filters. But I'm okay working in two-stop or even three-stop increments... 

What are the best affordable 10 stop NDs?

Something like this:

https://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1500970-REG/haida_hd4501_72_72mm_nanopro_nd_filter.html/?ap=y&ap=y&smp=y&smp=y&lsft=BI%3A514&gclid=EAIaIQobChMIrtme_o2x5gIVj4TICh20MwFMEAkYASABEgJU2fD_BwE

?

And are any of these thin enough that you can stack filters? If I could stack 1, 2, or 3 stop filters on top of those three that would be all I need....

Also worried about stacking diffusion (or polarizers) on top of that, I might want to shoot with Classic Softs, which have very thick filter rings. 

Well now I see why people buy matte boxes.

Or are there any really good ND faders? I worry about the polarization effects, still, even though I like most footage I see shot with them it concerns me still.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
1 hour ago, Mako Sports said:

strongly advocate for the use of fixed nds vs variable/faders. 

If you have the time/collection, always use a single filter to give you what your want.  Especially ND.

That said, I shoot run-and-gun and I use a variable ND.  It mucks with the sharpness of the image, but the trade off of being able to grab exposure in a split-second makes it worthwhile, imho.

Thanks,

I was tempted by the kit's lower price and figured I could stack. But 2, 4, 6 would make a lot more sense. 

Any brands that are affordable and good? I'm seeing surprisingly good reviews on those Haida NDs. I was disappointed in the Firecrest not being the neutral and B+W and X4 are too expensive.

10 stop is pretty useless for video maybe but could be fun....