Davinci Resolve Colouring Tutorial

mojo43

I posted a few clips from a shoot I was on in Guatemala on social and had a bunch of people ask me to show how I coloured one of the clips so I decided to put a quick tutorial together. Thought that I would share here in case anyone is interested. Doesn't seem to be that much on YT for Davinci Resolve.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
3 hours ago, mojo43 said:

I posted a few clips from a shoot I was on in Guatemala on social and had a bunch of people ask me to show how I coloured one of the clips so I decided to put a quick tutorial together. Thought that I would share here in case anyone is interested. Doesn't seem to be that much on YT for Davinci Resolve

I'll watch when I get home, but you're right about not so much on YT.  I started a thread about Resolve and colour grading just to collect resources so that we can share them - it's here:

@mojo43 watched the video - cool stuff!

It's definitely a striking result, and you explained it pretty well.  

Some thoughts if I may..  

• Yes, please make more videos showing your grades :) 
  • One thing I've noticed from other grading videos is that they start off by talking about the colour, but every time they touch a control they then explain what the control is and how to use it (literally things like which way to drag the mouse to change the value) and I find that really infuriating, so don't fall into the trap of over-explaining the tools (which you didn't)
  • How to use Resolve is covered by many many people, but what isn't covered is the art side of it, both from a perspective of talking about what you're seeing (eg, how to choose a good amount of contrast and what you're looking for) as well as from a perspective of why you want that much contrast and how that relates to the content of your film (eg, how colours link with the emotions of the characters, etc)

If you can talk about the art and not how to use each tool then you'll find yourself without that much competition, and the videos will be useful to people who already know how to drive the tools.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

On 12/13/2019 at 6:49 AM, kye said:

@mojo43 watched the video - cool stuff!

It's definitely a striking result, and you explained it pretty well.  

Some thoughts if I may..  

• Yes, please make more videos showing your grades :) 
  • One thing I've noticed from other grading videos is that they start off by talking about the colour, but every time they touch a control they then explain what the control is and how to use it (literally things like which way to drag the mouse to change the value) and I find that really infuriating, so don't fall into the trap of over-explaining the tools (which you didn't)
  • How to use Resolve is covered by many many people, but what isn't covered is the art side of it, both from a perspective of talking about what you're seeing (eg, how to choose a good amount of contrast and what you're looking for) as well as from a perspective of why you want that much contrast and how that relates to the content of your film (eg, how colours link with the emotions of the characters, etc)

If you can talk about the art and not how to use each tool then you'll find yourself without that much competition, and the videos will be useful to people who already know how to drive the tools.

I'm looking forward to the next one!

Thanks for the feedback Kye. I am assuming everyone is explaining the controls because they are explaining to newer users of resolve? Not sure... I definitely find that there is a lack of intermediate/expert information out there, but I guess that makes sense since they are working. Anyhow, I’ll probably put a few more of these out in the future. What I have learned over the years is that it takes a lot of time to learn something like colouring. Just doing it over and over helps you improve.