The computer you edit RAW files on

Ergo Zjeci

Hello,

Please can you be so kind people and share your computer specs/configs, so i can decide what should i go for, i am about to buy Canon 5D mk3 and use ML RAW.

( i do not want to go war between PCs vs MACs or Hackintosh )

Why i am asking this? Well this great community (tnx to Andrew) is dealing with most complex cameras and RAW files that comes out from the cameras and for post (computer) that means heavy load on HDDs and CPUs and GPU. 

What is your config? I am leaning more to PC with budget around 1000 -1500 Eur

so i have 2 configurations in cue.

Option 1 

CPU:Intel Core i7 4770 BOX procesor, Haswell
MOBO:ASUS Z87-PLUS, DDR3, SATA3, USB3, mini DP, LGA1150 ATX
RAM DDR3 16GB Kit (2x 8) PC3-12800 1600MHz CL9 Crucial Ballistix Sport
GPU:ASUS GFX R9 270X, 2GB GDDR5, PCI-E 3.0
SCRATCH: WD HDD 1TB 7200RPM 64MB 6GB/S BLUE
LG GH24NSB0 DVD-RW zapisovalnik, SATA, crn
CASE: Antec Three Hundred EU
POWER:Power Supply Silentpower LC6650GP3-650W V2.3

Price: 1000 EUR

Option 2

CPU Intel i7-4770K
CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro H100i
MOBO: Gigabyte Z87X-D3H 1150 Socket
GPU: Nvidia 7702GB EVGA ACX
PSU: Corsair HX750 750W
CASE: Fractal Design Define R4
Boot Drive: Corsair Force GS F240 240Gb SSD
SCRATCH:  Seagate 1TB 64MB CACHE SATA III
RAM : Corsair Vengance 8Gb 1600Mhz
Mouse : Roccat Kova 
FANS: Corsair AF (Airflow) 140mm Fans

Price 1500Eur

2 x Monitor LED 24" Dell UltraSharp U2412M

Price: 2 x 250 EUR

Programs to be used: Premiere, AE, SG, Davinci Resolve etc ..

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs

iMac 27 inch Late 2009 model
Processor: 2.8 GHz i7

Memory: 32 GB Ram 1333 DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

I cannot run Resolve on it but I have a newer Macbook Pro laptop that can...but I prefer to work in After Effects for now. It doesn't take me long to convert using RAWmagic and importing into After Effects to grade is not a problem either. I export in Proress in After Effects and edit in Premiere.  Pretty simple really and not that big of a hassle.  I will say that working in Resolve Lite is nice because you can bring in all the clips....apply a LUT and send them all to the render queue.  If Resolve is important I'd make sure you have a compatible graphics card and a good amount of ram.

2010 MacPro 2.93GHz 12-core 24GB RAM GT120 and Quadro 5000, Mercury SSDs, 7200 RPM drives- 5TB (+ external SATA cage 5TB, SATA 4 port drive cartridge system (stick bare drives in it for archival copying and storage offline)). Running in Win7 most of the time- faster, more stable (also boot into OSX). Runs Resolve well, PPro, AE etc. (CS6 and CC).

I'd double your GPU ram to 4GB. Have you looked at socket 2011 ivy bridge e? Consider one decent monitor that takes a 3D LUT than two poor ones and just pick up a cheap monitor for GUI. Then there's the whole SDI out not GPU, external LUT box etc.

can you be more specific on what GPU is that and how to tell my computer shop to this setup? do you know the price for that setup? Is the 3D lut for 3D? sorry for my noobnes and thank you for your help

2010 MacPro 2.93GHz 12-core 24GB RAM GT120 and Quadro 5000, Mercury SSDs, 7200 RPM drives- 5TB (+ external SATA cage 5TB, SATA 4 port drive cartridge system (stick bare drives in it for archival copying and storage offline)). Running in Win7 most of the time- faster, more stable (also boot into OSX). Runs Resolve well, PPro, AE etc. (CS6 and CC).

a lot of Power .. i can see here even if its 2010 model!!  i think this setup runs very smooth and i guess u put some money on it.

iMac 27 inch Late 2009 model
Processor: 2.8 GHz i7

Memory: 32 GB Ram 1333 DDR3
Graphics: ATI Radeon HD 4850 512 MB

I cannot run Resolve on it but I have a newer Macbook Pro laptop that can...but I prefer to work in After Effects for now. It doesn't take me long to convert using RAWmagic and importing into After Effects to grade is not a problem either. I export in Proress in After Effects and edit in Premiere.  Pretty simple really and not that big of a hassle.  I will say that working in Resolve Lite is nice because you can bring in all the clips....apply a LUT and send them all to the render queue.  If Resolve is important I'd make sure you have a compatible graphics card and a good amount of ram.

I was asking my Apple dealer shop for new Retina 15 (the one with pro GPU) i can get it for like 2.660 euro

can you be more specific on what GPU is that and how to tell my computer shop to this setup? do you know the price for that setup? Is the 3D lut for 3D? sorry for my noobnes and thank you for your help

NVidia GTX770 4GB any make, budget would be maybe a Zotac. Socket 2011 could be a Asus P9X79 Pro mobo which gives 2x 16x PCI-e 3.0, on a budget a basic quad core processor, 16GB or 32GB HyperX (4x 8GB sticks). Eizo CS series monitor + cheapo monitor for GUI / Scopes.

The SDI thing and 3D LUT box is a step too far really for budget.

Most important is GPU power with as much VRAM as you can afford 4GB really particularly if using any temporal filters, then 2nd importance is RAM, 16GB minimum, 32GB better, then least importance is processor, just used for encoding.

Personally I'd not waste cash on an 8 core or greater processor, on a SSD, on 2x mediocre Dell monitors, perhaps put that cash towards one decent entry level reference monitor like a Eizo CS range, or the CX range that'll take a 3D LUT, if you can afford it.

The iMac monitor is brighter and more punchy than a proper grading monitor. I use a second, flatter monitor with it.

id love to hear more about this

im going to be getting a new 27" imac and i assumed id need a second monitor for color (not to mention convenience)

recommendations welcome :) 

Eizo CS or CX as mentioned above.

Images look 'eye candy' on the iMac screen, but flatter and darker on my Eizo. You want a true representation for correct grading.

thanks a lot chrisso ill check them out

ive just barely started getting into what my options are for [FRUGAL but effective] cc monitiors ::sigh::

NVidia GTX770 4GB any make, budget would be maybe a Zotac. Socket 2011 could be a Asus P9X79 Pro mobo which gives 2x 16x PCI-e 3.0, on a budget a basic quad core processor, 16GB or 32GB HyperX (4x 8GB sticks). Eizo CS series monitor + cheapo monitor for GUI / Scopes.

The SDI thing and 3D LUT box is a step too far really for budget.

Most important is GPU power with as much VRAM as you can afford 4GB really particularly if using any temporal filters, then 2nd importance is RAM, 16GB minimum, 32GB better, then least importance is processor, just used for encoding.

Personally I'd not waste cash on an 8 core or greater processor, on a SSD, on 2x mediocre Dell monitors, perhaps put that cash towards one decent entry level reference monitor like a Eizo CS range, or the CX range that'll take a 3D LUT, if you can afford it.

Eizo are pretty expensive   for my range, and for ssd --> i am sure that i  need one for scratch at least ...

Yeah your right, but a reasonable grading monitor will be more expensive than a computer monitor, spending 500 euros on two mediocre Dells id over half towards a CX, which also appear to be on offer at the moment.

But yes a budget to work to is inevitable.