Vazen 40mm T2 1.8X anamorphic lens

kye

On 1/15/2020 at 9:24 PM, Caleb Genheimer said:

Their 28/40/65 already cover the format, they could just do a wider lens for 16mm specifically, and re-house the other three lenses in PL mount. 

PL however is too deep! Isn't a shallow lens mount like MFT is. 

EOSHD Pro Color 5 for Sony cameras EOSHD Z LOG for Nikon CamerasEOSHD C-LOG and Film Profiles for All Canon DSLRs
  • 1 month later...
On 4/6/2020 at 6:23 AM, kye said:

Well, this is impressive..

Not many anamorphics make me want the anamorphic look, but this one was a little different.  Great video.

I really wanted to like this video! The opening is super strong and the visuals are very nice. 

But as a lens review, he talks so little of it and has so little footage using it, it's disappointing. Lots of buildings and upshots of town that don't show any bokeh or the parallax he talked so much about. :(

Plus that "Blade Runner" grade ain't cool. :(

Am I going crazy here, or is that how you feel too?

2 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

+1

I wasn't quite sure, what I'm looking at - is it a short film, is it a review or what?
What's more, some funky user interface elements keep popping up.

And it lasts over 10 minutes.

I'm definitely not a fan of this production, even though I do enjoy some of his videos.

2 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

Yeah, it gets tiring really quickly.

9 hours ago, Tito Ferradans said:

I really wanted to like this video! The opening is super strong and the visuals are very nice. 

But as a lens review, he talks so little of it and has so little footage using it, it's disappointing. Lots of buildings and upshots of town that don't show any bokeh or the parallax he talked so much about. :(

I thought it was cool.

TBH I can barely watch equipment reviews any more as I find them too formulaic and too dull.  Yours are on the better end of that spectrum, along with presenters like Kai W who keeps things light and entertaining.

I'm coming from a different perspective.  I'm not 'in love' with the anamorphic look and I find it to be much more hype than substance.  Don't get me wrong, I absolutely salivate over gorgeous images, Peaky Blinders, The Crown, The Expanse etc all look spectacular.  Then when lens reviews come out and they rave about this anamorphic look, followed by minutes of talking-head footage not shot with the lens that may as well be them reading the spec sheet, then 20s of derivative B-roll with the lens that whispers "anamorphic look" while simultaneously screaming "EITHER I DIDN'T GET PAID ENOUGH TO SHOOT NICE LOOKING FOOTAGE OR I DON'T KNOW HOW".  

These videos are basically useless because:

• I can read the spec sheet for myself thank you
  • The amateur home b-roll of un-lit, un-composed, barely-graded footage does nothing to show me the potential of the lens

What I liked about this video is that it wasn't the above, it had a go of making something, it held my attention for the whole video, it showed off the anamorphic look far more than most other "I accidentally hit record" sample footage in other reviews.  Your videos where you've gone out and shot at sunset or at night are both visually nice and also useful, most don't even make that much effort.

Could it have been better?  Sure.  Could it have been worse?  Yes - at least he did something.

The name of the channel is "Make Art Now" and it was art - most reviews are the minimum requirements for a pay check.

6 hours ago, heart0less said:

+1

I wasn't quite sure, what I'm looking at - is it a short film, is it a review or what?
What's more, some funky user interface elements keep popping up.

And it lasts over 10 minutes.

I'm definitely not a fan of this production, even though I do enjoy some of his videos.

Yeah, it gets tiring really quickly.

It's art.  I can tell because he tried something and some people didn't like it.

TBH, that's something that's sorely lacking from YouTube camera discussions.

5 hours ago, kye said:

It's art.  I can tell because he tried something and some people didn't like it.

And I totally respect him for going on with it. For crossing the YT boundaries, for making something that is not your typical 'safe' kind of video review. 

I just don't get it, but that's okay - I simply skipped it and went on with my life. 

I wouldn't even have mentioned it here, if it hadn't been for Tito asking for some confirmation.