Adapting EF glass to Fuji X-Mount

EphraimP

I'm tearing my hair out here trying to figure out if there is an EF mount adapter that's worth buying for my X-T3. I have the 17-40 F4L; that range is covered by my Fuji 18-55 so wouldn't be worth adapting without a speed booster. I have a 70-200 F2.8 L USM that I absolutely love and would be the main target for adapting. And I have the wonderfully weird 180 3.5 L macro that I tried to get rid of but never could and am pretty happy I didn't, though I really never use the beast.

I know that the Fringer is the best for autofocus, but sounds like it's not good enough for video autofocus, so it's pretty expensive for just iris control. The Viltrox w/out speed booster gets pretty bad marks for iris control and awful marks for autofocus; I haven't heard if the speed booster version is any good. The FotodioX Vizelex ND Throttle Adapter sounds great, but doesn't have any iris control and it seems stupid to have a lens that only works wide open. I mean, bokeh is king and all, but what happens when you make the creative decision that you actually want some depth of field. The FotodioX with an aperture ring gets pretty crap reviews for adding vignetting and not depth of field.  The KIPON Baveyes speedbooster with the electronics might be good, but the first Baveyes I tried without electronics didn't even fit right, so I'm skeptical of Kipon.

So what have ya'll used and has success with? Should I just say screw it and invest in old Carl Z Jenna glass and Russian primes?

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

I have the Viltrox for my Fuji XT3, AF works like a charm on the 50mm 1.8, but seems to be terrible on 24-105. That said, I only tested the second lens in low light, so that could be playing a role in my success. Also, IS doesn't appear to work on the 24-105, but I may need to update the adapter...

I've not had it long, so can't comment on the quality of the glass, but for what I've seen it doesn't appear to be much of a factor for me.

EDIT: I also have Viltrox for MFT-EF and EOSm-EF and neither of those give me quality problems. 

@colepat Doesn't the 18-35 vignette with a booster?  

i have two villtrox adapters, so i'm either a fanboy or a cheapskate or all of the above ?

all my pentax m42's get mounted to a cheap ef adapter then to the viltox ef-m2. There is some small amount of play on both sides of the mount. If you shoot hand held it will probably annoy you.

i also have the viltrox mount adapter for nikon to m4/3 the aperture control seems to work ok if i turn the aperture to f22 on the nikon then the viltrox will control the nikon aperture. The villtrox nikon mount has the same amount of play

For what its worth i do like the foot on the viltrox ef speedbooster it has two screws to tighten it against the adapter. The nikon adapter has a thumbscrew setup and its a pain to tighten so the the camera doesn't move around.

I cant really say anything much about the optics. Mattias Burling did some tests with the speedbooster, he seemed quite happy with it. Which is part of the reason i got the viltrox over the other adapters and cost of course. I dont have any auto focus lenses so i have no experience in that regard which is of no help to you.

villtroxs.jpg

8 hours ago, Anaconda_ said:

I may need to update the adapter...

So I got home and updated and AF on the 24-105 is now pretty much perfect. But as far as I can tell the IS still isn't working. Does anyone know what the problem might be?

I know with the BMPCC4k older firmware on the Viltrox fixes the IS, where as newer firmware doesn't work... is there a similar tactic on the Fuji version? Maybe downgrade to a firmware from the same kind of time?

I have the Fringer Pro, the first version, there is a II version now available?

Hard to keep up, I have too many different bodies/mounts...

Anywho, the Fringer Pro works well with my Fuji X-T2, and all the AF lenses I have tried with it,
Canon 50/1.0L, and my Canon 200/1.8L, even my Conurus modified EOS mount Contax N 85/1.4

On 12/11/2019 at 9:34 PM, IronFilm said:

There is something to be said for buying Nikon F Mount glass ?

You should have mentioned something in 2016 when I bought these lenses for my 30D to shoot news, nature photos and local sports. ?

As it is, I'm looking to see what I can do with what I have. If I was investing in new glass, it would be native and/or cinema.

• 7 months later...

Just received the Viltrox EF-FX2.

Tried to use it with EF 24-70 L IS F4.0  on X-H1 but the IS of the lens is not working.

The adapter has the latest firmware version. 

I tried the workaround @colepat suggested and it worked for a second but after that it stoped working again.

Is there any other solution or is it better to send it back?

6 hours ago, Ty Harper said:

Wait, doesn't metabones have one, or one coming out soon? 

Yeah. Metabones just came out with one. I ordered it when I ordered an X-T4 last week. It's a special order, because they are not in stock everywhere yet. Still waiting.

18 hours ago, Stathman said:

Just received the Viltrox EF-FX2.

Tried to use it with EF 24-70 L IS F4.0  on X-H1 but the IS of the lens is not working.

The adapter has the latest firmware version. 

I tried the workaround @colepat suggested and it worked for a second but after that it stoped working again.

Is there any other solution or is it better to send it back?

Try some of the older firmware versions from the Viltrox site.

A few months ago I had an XH1 and the EFFX2 and couldn't even get the in-body stabilisation working when the adaptor connected. Not sure if they ever fixed it all with the XH1. I returned both in the end. I hope the viltrox adapter compatibility has improved now...

Apparently when you connect an OIS lens on the XT4 and EF-FX2, you only get the lens stabilisation and it turns IBIS off. Which sounds terrible, but I can easily enough avoid lens OIS I guess.

So all these people praising the Fringer for having great AF, none of them were actually talking about video? That's annoying.

Is anyone using the Viltrox speedbooster with an XT4? Interested to know how the IBIS works now. I've noticed strange differences in the feel of the IBIS on manual and adapted lenses vs native.

I'm still not sure myself which adapter to get. If the Fringer AF really isn't good enough for video, but the Viltrox AF is just about okay for stills then that's cool with me, especially as I get wider focal reduced lenses then which really helps (in a roundabout way, yes) the poor stabilisation with XT4 and makes it easier to keep in focus /deeper DoF effect than a longer focal length too.

Really hard to find good info about the Kipon Baveyes and I don't think I ever wanna spend what the Metabones costs, good as it sounds.