Problem With Samsung T5 Drive After Using It With iPad

BTM_Pix

46 minutes ago, BTM_Pix said:

To be fair, the Apple products are all working fine and its the Samsung one thats fucked.

I am not so sure that's the situation with my similar difficulty.  Apple's HFS+ file system does some crazy things and is notoriously delicate.

3 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

I'm tempted to just say "oh well its fucked" and throw it away after I've got everything off it but its spooking me a bit about whats happened.

Don't throw away the drive.  A Parted Magic torrent is free, and it takes about 15 minutes to download it, install it on a thumb drive and boot it on your Mac.  If it sees your T5 drive, you're set.

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • Super Members
5 minutes ago, tupp said:

Don't throw away the drive.  A Parted Magic torrent is free, and it takes about 15 minutes to download it, install it on a thumb drive and boot it on your Mac.  If it sees your T5 drive, you're set.

Yeah what I meant was that I'll look into a bit further when this time crunch has gone away as its not about this single drive (not now I've got the data off that I needed anyway ;) ) but about the T5s in general as I used quite a few of them so I want to get to the bottom of it to see what's caused it.

I think this is God's way of telling me to buy a Gnarbox if I want to edit on the iPad.

10 hours ago, BTM_Pix said:

To be fair, the Apple products are all working fine and its the Samsung one thats fucked.

Oh, tell a lie, its done its best to take the WD Wireless Pro drive with it now.

Although that thing is so flaky that trying to work out exactly whats caused it to not be currently working is like trying to establish which particular baked bean in the tin made you fart.

Unless it is a connection that is nearing the end of it's working life (which is probably what is happening in your case, hence why it works in some devices and not others), the problem is software related. And if it software related it is absolutely the fault of the OS.

1 hour ago, Mokara said:

Unless it is a connection that is nearing the end of it's working life (which is probably what is happening in your case, hence why it works in some devices and not others), the problem is software related. And if it software related it is absolutely the fault of the OS.

i have vague memories of being told to unmount usb drives and others devices before pulling the cable or device out when usb's first came out. Perhaps apple os are a bit more finicky regarding mounting and unmounting. i haven't had any issues with my samsung t5 yet, but learning from btm's dilemma in future i'll be a bit more careful even though i am on a pc.

• Super Members
2 hours ago, Mokara said:

Its had a shorter working life than a tube of toothpaste then if thats the case.

Yeah, Its far more likely to be software related in that the unmount from the Android device fixed it but without iOS having an unmount function that brings me no nearer a solution to knowing whether its the underlying OS, the new fangled File app in ipadOS or the integration with LumaFusion.

The whole situation with external file handling with the new iPadOS is very flaky and probably explains why they were so very reluctant to introduce it for so long.

Yeah I had high hopes for my Ipad pro. But it is still clumsy to get in and out, your T5 trouble is just not worth it.

Moreover, Apple's own Prores on Ipad seems centuries off, so now that I finally have my P4k, the Ipad pro is completely useless.

Luckily there are some nice games on it.

And facebook, if you are still into that.

The Ipad pro : a social doorstop or gaming presse papier. Can someone remind me what's pro about it ? Ah yes, it has the speed, we just need to find a way to use it.

Just relating my humble experience,

I've used my T5 on my ipad pro, not for editing, but for file transfers, to and from.

The first use, I pondered about how to perform a proper eject from the ipad, so I just always power the ipad off.

Been working okay for since a long time now.

Oh, I've done this many times for my family members iphones too.

On 12/11/2019 at 5:03 AM, BTM_Pix said:

Yeah what I meant was that I'll look into a bit further when this time crunch has gone away as its not about this single drive (not now I've got the data off that I needed anyway ;) ) but about the T5s in general as I used quite a few of them so I want to get to the bottom of it to see what's caused it.

I think this is God's way of telling me to buy a Gnarbox if I want to edit on the iPad.

I had a very similar problem with a T5 a couple of months ago (admittedly when ipadOS was in beta). Ipad wrote to the T5 but then neither my PC or laptop would recognize the drive. The data wasnt critical so I reformatted the drive and it was ok. Thought it might be an Apple/Windows problem.

The Gnarbox 2 is a great piece of kit by the way.

• Super Members
1 hour ago, Robert Collins said:

I had a very similar problem with a T5 a couple of months ago (admittedly when ipadOS was in beta). Ipad wrote to the T5 but then neither my PC or laptop would recognize the drive. The data wasnt critical so I reformatted the drive and it was ok. Thought it might be an Apple/Windows problem.

The Gnarbox 2 is a great piece of kit by the way.

Sounds like its definitely a thing then, although mine was an equal opportunities cock up as it wouldn't work on Mac either. 

Gnarbox 2 had been on the radar for a while but is now flashing the imminent collision warning!

7 hours ago, buggz said:

Just relating my humble experience,

I've used my T5 on my ipad pro, not for editing, but for file transfers, to and from.

The first use, I pondered about how to perform a proper eject from the ipad, so I just always power the ipad off.

Been working okay for since a long time now.

Oh, I've done this many times for my family members iphones too.

This one, amongst a few others, had been fine for me doing all that sort of interchange as well.

When I was trouble shooting it, I did go down that route of trying to see if shutting down the iPad with it connected would cause a safe ejection and solve it but to no avail but I'd definitely advise people doing that in the absence of Apple providing a specific eject function.

I'm wondering if Apple is planning on implementing an eject function in the future.  If you have the keyboard and hold down the command button, you see all the shortcuts, there is one for eject, but it does nothing at the moment.

I've had issues with drives early on in the iPad OS beta but nothing since then, I just unplug the drives BTW.

You might want to look at the following video ... in it the Rasp Pi 4 enables much more robust connections for the iPad Pro ... look at time 8:00 on as

sharing and backing up video files from multiple T5 drives is discussed. Sounds like a very portable small addition to obviate the need for a laptop

in many cases: